EMT-B certification. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UC pre med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I live in California. I am graduation this June and am planning on applying to schools. But that gives me about a year of down time. I have always wanted to be an EMT and ride around in ambulances. I have no fairy tale expectations of the job, I know that more often than not it is granny transport. I still think it would be a cool experience. Could anyone give me some pointers on where to start? I live in San Diego, I want to get the certification over the summer if I can, but I have no idea where to start. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

if you have not taken any classes yet try looking at some of the local community colleges, they usually offer intensive summer programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I live in California. I am graduation this June and am planning on applying to schools. But that gives me about a year of down time. I have always wanted to be an EMT and ride around in ambulances. I have no fairy tale expectations of the job, I know that more often than not it is granny transport. I still think it would be a cool experience. Could anyone give me some pointers on where to start? I live in San Diego, I want to get the certification over the summer if I can, but I have no idea where to start. Thanks.

I really can't tell you much about the certification process in California, since I'm not certified in that state. However, you start out by taking classes at community colleges or classes provided by local instructors. You can call your local community colleges which can give you more information on start dates and certification process in your state.
Classes usually last about one semester and includes book work and skils (i.e trauma assessment, medical assessment, airway management etc.) After in class work, you start "ride time" where you actually ride with ambulance EMT's/paramedics and they teach you while responding to actuall calls. Once all this is finished, and you pass the class you are able to take the national registry test which is a computer based test.

Once you pass that test you are then officially certified. All states process varies and I'm not sure if california uses the national reegistry. But this is how you become certfied in my state.
Working as an EMT is great and if you want to get certified go for it. Just remember its more than riding around in an ambulance!

Last edited:
I would suggest finding a local squad first and foremost. They will often enroll you in a course themselves, and you might not have to pay for the certification because it comes out of their training fund. More importantly, before you get certified you can volunteer (often as like a cadet) and see if it's really for you.

Most hospitals and CC's offer programs. Most of the time, these programs aren't well advertised. The best way to get your EMT Cert. is to volunteer at a firehouse or ambulance core. They will not only pay for the tuition (usually after a probie period), but have all of the information regarding local programs.

It is very true that commercial ambulances, and even 911 ambulances are focused on the geriatric population. But be very prepared to provide one on one support to someone having a mental break down, or to hold a scared patients hand. It is however, a great experience, and a great way to get plenty of patient contact.

I would love to volunteer. I don't really need the money right now since I have another job but I just want the experience. I have had a lot of patient contact in hospitals and I kind of miss it. Where can I find these ambulance cores? I tried searching but I'm just getting local businesses that make the ambulances and stuff. Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the help.

I would love to volunteer. I don't really need the money right now since I have another job but I just want the experience. I have had a lot of patient contact in hospitals and I kind of miss it. Where can I find these ambulance cores? I tried searching but I'm just getting local businesses that make the ambulances and stuff. Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate the help.

Are you in a rural area? Physically drive down to the local firehouses, are they volunteer or are they paid?

Generally, the more rural, however some cities/towns follow this model, the higher change it is a vol. If it is volunteer, make sure they have ambulances (most likely they do). Then, call the firehouse (generally after work hours, around 6pm). Tell them your interested in joining and would like some more information. The person of contact you get, will be a very valuable source of information. If there department isnt a fit for you, ask them about surrounding vol. departments.

This is how just about everyone who is a Vol. EMT came to be.

Once you pass that test you are then officially certified. All states process varies and I'm not sure if california uses the national reegistry. But this is how you become certfied in my state.
Working as an EMT is great and if you want to get certified go for it. Just remember its more than riding around in an ambulance!

Uhhh... it's only a little more than driving an ambulance. As a basic, that's pretty much all you're qualified to do - be a truck driver.

O2 and transport, baby. O2 and transport.

That's all you need to know to pass the EMT-B NREMT exam.

Uhhh... it's only a little more than driving an ambulance. As a basic, that's pretty much all you're qualified to do - be a truck driver.

O2 and transport, baby. O2 and transport.

That's all you need to know to pass the EMT-B NREMT exam.

its the truth. EMT's are very romanticized is public opinion/media.

No, I'm not in a rural area at all. I'm in San Diego actually. I guess I should just start calling them up and seeing what they need and if they have volunteer positions.

Are you guys even EMT's?! I would say not cause no one in ems would. say this. Please learn more about what we do on a regular basis. Emt's may not have the highest medical certification but we are the ones responding to medical emergencies when citizens need our help along with paramedics. Paramedics have the highest certification in the ambulance but if you ask any medic they will tell you that they need a good emt to perform their job.We are all part of one mission and that is to help patients. People that want to work in healthcare should not put down other medical professions.

You forgot BSI and scene safety! :laugh:

Damn it. I just failed the NREMT. :eek:

Are you guys even EMT's?! I would say not cause no one in ems would. say this. Please learn more about what we do on a regular basis. Emt's may not have the highest medical certification but we are the ones responding to medical emergencies when citizens need our help along with paramedics. Paramedics have the highest certification in the ambulance but if you ask any medic they will tell you that they need a good emt to perform their job.We are all part of one mission and that is to help patients. People that want to work in healthcare should not put down other medical professions.

Don't get butthurt, man. I just tell it how it is.

and yes, I was an EMT-B.

I am. I work for AMR in their highest call volume district. I agree, paramedics do need good EMT's to assist them. The better the EMT, the smoother a cardiac call goes.

I love my job. I just believe it is grossly romanticized. 7 out of 10 of my patients on a 12 hour shift are generally non-emergent, drunks, or addicts. Do they deserve the same level of care? Absolutely. But maybe only 5-6 calls in about 40-50 are severe or are "a medical emergency in which citizens need our help."

Last edited:

I'm a medic and I'll tell you now that a good EMT is better than a bad Paramedic. Sometimes EMT's can keep you from trying to think so far outside the box.