Emory RSPH Fall 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Awesome!! Congratulations on all your choices :). I am going for Behavioral Science programs and am planning on concentrations in Adolescent Health/Reproductive Health. I've ruled out Boston (cost and distance), Ohio State (no research opportunities/want something new from my alma mater), and UC Denver (unless they give me a fellowship...but doubtful!); so I'm pretty torn between Emory and JH. I think a big factor is location--I'm ready for the warmth of Georgia, experiencing a more Southern culture, and have heard wonderful things about the location of Druid Hills; whereas JH is smack down in the middle of Baltimore--a big deterrent, especially for my paranoid-worried-about-his-only-child father haha. On the other hand, JH is not only reputable for it's public health program, but all around as being a phenomenal school. While ranking is important, Emory is still very highly ranked and has all the amazing opportunities with location in the "public health capital of the world." In fact, I'm pretty sure I read they have more job openings than students to fill them, and with REAL and all the other resources, it's definitely very appealing. Another thing to consider is just culture of the school in general--I'm used to the biggest public school in the country with rampant school spirit, and I'm undecided on whether transitioning to a small, private school would be a breath of fresh air for me or not.

At the end of the day I think both schools have excellent resources and reputations, so it's all going to come down to visiting (and financial aid but I don't even want to talk about that haha). I have had several students and professors reach out to me from Emory, whereas I haven't yet heard from anyone at JH, but I think actually meeting the people in your department and interacting with professors will play a huge role in determining what is the right choice.

Please let me know if you have any other points that have helped you in reaching somewhat of a decision. I can barely decide what to eat for breakfast, let alone where I'm going to invest my future and non-existent dollars, so I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least! Best of luck to you and hopefully I'll see ya at the visit days! :)

Congrats on narrowing it down to two schools! I am also extremely indecisive and freaking out about the amount of debt we will be facing! I hope to talk to alumni at Visit Emory and ask about the debt and how paying it back is going. I completely agree with everything you said about the culture, lifestyle, and safety of Emory vs. JHU. My overly-worried mom is definitely not thrilled about the idea of me living in Baltimore. I also already visited Columbia and didn't like it because it was such an extreme city school. So here is where my general thought process is at right now:

Yale has research that is perfectly aligned with my interests and faculty who seem extremely helpful and eager to work with MPH students, but I am slightly concerned about its ranking (13) and I'm not sure if that is stupid of me to worry about that. But it also has the Yale name, so that may slightly offset the ranking? Yale is also about 3.5 hours from home which would be great for me to be able to see my family without flying.

Emory has the CDC connection and the CDC is where I would love to work some day. It seems that most MPH students work there part-time and many get jobs there (or other amazing Atlanta public health agencies) after graduating. I could also see myself staying there to get a PhD, whereas that probably wouldn't be possible at Yale. Atlanta is also nice, affordable, safe, warm, and I have some family there. But it's a plane ride away from my immediate family which I was hoping to avoid- I am from NJ and go to school at U of Michigan and would love to not have to fly to see my parents.

Hopkins has the amazing reputation and I would be lying if I said the #1 ranking didn't influence me. It's also 1.5 hours from my family which would be great, and the infectious disease epidemiology curriculum is strong. However, I'm not sure quite how receptive faculty are to master's students working with them. It seems like they are less open and friendly than Emory and Yale. Also the second year 75% tuition scholarship offered to master's students sounds nice, but I'm not sure that it comes out any cheaper than Emory in the end.

Hopefully the visitation days and financial aid packages will clear up some of this confusion. I didn't realize until recently that financial aid would be almost entirely loans :(

It's going to be a tough choice but it's a good problem to have!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think a big factor is location--I'm ready for the warmth of Georgia, experiencing a more Southern culture, and have heard wonderful things about the location of Druid Hills;

I'm from Georgia and absolutely love the Emory area. I decided if I ever move to Atlanta, I'd choose Decatur because it's the best part (and I frequent it often). If you do choose Emory don't hesitate to PM any questions regarding the area!

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else fall in love with Rollins at Visit Emory day? I was so impressed and loved everything about it! Going to see Hopkins and Yale the next 2 weeks but pretty sure I will be choosing Emory :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome!! Congratulations on all your choices :). I am going for Behavioral Science programs and am planning on concentrations in Adolescent Health/Reproductive Health. I've ruled out Boston (cost and distance), Ohio State (no research opportunities/want something new from my alma mater), and UC Denver (unless they give me a fellowship...but doubtful!); so I'm pretty torn between Emory and JH. I think a big factor is location--I'm ready for the warmth of Georgia, experiencing a more Southern culture, and have heard wonderful things about the location of Druid Hills; whereas JH is smack down in the middle of Baltimore--a big deterrent, especially for my paranoid-worried-about-his-only-child father haha. On the other hand, JH is not only reputable for it's public health program, but all around as being a phenomenal school. While ranking is important, Emory is still very highly ranked and has all the amazing opportunities with location in the "public health capital of the world." In fact, I'm pretty sure I read they have more job openings than students to fill them, and with REAL and all the other resources, it's definitely very appealing. Another thing to consider is just culture of the school in general--I'm used to the biggest public school in the country with rampant school spirit, and I'm undecided on whether transitioning to a small, private school would be a breath of fresh air for me or not.

At the end of the day I think both schools have excellent resources and reputations, so it's all going to come down to visiting (and financial aid but I don't even want to talk about that haha). I have had several students and professors reach out to me from Emory, whereas I haven't yet heard from anyone at JH, but I think actually meeting the people in your department and interacting with professors will play a huge role in determining what is the right choice.

Please let me know if you have any other points that have helped you in reaching somewhat of a decision. I can barely decide what to eat for breakfast, let alone where I'm going to invest my future and non-existent dollars, so I'm a little overwhelmed to say the least! Best of luck to you and hopefully I'll see ya at the visit days! :)

Hey! How did you like Emory? I absolutely loved it and am pretty sure I will be going there next year! The community and opportunities there are incredible. Still going to Hopkins March 28th, but I don't see how it could rival Emory at this point. Hopefully going to see JHU will reaffirm these feelings.

Hey! How did you like Emory? I absolutely loved it and am pretty sure I will be going there next year! The community and opportunities there are incredible. Still going to Hopkins March 28th, but I don't see how it could rival Emory at this point. Hopefully going to see JHU will reaffirm these feelings.
Hey Hannah! I loved it as well--it was hard not to! They put on an incredibly impressive event and I was very pleased with everything from the research opportunities to the social events! My only concern was with how "suburban" the living areas are compared to what I'm used to, but with all the accommodations and how much time we'll be busy with school I don't think I'll have time to notice! Did you get a chance to explore any of the neighborhoods? I looked around Virginia Highlands and really liked it, however, I think I'm going to look into Decatur because I'd rather be in walking distance to school and drive to coffee shops and the like--not looking to purchase a $600+ parking spot!

I'm planning my trip to Hopkins now as well and am getting anxious to have some competition for Emory!! I'm with you though--hopefully it only reaffirms that Emory is the right choice and makes the decision easy :).

Hey Hannah! I loved it as well--it was hard not to! They put on an incredibly impressive event and I was very pleased with everything from the research opportunities to the social events! My only concern was with how "suburban" the living areas are compared to what I'm used to, but with all the accommodations and how much time we'll be busy with school I don't think I'll have time to notice! Did you get a chance to explore any of the neighborhoods? I looked around Virginia Highlands and really liked it, however, I think I'm going to look into Decatur because I'd rather be in walking distance to school and drive to coffee shops and the like--not looking to purchase a $600+ parking spot!

I'm planning my trip to Hopkins now as well and am getting anxious to have some competition for Emory!! I'm with you though--hopefully it only reaffirms that Emory is the right choice and makes the decision easy :).

The housing options are so nice, especially for the price! I didn't get to explore neighborhoods but I definitely want to live in Virginia Highlands or Decatur! I also want to make sure I live in walking distance to the school or very close to a cliff shuttle stop so I can avoid paying for the parking pass.

I got my financial aid offer though and it was all loans and REAL so that was a little disappointing. Do you know if Hopkins comes out to be a lot cheaper? Tuition is lower and there is the 75% second year scholarship.

Maybe I will see you at Hopkins this weekend!

Make sure y'all stop by Fontaine's Oyster Bar in Virginia Highlands when you visit Emory! :)

Hey all -

When you accept or decline your offer on OPUS there is a place where you have to put in you application number, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any thoughts on where this might be in any of the communication we've had from them or on OPUS?

Thanks!

Has everyone accepted Emorys financial awards even if you havent 100% decided on going (put deposit in)? I am most likely thinking of going there but just havent put my deposit in or accepted the financial award. Got a reminder email from them about the outstanding items and got paranoid/worried

Has everyone accepted Emorys financial awards even if you havent 100% decided on going (put deposit in)? I am most likely thinking of going there but just havent put my deposit in or accepted the financial award. Got a reminder email from them about the outstanding items and got paranoid/worried

Yea I got the same email. I'm still waiting that hopefully they'll offer me some kind of scholarship to match the ones I've received from other schools. Doesn't look like it, but still...

Hey all -

When you accept or decline your offer on OPUS there is a place where you have to put in you application number, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any thoughts on where this might be in any of the communication we've had from them or on OPUS?

Thanks!
Are you referring to the EMPL ID? I can find that when I click on some of the communications that Emory sent me through OPUS.

Are you referring to the EMPL ID? I can find that when I click on some of the communications that Emory sent me through OPUS.

No it is a second number called application ID. I actually found it yesterday in the original email they sent me offering admission. Thanks for the help though!

Has anyone who asked Emory for a reconsideration of financial aid or scholarship been awarded any?