EMS Elective! (EMS, Tactical, Flight, Hazmat, the works!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FDNewbie

Wanting to Retire...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

Thought I'd give everyone a heads up regarding what I think would be an awesome elective to sign up for. An elective very similar to this one is what sparked my strong interest in EMS, and my decision to pursue an EMS Fellowship. So if you're considering doing the same, this is where you wanna be. Or, if you just wanna have tons of fun for a month during your residency - while still learning info & skills very useful in your ED career - I'd check this elective out!

Oh and my $0.02 on Univ. of New Mexico's EMS experience: I honestly believe they have one of (if not the) best EMS experiences in the country, heavily involving docs prehospitally. And not just in supervisory roles, but with in-depth hands-on involvement.

The Elective Flyer is below. A larger version is attached as a PDF. And if anyone's interested, the URL to the Fellowship itself is here:
http://hsc.unm.edu/SOM/emsacad/EMSAFellowship.shtml

Enjoy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• EMS Elective.pdf
    153 KB · Views: 721
  • Fellowship Elective.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 537
That sounds like a great experience. Probably better than my EMS elective.

Shame it's in July, we all have to be in the department for shifts while it's intern orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I wish it was offered throughout the year. I'll see what I can do about that ;-) But I think the big advantage of July is that everything's already geared toward the Fellow's orientation, so having residents tag along is easy to accomplish.

Yea I wish it was offered throughout the year. I'll see what I can do about that ;-) But I think the big advantage of July is that everything's already geared toward the Fellow's orientation, so having residents tag along is easy to accomplish.

Hi FD,

A lot of the students going into EM at UNM are signing up for the Disaster Medicine class in september, but we were curious to see if you guys had anything cool for us to take. Does the EMS elective we have for students cover any of this stuff?

Hi FD,

A lot of the students going into EM at UNM are signing up for the Disaster Medicine class in september, but we were curious to see if you guys had anything cool for us to take. Does the EMS elective we have for students cover any of this stuff?
Not 100% sure, but I'll forward your question to the boss-man and find out.

I can tell you this though; the last Disaster Medicine class I saw come through a few months back came to a live tactical FTX (field training exercise), and got to experience flash bangs and the whole 9 :D So there's some overlap for sure.

Not 100% sure, but I'll forward your question to the boss-man and find out.

I can tell you this though; the last Disaster Medicine class I saw come through a few months back came to a live tactical FTX (field training exercise), and got to experience flash bangs and the whole 9 :D So there's some overlap for sure.

Nice man, thanks for the quick reply. Would you mind if you could pm me your salud account so I could ask you a question or two when application time comes?

Nice man, thanks for the quick reply. Would you mind if you could pm me your salud account so I could ask you a question or two when application time comes?
No problem. Here's the official answer:

"The regular EMS elective covers only some of the same material as the July elective. This is definitely as special, busy and exciting month."

Ie, the July elective is the one that really goes above & beyond.

Re: my email, PMed you.