Emergency Supply of medications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm00123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you usually handle emergency supplies for things that can't be broken, such as insulin or test strips?? With something like lantus if the patient needs it refilled but doesnt have enough for weekend before we hear back from doctor what would you guys do? I have heard some pharmacists say to just give the box and then run through insurance when doctor faxes back a new RX but then you have to rely on pt to come back and pay the copay right? the whole emergency supply stuff can get really confusing and also frustrates me. WHY cant people just call before they are completely out??? is that so hard to ask??

Members don't see this ad.

I've never given an emergency supply on either. I would do it for a regular customer that I know is coming back, otherwise they'd have to call the doctors after hours number. It really isn't my problem if you run out of medication and I'm not going to give away something that costs $100-300 on the hope that your doctor approves a refill and you come back to pay for it.

I never give out anything that cannot be broken. I do provide the address of the closest urgent care clinic. It's not like emergency supply is the only way for the patient to get their medication, it's merely the only one where they don't have to pay. And I strongly believe that stupidity is no the "get your medication free" card. I don't automatically give out emergency supply for tablets either, I will review how long they have been on the medication and on this same dose, if all prescriptions are from the same doctor or clinic, if they have been getting their refills on time... I suppose if I were full-time it would be easier since I would know my population better, then I perhaps would bend my "never" rule for exceptionally nice and proven to be reasonable and intelligent customers...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
tests strips no, that is not an emergency, plus they can pay cash to buy without a prescription if then need it that bad. I have done it before for insulin, only for very faithful customers. Does your store have a policy (if so follow that.) Otherwise, just do what seems best, as others have mentioned, its not your fault if someone waits until the last minute to get a refill. There is always the risk of getting burned on the co-pay, but its low if its a good, regular customer (you can always check their co-pay, to see how much you are risking, $5.00 co-pay not much, $50.00 maybe you want to think twice.)

Write out an emergency telephone script for the same directions as before with the assumption that the prescriber will grant the refill. Bill it, fill it, collect copay. Call the prescriber on next available business day and inform them about it. I have not come across a doctor who would actually refuse a refill on maintenance stuff like this.

Reactions: 1 user
Would the e-script/fax code go through?

Only phoned in RXs are not covered. So yes, you could lie and get the script to go through using a fax or escript code. For that matter you could use the written hard copy code. Be aware if you are audited you will at least lose the claim and possibly your ability to bill any Part B claims. Good luck running a pharmacy that cannot bill for Part B.

Only phoned in RXs are not covered. So yes, you could lie and get the script to go through using a fax or escript code. For that matter you could use the written hard copy code. Be aware if you are audited you will at least lose the claim and possibly your ability to bill any Part B claims. Good luck running a pharmacy that cannot bill for Part B.
How do you specify in the computer whether the RX is written, phoned or e-rx'd over? I work at walgreens and I'm not sure if there is a way to specify this. When I do it, it goes through so im assuming its automatically done under written if I scan it?

How do you specify in the computer whether the RX is written, phoned or e-rx'd over? I work at walgreens and I'm not sure if there is a way to specify this. When I do it, it goes through so im assuming its automatically done under written if I scan it?

At CVS there is a line asking for written, fax, phone in, etc. I have to assume there is a similar place in WG system to put that info. For CVS, eRXs and faxes will have that info pre-populated. Maybe WG system "knows" where the script came from depending on how it gets into the system.

You can always replace it with a real serial #. Just ask the doctor you to fax you a script on Monday.

Write out an emergency telephone script for the same directions as before with the assumption that the prescriber will grant the refill. Bill it, fill it, collect copay. Call the prescriber on next available business day and inform them about it. I have not come across a doctor who would actually refuse a refill on maintenance stuff like this.

As this would be both insurance fraud and dispensing a legend drug without a prescription, I love it when so-called "professionals" advise others to break the law.

Send them to the urgent care or ED. Why people are willing to break the law, or risk a $100-300 medication loss because of peoples stupidity is beyond me.

Reactions: 1 users
As this would be both insurance fraud and dispensing a legend drug without a prescription, I love it when so-called "professionals" advise others to break the law.
Send them to the urgent care or ED. Why people are willing to break the law, or risk a $100-300 medication loss because of peoples stupidity is beyond me.

Totally agree. Giving an ES is one thing, writing up an RX for it and billing insurance is clearly illegal.