Emergency Shoes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderwaterDoc

Status Hispanicus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So against all odds, I will be starting my EM residency this July. It has come to my attention in recent months that I have a horrible case of collapsed arches, so I need some good shoes with arch support.

I was wondering if any of you could suggest a good, arch-supporting shoe for the budding EM intern. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Vibram%20Five%20Fingers%20Kso%20silver%20grey%20Shoes-9_1.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, and those sure are the shoes that a ninja doc would wear, silent and deadly while approaching malingerers :D

These are some things I've found helpful:

I never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. I have several pairs that I rotate. It lets them air and dry out.

I like NewBalance sneakers but I also like to put in aftermarket insoles. I really like the insoles from The Walking Store.

I like MBTs which are the pricier curved sole shoes like the Sketchers Shape Ups. The have done nothing for the shape of my butt but they are squishy and I feel like they reduce the amount of impact on my knees and back.

PS - reading this post has made me realize that I am truly old and I plan to quit wearing shoes all together. From now on I will drive around the ED on a motorized scooter waving my cane at the drug seekers.

Reactions: 1 user
Asics Gel running shoes. My feet never hurt.

I have hideously flat feet too, necessitating custom orthotics. Thankfully, my orthotics fit into my crocs, so I can wear those to screw up with the typical ED flora, and be able to wear my orthotics as well.

Went to Birkenstock and tried on pretty much everything at the store (even the ninja shoes above), walked out with a pair of Meller Air Cushions which I have to say feel like heaven on my feet, and will remain impervious to bodily fluids :D

PS - reading this post has made me realize that I am truly old and I plan to quit wearing shoes all together. From now on I will drive around the ED on a motorized scooter waving my cane at the drug seekers.

Just spit my drink all over my screen. Thanks a lot.

Mephistos with insoles from the walking store have worked out well for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if there is a running shop you can get to where they will watch you run and find a pair of running shoes to correct the faults in the way you move. New Balance, Asics and Sauconie could be good makes for you. Otherwise, go the custom orthotics route.

Agree with docB about wearing different shoes each day - different makes will change the way you stand and walk, so you are not putting strain on your legs and feet in exactly the same way each day. Have heels and soles repaired regularly, and if you can afford it, throw shoes out when they start to get too worn, as you lose the support they are designed to give you.

If you sort your footwear out properly now, your knees and hips will reward you for it when you are older.

I have no arch whatsoever. I'm on my 7th or 8th pair of Brooks if that says anything.

Same situation, cannot recommend Brooks running shoes enough. They're not cheap, but very comfortable.

I cannot kick the Croc habit. They are butt ugly, and if you try to walk over a freshly-mopped floor you might was well put in for x-rays after you fall, but my feet never hurt after a shift, and those little side vents keep my dogs from sweating.
10074_side_001.jpg

Last edited:
One of my friends wears Dansko (?) shoes to every class. They look like clogs...but apparently they're comfortable...

Shape-ups and MBTs :love::thumbup: have been phenomenal for my lower back, knees and flat feet.

Hate the Danskos. Love my Merrill mocs. I'm on my 4th pair. LOVE them.

I used to wear nice, slightly expensive walking/crosstraining shoes with good ventilation...

Then I had to change socks 3x in one shift due to blood/vomit/fluids-of-unknown-origin pouring on top of said shoes.

Now I wear crocs. They make them in fun colors. And they make a number of models with more arch support, and NO HOLES ON THE TOP. perfect. Also, now when my shoes are covered in blood, I can pour betadine on them, light them on fire, run them through a sanitation cycle in the dishwasher, and still wear them the next day.

I am all for Crocs. Plenty arch support and cushion. Much more comfort than I would have expected from them given the look and materials. Lots of vent holes to keep feet cool and dry. I've tried Birks, Merrills, running shoes. Nothing has been as cool and comfortable for me as Crocs....

I am all for Crocs. Plenty arch support and cushion. Much more comfort than I would have expected from them given the look and materials. Lots of vent holes to keep feet cool and dry. I've tried Birks, Merrills, running shoes. Nothing has been as cool and comfortable for me as Crocs....
A couple of ideas from a 60-70 mile a week runner with flat feet.

Sole makes some great insoles that you can custom mold to your feet.

Most "support" running shoes work to reduce pronation, rather than support arches, so be careful what you look for there. I've found that a good neutral shoe with an insert or orthotic can help out.

You can strengthen your arches over time. You might get a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers, New Balance minimus, or the new Merrell barefoot shoes. Or, for a cheaper route, get some spikeless crosscountry running shoes. Wear them progressively a bit more over time to work your arch muscles and tendons.

Danskos 4 Life!

Danskos +11ty billion. They are definitely NOT the most attractive things out there. But my high arches LOVE me after 12-13 hours in them. And I have two pairs depending on what pants I'm wearing that day. My feet havent hurt a bit since I started wearing them in January.

I've had some excellent luck with Merrells as an ER Tech working 3-4 12s in a row and transporting patients all over the hospital and never getting to sit down the whole shift.

I hate New Balance shoes, they just don't fit my feet well.

I love my Asic Gel Nimbus 12s. I actually need to get some more b/c the Saucony's I got to replace them work ok, but they just don't fit quite the same. These are the shoes that I use to train/run in, so not sure how they would be for ER shifts. Half marathon in the Sauconys on Sunday so I'll let you know.

Go try on a bunch somewhere like The Walking Company or something other than Foot Locker to see what style you like the best.

I've had some excellent luck with Merrells as an ER Tech working 3-4 12s in a row and transporting patients all over the hospital and never getting to sit down the whole shift.

Some shoes are good for walking, others are good for standing. It is a rare (nonexistent?) shoe that is good for both.

For a lot of standing around (OR, ICU, etc) Danskos are unbeatable.

For a lot of walking, I have some Ecco's and some Born (I can't make that little slash through the o) slip-ons that I could walk a marathon in.

But I wouldn't want to walk a marathon in my Dansko's, nor would I want to stand in one place for a few hours in my Ecco's.

I'm on my like..5th pair of Nike Air Max, it's the only thing I'll wear. If I don't, I have horrible lower back pain and my iliotibial band syndrome flares up on my left knee when I run over 4-5 miles. Dunno what it is about those shoes but all is well when I wear them, can run the ER all day long and feel fine after every shift as well as after every run. They don't last quite as long as other running shoes but way more comfortable and supportive IMO.

I see a lot of residents in my hospital wearing those damn black rubber Croc's. Those things MUST be comfortable because they look like poo.

I see a lot of residents in my hospital wearing those damn black rubber Croc's. Those things MUST be comfortable because they look like poo.

See, and I can't wear them (nor would I EVER want to) because my feet are too narrow and I have really high arches. So they give me no support and they have zero cushioning in the heel. Did I mention they are butt ugly and I wouldn't be caught dead in them?

I wonder what that dog is thinking.

"squirrel"!!!

as to the OP, i've gone through some airwalk slip ons until the threads wore out and they literally fell apart, and currently doc marten slips ons. i'm not ER, but i'm on my feet a lot. i tend to agree with the shoe rotation theory-- i go between new balance kicks and the doc martens with army combat boots thrown in (which aren't too shabby, either . . .

if kungfufishing is around, he'll add some good input. he's a bit of a shoe-phile.

--your friendly neighborhood barking dogs caveman

I was looking at the Dansko Wade boots and wondered if that would be good for somewhat formal/professional wear going into 3rd year. It seems that the regular clogs are worth a look at too.

For Dankso's, what type of leather do you guys think is best for the ED? I have black cabrio now, and was thinking about getting brown oiled leather vs. brown/hickory carbios. I wonder if the oiled leather would be a pain to keep clean, easily stain...

I have Flat, FAT feet and I'm in the OR all day. Nothing like a pair of crocs (I have the Baya) that allows me to free up my dogs and keep em cool for 10, 12 or 14 hours. Comfortable and cheap. Best $25 investment for me!

I like my Dansko's the best. But, I'm sort of a clutz and trip in them a lot. I'll probably ruin my ankle one of these days.

Sorry for the bump, which shoes are the best combination for both standing and running?

Dansko/Sanita isn't fit for running and Nike kills my back & achilles. Are crocs really comfortable?

There is no ideal combo shoe. If I'm "running" in the hospital, it's actually a very fast walk. Bad form to run (unless it's a code on the pedi floor. Grownup codes get surgeon-speed walking.)

I run (4 marathons, dozens of half marathons) in Saucony and get about 500 miles out of a pair. Did Adidas awhile, but now I'm a Saucony girl.
Merrill primo mocs are my go-to ED shoe. And that includes fast-walking to codes.

A good pair of cowboy boots, once properly broken in.

I'm a fan of brooks. They don't hold up well for running for me so I tried them in the ED. Haven't worn another brand for three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asics Gel running shoes = awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
The more obnoxious the better. Love my Asics!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 94
Crocs = feet sweat, all shift long.

I got Crocs with the side vents and I rock those bad boys on my shift. All other shoes either make my feet hurt after 8-10 hours or sweat like crazy. They are dog-ugly, no doubt. But IDGAS.

-_12616_001_ALT110.jpg

I'm not a doc or med student, but I do work as a CNA in either 8, 12 or 16 hrs shift. I bought into the hype of Dansko and it was such a bad investment :( they were just bad for my feet and painful. One doc suggested Merell Jungle Mocs and that was the end all be all for me. I have ridiculously high arches. One tick that I've learned so far with working long hours is to switch socks and new shoes. If I'm working 16 hrs, I bring two pair of socks and two pairs of shoes, my merrell and a pair of under armour sneakers. I'll wear one pair for the first 8 hrs and the second pair after that with new socks. I feel like my feet is some how rejuvenated after doing that and I haven't had issues since.

Cowboy boots.
It also lets me write them off.

There is an argument that the solution to weak arches is to decrease the "support". From a structural engineering standpoint, loads from above an arch strengthen then while pressure from below destroys them.

I can't claim to know the right answer but I can tell you which claim creates a market for expensive inserts...