Emergency Room Doctor

lego.man

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im 15 and I want to go to school to be an emergency room physician. I am needing help on what schools i should go to.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking which undergraduate college you should go to? If so, it doesn't really matter, as long as you attend a 4-year university (not a community college). Your choice of college definitely won't affect your chances of getting into a certain specialty.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, you're 15. Thinking about it very early. Being a physician as you may know requires medical school. So first you need to go to an undergrad school. Any state university as long as its not a community college works. Work you butt off and get the best gpa you can. Then study your butt off for the MCAT and do good! Then, you can choose what medical school you want to go too. It will depend on your gpa and mcat. Also shadowing, research and volunteering. You have a long way to go so all this is explained during your undergrad studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't matter what school you go to, make sure you do the following:

- DO NOT attend a community college for any of your pre-requisites.
- Take all of the pre-requisites (speak with a pre-medical advisor) biology + lab, chem + lab, physics + lab, o-chem + lab.
- You will take the MCAT 2nd or 3rd year. (medical college admissions test)
- Your 4th year, you will want to apply to lots of schools! Most students apply to 10-25.
- Do fun but unique stuff. Volunteer, Serve your Community, Attend School Clubs, Obtain any possible leadership experience, and have fun.
- Seriously, have FUN.
- DO NOT get arrested or have to appear to court on anything. Even a misdemeanor could mean the difference between getting an acceptance versus none. Just think twice before partying to hard at a college. Have fun, but don't over do yourself.

I've pretty much summed up a lot of it. Consider all other fields before dedicating yourself to medicine, because it is a long and extremely hard process. However, a very rewarding field. Best of luck to you, we have a long way to go.

Go to the best college you can do well in.
Many successful medical students started in community college before transferring to a university. This is particularly true in CA.
Couldn't agree more. I've called medical schools, many of which request that you don't take your main science pre-requisites there at the community college?

Couldn't agree more. I've called medical schools, many of which request that you don't take your main science pre-requisites there at the community college?
There was a time when this was a universal recommendation. It no longer holds in many regions. We are moving to a competency based evaluation of skills.

There was a time when this was a universal recommendation. It no longer holds in many regions. We are moving to a competency based evaluation of skills.
That's really interesting, thanks for sharing.

It doesn't matter what school you go to, make sure you do the following:

- Your 4th year, you will want to apply to lots of schools! Most students apply to 10-25.
These are broad-stroke generalizations and/or wrong. You seem to post a lot on SDN so you may feel that you have an understanding of the process and timeline, but you should stop giving advice on how to get into medical school when you aren't even in college yet.

Reactions: 3 users
As someone who attended a 2-year community college before going on to attend a 4-year university, I can attest for being a non-factor during my interviews. I do not know how they weighed that prior to my interview invites however (each school is probably different).

@gyngyn word is fairly close to gospel from your standpoint.

Of note, a 4th year medical student who interviewed me shared that he was accepted on his 4th attempt.

Anything is possible!

These are broad-stroke generalizations and/or wrong. You seem to post a lot on SDN so you may feel that you have an understanding of the process and timeline, but you should stop giving advice on how to get into medical school when you aren't even in college yet.
Which ones are wrong? I spoke to 10 different medical schools to see on whether or not they would accept community college pre-requisites? A matter of opinion may be that it's changing as in a previous post. I suppose a few take their mcat their senior year? Most people do apply to lots of medical schools if they want to get in a first year. Other than the 2nd or 3rd year comment, what do you believe is wrong?

As someone who attended a 2-year community college before going on to attend a 4-year university, I can attest for being a non-factor during my interviews. I do not know how they weighed that prior to my interview invites however (each school is probably different).

@gyngyn word is fairly close to gospel from your standpoint.

Of note, a 4th year medical student who interviewed me shared that he was accepted on his 4th attempt.

Anything is possible!
Certainly, I think it could be accepted. But, it's somewhat of a touchy area as some aren't as accredited as others. Therefore, "the medical schools I talked too" recommended trying to stay clear of the science pre-requisites in college. :)

Which ones are wrong? I spoke to 10 different medical schools to see on whether or not they would accept community college pre-requisites? A matter of opinion may be that it's changing as in a previous post. I suppose a few take their mcat their senior year? Most people do apply to lots of medical schools if they want to get in a first year. Other than the 2nd or 3rd year comment, what do you believe is wrong?
I said wrong or a broad generalization.

WRONG - see previous comments

- Take all of the pre-requisites (speak with a pre-medical advisor) biology + lab, chem + lab, physics + lab, o-chem + lab.
This is changing at most MD and DO schools. Many now require BioChem, other's a Genetics specific course, etc. Don't over generalize.

The MCAT requires Biology, OChem, Gen Chem, Physics, Phych, Biochem. You will take 4-5 courses per semester in college. To prep, you will most likely take a 3-4 month MCAT course. BioChem and OChem require completion of G.Chem and Bio. There are only a few applicants, those who enter with prior credit who can be prepared to sit for the MCAT during year 2. Year 3 is an option, but if you look at AAMC data, most take it during their senior year.

The average matriculation age since the 2012-2013 cycle is 24. Most students do not apply during their 4th year simply due to the strain of balancing classwork, applications and interviews. So are you wrong, no. But again, you are making a generalization.

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but your data is mostly hearsay and referential. So when you make a comment that starts with "make sure to do the following", I have to call BS since you haven't actually DONE ANY OF IT. In four years, when you've done everything and have your acceptance in hand, then you can make declarative statements about how to get into med school.

Reactions: 2 users
I said wrong or a broad generalization.

WRONG - see previous comments

This is changing at most MD and DO schools. Many now require BioChem, other's a Genetics specific course, etc. Don't over generalize.

The MCAT requires Biology, OChem, Gen Chem, Physics, Phych, Biochem. You will take 4-5 courses per semester in college. To prep, you will most likely take a 3-4 month MCAT course. BioChem and OChem require completion of G.Chem and Bio. There are only a few applicants, those who enter with prior credit who can be prepared to sit for the MCAT during year 2. Year 3 is an option, but if you look at AAMC data, most take it during their senior year.

The average matriculation age since the 2012-2013 cycle is 24. Most students do not apply during their 4th year simply due to the strain of balancing classwork, applications and interviews. So are you wrong, no. But again, you are making a generalization.

I appreciate you trying to be helpful, but your data is mostly hearsay and referential. So when you make a comment that starts with "make sure to do the following", I have to call BS since you haven't actually DONE ANY OF IT. In four years, when you've done everything and have your acceptance in hand, then you can make declarative statements about how to get into med school.
Lol

A perusal of MSAR ONline tells you which med schools do and don't accept CC credits for pre-reqs. There is no rhyme nor reason to this.

And really, grapp, stop giving advice on matters in which you're ignorant.

People should take the MCAT when they are 100% ready for it.

Reactions: 5 users
Completely agree with everything @Goro and @CyrilFiggis said. Take your undergrad studies seriously, take as long as you need to prepare for the MCAT, and have meaningful fun extracurriculars.

As far as the community college discussion goes, I wouldn't personally worry about it as I did a large number of pre-reqs at a communtiy college before transferring to a 4yr university (including Gen Chem 1 & 2 w/ labs, Bio 1 & 2 with labs, and Orgo 1 & 2 w/ labs). I had 10 interview invites and was accepted at all the schools I interviewed at (MD & DO) and no one made any mention of it so there's some anecdotal evidence for you. If you want, just to be on the safe side, look on websites of the schools you're interested in just to make sure....but you're 15 so you're a long ways from having to worry about any of this.

The only extra info I would add is, given your age, it might be worth it to look into some of the 7yr Undergrad + Med School programs out there. Had I known at your age that I wanted to be a doctor I would've definitely explored that option as most of the undergrad years are on scholarship followed by preferred consideration for matriculation into that institution's med school. Some of the programs off the top of my head are NOVA, Univ. of South Florida, George Washington, Florida Atlantic Univ., just to name a few. Here's a link to an SDN article for starters: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2012/08/accelerated-bsmd-programs-what-you-need-to-know/

Agreed, it's cringe-worthy to see pre-meds give advice when they haven't even walked the walk. You'll hear plenty of people give advice on SDN, please don't follow everything you read no matter how confident the writer might be. Also, community colleges can be a very good option for many types of applicants, not just for non-traditionals finishing lower division pre-reqs. This is speaking from experience.

Edit: Just realised grapp is probably a high schooler. I rest my case.

Generally, I'd say to avoid taking pre-requisite science courses at a community college, but doing time at a community college will not hinder you (I never took the SATs and I did a year of community college before transferring to a 4 year and I got into a US allopathic school and ultimately my first choice residency program). In my experience some of the best professors I had were at the community college and I don't doubt that most community college chem, bio, etc. can prepare you just as well as a typical 4 year university. But the reality is that many people think of community colleges as somehow inferior.

Generally, I'd say to avoid taking pre-requisite science courses at a community college, but doing time at a community college will not hinder you (I never took the SATs and I did a year of community college before transferring to a 4 year and I got into a US allopathic school and ultimately my first choice residency program). In my experience some of the best professors I had were at the community college and I don't doubt that most community college chem, bio, etc. can prepare you just as well as a typical 4 year university. But the reality is that many people think of community colleges as somehow inferior.
What AdComs don't want to see is an applicant taking CC courses simply to bolster their GPA. Med school is challenging and they want to see that you've challenged yourself academically. But they also understand that not everyone can afford university tuition. I took two courses, one via UCLA extension and one at a CC. I was a post-bacc at a private SoCal University. Tuition was ~$1,400/credit. Because I had a BA already, I only qualified for 1 year of federal financial aid. Which meant in order to complete two courses, I either needed to find $10K (i didn't have) to stay in the school, or spend $1K to take it through the CC/Extension. It was a financial necessity.