EMT-B to ER-T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjl12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How translatable are EMT-B's to Hospital work? For example, ER-Tech, etc.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this? If so, how much experience as an EMT-B did you have prior to transferring into Hospital work?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked as an ER Tech as an EMT-B. Bear in mind this was 1991 so it may not be relevant anymore. At that time there was no set amount of experience required. In my case I had been a volunteer at that ER so I was a known quantity.

This is really location and facility dependent. Some facilities may require experience. Some won't. It varies by region as well.

Are you looking at a particular area?

Most Patient Care Techs in the ER are required to have CNA certification, and EMS experience is usually favored. Some may require CNA only, CNA & EMT, or only advanced care such as a paramedic licensure.

It all depends what the ER director wants, how much money they have, and where you are. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked as an ER Tech as an EMT-B. Bear in mind this was 1991 so it may not be relevant anymore. At that time there was no set amount of experience required. In my case I had been a volunteer at that ER so I was a known quantity.

This is really location and facility dependent. Some facilities may require experience. Some won't. It varies by region as well.

Are you looking at a particular area?

I'm around the Philly area and have approximately 18 months till undergrad is complete. Looking to get involved now though. EMT class begins in March and ends in August... hoping I can put it to some use!

How translatable are EMT-B's to Hospital work? For example, ER-Tech, etc.

Does anyone have any personal experience with this? If so, how much experience as an EMT-B did you have prior to transferring into Hospital work?

Your EMT instructors will probably be able to give you good info about your local hospitals. I know most hospitals in my area require you to have ambulance-work experience. The idea is, they don't want to be training a new EMT on how to apply the knowledge from EMT class. They want you to already be able to recognize different things and be able to intervene, even if it's only ABCs type things.

When you say ambulance work, does transport qualify as such? I hear it's very difficult/rare for a new EMT to get involved in EMS without at least a year's experience or having some special connection(s). I imagine I'll be starting off doing transport... hopefully that experience will qualify me to get involved as a technician somewhere oO

I think 911 experience is highly preferred, but not required?
But realize you'll be competing against many EMTs with a few years 911 experience. I do see the occasional new EMT go straight into the ER, but they always have some kind of ER contact that hooked them up.

As far as 911 jobs, it depends on your area. In LA, it tends to take a few months to get hired on at a 911 company. Depends on your persistence, how active you are in calling and visiting them, social/professional ability and vibe. I know of people who keep getting told there aren't openings, but then another person who's a go-getter comes in and gets an interview (without an "in"). Also, not all companies want IFT experience...some view it as a negative (since there's a good chance you learned bad habits at the smaller companies...stereotyping, yes).

It totally varies by state and hospital. I was a licensed EMT for 9 years. A hospital I worked at in Minnesota required EMT licensure, another hospital I worked at in Washington State required a CNA license (Which they basically just gave you), and the last place I worked at in illinois just required 6 months of experience in an ED.

I worked as an er tech in ca in the 80's right out of my emt-a (now basic) course. they trained me how to give im injections, draw blood, start iv's, give neb tx, etc on the job. it was a great introduction to medicine. I did it for 4 yrs while in college then went to medic school.