EMT Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mafunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This spring I'll be taking physics II (pretty easy) and Ochem (a drag). I also volunteer 8 hours per week and sit in on other classes 8 hours per week. I will also be taking the kaplan MCAT course.

Do you think I would have time for the basic EMT course? It is 8 hours one day per week? Has anyone taken it? Does it require much studying?

I would like to enroll in it so that after I apply to medschool (June 2012), I can get a job with the local ambulance service. Fortunately I know some folks there and am pretty sure they will hire me if I get me cert.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think I would have time for the basic EMT course? It is 8 hours one day per week? Has anyone taken it? Does it require much studying?

It is relatively easy. If you consider physics pretty easy though, I wonder about your frame of reference:)
The standards probably see some fluctuation from state to state. Here in NY its high, but still, the course is basic.

You will have to put in some quality time, and 8 hrs a week should be fine. If you have taken anatomy or have any kind of basic 1st aid training, you're already ahead of the game.

I took an EMT-B course. It did not require much outside studying. I had to read 1-2 chapters per week. I took notes while reading which helped with the weekly tests and the NREMT exam at the end. The practical skills are all done during class hours. There were multiple programs offered in my area. I chose not to take college credit for it and went with the local volunteer Fire Dept's program.

I did a very intensive Wilderness EMT class that basically shrunk the EMT-B part down to three straight weeks (14 hours a day of lecture and study). After cramming that much material, we still had a 97% pass rate on the national exam. So, really,three solid weeks of material, spread out over an average semester, is totally doable, even with Physics and O-Chem. I say go for it. :thumbup: