Air Force Emergency Services Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an active duty Army physician, looking into going Air Guard next year when I get out.

What exactly is an Emergency Services Physician (44EX)?

Is that a residency trained emergency medicine physician? The criteria state that you must have one year GME and "completion of an emergency medicine physician course is mandatory".

Given that a three year residency is quite a bit more than a "course", is there some other training they are talking about? The job description sounds more like a "state of emergency" physician, not an actual emergency medicine physician.

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, a 44Ex is a residency trained emergency medicine physician.

this is something i've kicked around too. i'll be at the 14 year mark and unless something dramatically changes will be heading to different pastures. i'd like to build on my sweat equity and plan on working until retirement anyway so waiting until a more traditional retirement age is ok with me. from what i can tell the army reserves require a 6 year total committment, but i'm not familiar with the process (still a few years out). the people i know who have done this actually don't mind-- there's just enough headache to remind them why they got out, but they still get their (delayed) gratification for tolerating it.

--your friendly neighborhood military free agency in a few years caveman

Is that a residency trained emergency medicine physician? The criteria state that you must have one year GME and "completion of an emergency medicine physician course is mandatory"

No, residency is not required to be listed as 44E. There are some small hospitals where flight surgeons run the emergency room. To become a 44E3A and work at any of the larger facilities, you will need to go through residency training.