Ems director of hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dre8

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ems directors here? I just joined a group, and our hospital is looking for a hospital ems director. I have no experience with this, but it seems no one in my group wants to do it. I think it would reflect poorly on our group to have a non-emergency physician in charge, so I am thinking of volunteering (it's actually a paid position at $125/hr, 5-10 hours per month). I would not be doing it for the money, but I do like to help when I can. The only reason I am posting here is because I know if I show any interest in the position (by asking questions), I'm going to be named director lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to the professional considerations, as I'm a medical student. As a paramedic, I would rather have an EM physician any single day of the week. I've worked under a non-BC emergency physician and, with some exceptions, it was a nightmare from the paramedic's standpoint. It was basically like moving a mountain to get anything done.

I will say this: all of the best medical directors that I've worked with have an actual interest in EMS. Being in that position means being the bad guy sometimes. A medical director who goes out into the field, knows what they're talking about, and provides reasons for why certain requests are denied is someone who is going to have the respect of field providers. If you're going to speak on something that is not inherently medical (e.g. provide your opinion into an operational decision), make sure you know what you're talking about. Nothing irks paramedics more than someone talking about how something should be done in the field and being 180 degrees in a different universe. I've seen it a few times and it's like watching 30-40 people in a room instantly stop paying attention. EMS is a distinct profession for a reason, even if does have a lot of growing up to do.

Professionally, I don't think $125/hr for 5-10 hours a month buys a good medical director. Is this position more of a liaison between the hospital and the local EMS service(s) in addition to a local medical director or is this a traditional medical director position? Personally, when I was in a position to have a say in such things, I was always the guy at the local level trying to increase the medical director's contracted salary. To me $$$ = better talent pool when we contracted. As I left, I was starting to see some jurisdictions in our state actually write a preference for fellowship-trained EM docs, which I think was a positive.

Finally, if this is a medical director position, make sure you meet with management before taking the job. You can probably predict how things will be pretty quickly. Do they want someone who is involved or someone who is just going to rubber stamp stuff (red flag)?

Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate your response. I'm not the county director but the hospital director, so it's different. But I think a lot of what you wrote applies as well. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a position where you are actually a medical director overseeing EMS providers? In other words does your hospital operate an ambulance? Or would you be working as a liaison between your hospital and EMS agencies that have their own medical directors?

I'm aware of EPs doing both but if you tell me which it is I can tell you better what to expect.

And $125/hr at ~5 hrs a month is pretty good. Hell, getting any money from doing EMS is good. Most of the time being a hospital EMS director (where you are the liaison type I mentioned before) is a volunteer position.

Reactions: 1 user
If you take the position, I would highly recommend joining NAEMSP and taking the medical directors course. It's offered every year prior the the annual conference; it covers a lot of the nuts and bolts you would need to understand the issues that face an EMS medical director.

Last edited: