EMT- Q & A- Need some Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakingzooming

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had some questions about being certified EMT-A or B.... how do I go about doing that? (in Chicago?)

- How long does it take to be certified?

- Is there an option to be an EMT volunteer or is it just straight up cerfication only?

Thanks for the time and help. Much appreciations.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Freakingzooming
I had some questions about being certified EMT-A or B.... how do I go about doing that? (in Chicago?)

- How long does it take to be certified?

- Is there an option to be an EMT volunteer or is it just straight up cerfication only?

Thanks for the time and help. Much appreciations.

you can do this at most community (junior) colleges or universities. just go online or call one and look for info on the EMT programs. it took me one semester to take the class where you do all the bookwork and practical work, and then i took the national registry exam a month after the class was over.

this was for EMT-B. i've never heard of EMT-A. you might be mistaken, but i thought there was only the -B, -I, and -P EMT classifications. to work or volunteer as an EMT-B you will need your certification.

the class is relatively straightforward and there is a ton of busy work. but the stuff you learn is awesome. i work as an ER tech and all the stuff from my EMT cert is applicable to my work and i volunteer on the side.

it's fun and well worth the money to do this. plus you never know when you might need these skills, albeit, the role of the EMT-B is somewhat limited.

Freaking, if you i.m. me your location in Chicago I may be able to find a class for you. I am working right now as an EMT-B for a private company in chicago and I could ask around. One thing I would want to add to lattimer's post....There are several places in Chicago that offer intensive summer programs to get your certification. That way, you can finish the class in 2-3 months in the summer instead of approx. 6. Good stuff. And I'm not sure about your last question, there's only certification but then it depends what you do with it. As for being a volunteer as an EMT-B in Chicago, where/with who? I don't know companies that will let you do that really. I think it would probably be an insurance type issue. Why not just work part time instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
EMT- A is really old, it's what came before EMT-B replaced it.

I can't offer much specific advice, since I'm in Virginia and for Basic, states do things differently, but it's been my experience that big cities have paid crews, while towns tend to have volunteer crews. I worked in Williamsburg where they had a full-time paid crew, but supplemented it with volunteers (like me).

I'm not sure if EMT-A is around anymore, unless it refers to some type of first responder training, but then now even most first responders are EMT-B cert'd. I dunno how it is in chicago but I live in a pretty rural area and we have alot of volunteer fire depts. that do mostly medical assist runs--to answer your question about being able to volunteer. There are plenty of other ways to volunteer those services too.....like with the Special Olympics which has a medical team on site during these events. You should be able to find a class easy....any college or university, our ambulance service here teaches classes 2 times a year.

i THINK i've heard of EMT-A being used to designate someone as a first responder with training on how to use an AED. although every AED i've seen requires no training. but i think that's what i've heard.
all of your questions seem to have been answered.
streetdoc

hi all,
I don't think there is any volunteering in Chicago proper. Maybe maybe in a hospital er if you really want to give of your time you can do scut work and the emt-b might help you but really you might as well get paid for it. There most likely are more volunteer opportunities downstate. There is no EMT-A here. There used to be EMT-D, which you are able to use a defibrillator, but I think that is only used downstate and I think is being phased out. Why defibrillators aren't available on basic ambulances and EMT-B's aren't trained for them IMHO is asking for trouble (I was trained in them abroad). It's all automated anyway, and if police cars and public buildings around chicago have them nowadays we should too. I think the reasoning might be that we can get to a hospital or an advanced ambulance quicker around the city if something goes wrong, but who knows.

They are starting to put automatic external defibrillators in shopping malls and airports. They are nearly idiot proof. I believe that many states are including AED or SAED (semi-automatic external deficrillator) training in EMT-B classes. When I was an EMT, I took a class and was certified to use an SAED...the class I took included first responders (mostly firemen).

In Kentucky EMT-B's are trained on AED...and bls trucks have them. We also have EMT-I's that are trained to do IV's--I dunno if this is the only thing that sets them apart. Probably common knowledge lol...oh well.

In IL there is an EMT-I designation but only downstate in rural areas. I have been trained as an EMT-I abroad and I wish I could use it in Chicago - where for some reason they don't use it. Nice little story for those who are interested as to why I think there should be EMT-I's (Since I have already caused this thread to go on a tangent)...

My partner and I (both EMT-B's for private) were called to a nursing home for a patient that is having trouble eating and was to go to a certain hospital to get evaluated and possibly get a g-tube. We get there (after waiting about 5 minutes for the staff to change him from the gown that is filled with food from the staff trying to force feed him. It ends up that he hasn't really eaten or drunk anything for 3 days. We get in the room, and find him unresponsive to pain (sternal rubs) and with a huge amount of turgor. Obviously the nursing staff is not paying attn. so we get him down to our rig asap. His blood glucose and vitals are pretty much stable, but we give him O2 because it's pretty much the only thing we can do, and he has a history of respiratory failure. We call medical control, and instead of them letting us go to the hospital lights and sirens to a hospital that would take us 4 minutes to get to, they have us wait for our ALS rig with an eta of 15 minutes (public would have taken longer or the same amount). So, we sit in our BLS rig and wait...wouldn't it have been nice to try to get an IV in him while we wait? In the meantime, from oxygen alone, he starts to come to and starts to pull his oxygen mask off. Our ALS comes and can't get an IV in, so finally we leave. He keeps going from reponsive to pain to responsive to verbal, but by the time we sit at the hospital waiting for a bed he's reponding with one word answers to our questions. Btw, can anyone explain me how this happened from oxygen alone?

I am a Connecticut EMT-I and former EMS-Instructor. EMT-A was the old designation for a basic EMT. EMT-D was developed when AED therapy became a skill for basic EMTs. At the beginning, AED training was not part of the standard EMT training; hence, those who recieved additional training to use AEDs were given the designation EMT-D. AED training is now part of the basic EMT-B curriculum and is also a module which may be taught to first responders and lay people as part the American Heart Association's CPR training.

There is a national EMT curriculum put out by the National Registry and they administer teh National Registry exam for certification. However, each state has its own certification requirements. Some accept the national standard and others do not. To confuse matters more, some states are divided into regions which set their own protocols and procedures.

Overall, the basic EMT course is about 130 hours. The EMT-Intermediate certification course can be taken after and teaches more advanced patient assessment skills, IV skills and advanced airway management skills (Combi-Tube in some states, intubation in others). Not all states or regions within a state recoginize the EMT-I level. EMT-Paramedic is the next level up and usually takes 12-14 months to complete. Paramedics are trained in advanced life support and can administer a variety of drugs under standing orders or medical control direction. They also intubate patients and can perform other specialized techniques such as needle chest decompression, etc.

With regard to the elderly patient who went from unresponsive to A+O with just O2. What was the patient's initial SaO2 and the rate and depth of his respirations? Lung sounds? It sounds like he wasn't moving enough O2. If just increasing his FiO2 was what brought him around, his brain cells must not have been getting enough on room air. By the way, its too bad you had to wait for an ALS unit. Was it not possible to intercept on the way? Did they wait on scene to try to get an IV established? That is a pet peeve of mine. IV starts should be done en route - that's why we are called mobile intensive care units!!! Unless there is a really good reason (very poor access, etc.) transport should not be delayed just to start an IV. It must have been very frustrating for you, having the training, but not the authority to do it yourself and get moving.

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess when I looked this up on google, I was getting some old information about the A vs the B. Or I guess the titles vary from state to state. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great post bean..The patient's breathing rate was a bit off (I don't remember if it was slow or fast but it wasn't anything alarming), and lung sounds were clear. Since I am a lowly BLS, I didn't have a pulseox, and by the time he got one from the als he was already on the oxygen for quite a while (I don't recall what the spo2 was, this was a few months ago). I don't think medical control took an intercept into account because what would have been the smart thing to do was to let us go the 14 blocks to the hospital ourselves. And nope, they tried 2-3 times to get one in him before moving. However, what was the most frustrating was waiting for over 30 minutes for a hospital bed at the more busy (and obviously full) hospital that medical control agreed the als to go to (we joined them for the ride) when there was a closer hospital to the scene that was just down the block and is usually less busy. When we left the als crew they still didn't have a bed. Thank goodness by this time the patient was talking and pulled off his own ekg stickers.

I got my initial emt certification in california in the 80's. at the time if you completed the course and only did hospital clinicals you were an EMT-1. if you also did ambulance clinicals you were an emt-1A (ambulance)which was the required cert to work ems. the emt-1 folks could only work as er techs. after college I did an emt-p program which was a great way to spend a year and gave me a great deal of exposure to emergency medicine. I worked as a medic all the way through p.a. school and don't regret the ems training for a second.

Virginia just recently made their paramedic programs mandatory 2 years. They used to have different ones that were shorter, one I think was 9 months, but super intense. My fiance is near the end of his first year in the paramedic program. Virginia is also one of those states that has different protocols in different regions. Some places can do a lot more than others.

I have a question off topic....is it normal or advisable for someone to get a paramedica license after only having been an EMT-B for a couple months? I'm contemplating doing this after working on a BLS truck this summer, I feel like I'll be unsatisfied without being able to do more in certain situations lol.....although I can look forward to this feeling for 6 more years until I start a residency somewhere. Just looking for some insight..thanks.

I can't speak from experience how much time you should have before starting an EMT-P, because I am not one. But just curious about your timeframe. In your state, is the class time one year or two? And know that after your training you most likely (if it's similar to IL) need to complete certain types of cases before being able to test for your certification. Now, if you are working for public or a place that has more "action" then it might not be hard. I have a friend who has been working for nearly a year after finishing her class (working suburban public and chicago private) and still doesn't have her cardiac case under her belt. Kinda sad that you have to wait for somebody to die before getting your certification. Another thing, do the people you work for cover your class to become an EMT-P?

Originally posted by PluckyDuk8
I can't speak from experience how much time you should have before starting an EMT-P, because I am not one. But just curious about your timeframe. In your state, is the class time one year or two? And know that after your training you most likely (if it's similar to IL) need to complete certain types of cases before being able to test for your certification. Now, if you are working for public or a place that has more "action" then it might not be hard. I have a friend who has been working for nearly a year after finishing her class (working suburban public and chicago private) and still doesn't have her cardiac case under her belt. Kinda sad that you have to wait for somebody to die before getting your certification. Another thing, do the people you work for cover your class to become an EMT-P?

It usually takes a year and a half....the ambulance service as well as the university i'm at offer classes. It also requires 250 hours of clinicals in the hospital in several areas, and 500 hours ride time being precepted by a current paramedic. And yes there are so many things you have to do...so many intubations, so many of this or that...heck i dunno lol. I was surprised to know that they do clinicals in the ICU and surgery. Sorry about my ignorance on the subject.

hey JC,
ultimately, the decision to become a medic is yours. i was a basic for a rural service for only 3 months when i started the NREMT-P class. it really makes no difference how much experience you have before class because you learn TONS during the clinical/ride time. i went through a "speedy-medic" class that lasted only 9 months but we were in class 9 A-6P 2 days /week and had to do our clinical time over night or on off days (i was working full time during class). i believe registry has made the class longer (added A and P). i know how you feel being VERY limited in you abilities and knowledge, and that's why i did it. the class really isn't that hard, it's just memorization! i think you learn just a bit more about medicine and get a bit more respect as a medic...and maybe a few extra bucks in pay.
how much longer do you have in school?
best of luck with the decision.
streetdoc

I blame this reply on too much coffee after my shift...
Speaking as a moderately experienced paramedic, I just want to make a few points. I seek your forgiveness for this outburst.
With respect to the nursing home call...
- Yes, you often do sit on scene, maybe even in the house, to start an IV. What if you wanted to administer dextrose to the hypoglycemic patient? Definitive treatment can be performed in the comfort of their own bed! Other examples abound. The old "start every IV enroute" chestnut is a good example of taking one specific recommendation (minimize scene time for the emergent trauma patient) and generalizing willy-nilly.
- Was it medical control (a physician) or your company dispatch that asked you to stay on scene? If a basic crew waited for us I would question their judgement. If medical control ordered a basic crew to wait for us I would make sure that they clearly understood the geography and timing issues. If that didn't play, then document and follow up on it. If you company wanted you to wait, I would have to wonder if they intended to turn the BLS transfer into an ALS fee.
- Who knows why the patient's LOC improved? You just can't tell why things happen sometimes. The few times that your therapies will have an immediate and causal relationship to a patient's improvement are memorable. Maybe the oxygen did help his hypoxic delerium. Maybe the new smells and noises of the ambulance shook him out of his stupor. Maybe he waxes and wanes all on his own.

EMS is a wonderful field. Even as a paramedic, with my "vast" range of drugs and devices, I feel that I have just begun to appreciate the complexity of the social, scientific, and ethical judgements that must be made in medicine. Good luck freakingzooming.

Originally posted by streetdoc
hey JC,
ultimately, the decision to become a medic is yours. i was a basic for a rural service for only 3 months when i started the NREMT-P class. it really makes no difference how much experience you have before class because you learn TONS during the clinical/ride time. i went through a "speedy-medic" class that lasted only 9 months but we were in class 9 A-6P 2 days /week and had to do our clinical time over night or on off days (i was working full time during class). i believe registry has made the class longer (added A and P). i know how you feel being VERY limited in you abilities and knowledge, and that's why i did it. the class really isn't that hard, it's just memorization! i think you learn just a bit more about medicine and get a bit more respect as a medic...and maybe a few extra bucks in pay.
how much longer do you have in school?
best of luck with the decision.
streetdoc

I have at least 2 yrs of undergrad left....really I haven't been paying much attention to the time...hmm maybe I should. Anyhow I'm thinking that it will more than likely be 3 years since I didn't start out wanting to go into medicine--that happened only after I started working in the hospital. The paramedic thing is just something I wanna do regardless, so I'm gonna go ahead and do it. Just stick with the long version of 1 day a week too.

Originally posted by paramed2premed

- Was it medical control (a physician) or your company dispatch that asked you to stay on scene? If a basic crew waited for us I would question their judgement. If medical control ordered a basic crew to wait for us I would make sure that they clearly understood the geography and timing issues. If that didn't play, then document and follow up on it. If you company wanted you to wait, I would have to wonder if they intended to turn the BLS transfer into an ALS fee.

Medical control was a physician from a hospital system that our ambulance company belongs to. We knew the timing issues very well, because we frequent that nursing home often and do transports from the nursing home to the closest hospitals frequently as well. It definitely wasn't a fee issue at all.

Pluckyduk8, that is just bizarre. Did you ever find out why they ordered that? That order just seems to flout common sense.

If I had been you, I would have been throwing stuff around the ambulance, cursing a storm. If a basic crew waited for us onscene, I would go ballistic. I am not that special as a pramedic; I admit that doctors can do a few more things than I can. To paraphrase streetdoc...

the class really isn't that hard, it's just memorization! i think you learn just a bit more about medicine and get a bit more respect as a (doctor)...and maybe a few extra bucks in pay.

As a basic you have weighty responsibilities; as the saying goes, medics save lives, and basics save paramedics!

Hey paramed, I like your saying!

Us EMT-B's, somebody in my company called us sargeants of oxygen...You know like the soup nazi, NO O2 for you!

I think that we are there to make sure that nothing goes wrong, that patients don't crap out. I'm really scared that it will happen. I've heard stories of it in our company.

I got lotsa nice stories if you're bored.

Don't worry about patients crapping out. They'll do that, for the most part, despite what we do. All this technology and training has only a marginal effect. I'm not being jaded, I'm just staying humble.

As for stories... I started a thread in the Pre-osteo forum called EMTS AND PARAMEDICS REPRESENT!!! I believe that a higher proportion of DOs are former B's, I's, and P's than are MDs. The response on the thread seems to bear out that hypothesis. It's not just for pre-osteo's!

<Plucky follows ST over there>

Maybe we should lobby to get our own forum? We are a part of medicine after all....It should go under the healthcare professional section or something...that way we could share our concerns, stories, etc. I think there are enough of us.

I have a funny story from this morning although it had nothing to do with me. Seems they worked a code this morning, als truck there, and also the feild supervisor who drives in a response car of his own to augment in situations like this....the fire dept responds too...so the medic super rides back with the als truck....i find all this out after i see the supers car at a stoplight with the lights going and a firetruck behind it...seems the firefighter who drove it back to the hospital didn't know how to turn the lights off or forgot-----ah maybe not funny but it sure was at the time.

Yesterday, one of my fellow paramedics did a full code response through downtown, leaning on the siren, passing cars, blowing red lights. He told me that it seemed like he was getting more than a few dirty looks from other drivers.

Turns out his lights weren't on. Oops.

Sweet Tea, are you a stretcher monkey?

PD8, it's funny, I was thinking as I logged on today, "hey, the nurses have their own forum..." Who do we talk to about this? Or maybe we should just invade the RN forum!

*growls at the use of the term "stretcher monkey"*

our medics are all IRV. which is nice b/c we often get on scene way before they do, get to do the assesment, and are able to meet the medic en route. and for BLS calls we do everything. so no, i don't just transport people back and forth.

My profoundest apologies. I had no intent to diasparage or belittle. My term was meant to include all of us (EMTs, medics, all of us) who do 3rd-story carry downs for back pain in the obese 35 year-old guy, or extricate grandpa from the back room of a very narrow and cluttered mobile home. I meant no disparagment of the basic or intermediate. This thread is about sharing, respect, and love!

I had seen your postings before, and I just did not realize you were a prehospital care provider, just like me! Thats what I meant.

Oh god, no one start a flame war over this...

ah no worries!! around here, "stretcher monkey" or "truck monkey" aren't very nice terms for the EMT-Bs. it's all good!!;)

but yes, i am an EMT-B. and yes, i do carry obese patients down 3 flights of stairs in stairchairs not meant to handle 400 pounds (how did these people get UP to the 3rd floor in the first place??), and i extricate little old people (and some big ones, too) from very small spaces. i really do think that they should teach EMT students how to spineboard patients in very small spaces...no one ever falls and breaks a hip in the middle of a big open area! i also respond to UNC campus, so i'm quite familiar with the drunk-off-their-a$$-18-year-old-freshman.

hey EMT-Bs/Is/Ps...does "Some Dude" live in your area and go around randomly beating up people who were innocently walking down the back alley at 3:30 am? He's been a quite the bully around here...

Oh how appropriate...
I won't go into the whole situation now because it's 11:15, I finished my shift an hour late, and I need to go in to work tomorrow morning on my off day to get stupid hipa training.

We had a situation today where we had to call in our company's als to assess...Anyway, all I want to say that if you are a medic please respect your EMT-B's...yah we can't do a lot but we aren't idiots and we may have knowledge from the outside. They wouldn't take our bullet, look at our paperwork from what happened earlier before they got there, and they ended up saying that our pt. was going back to the nursing home from dialysis instead of the hospital without doing a physical assessment. There's more to it than that, but this ended up in a write up and it has been a long day. US EMT-B's are people too! They were emt-b's once upon a time. If they ever end up in the er while I'm a doc they are going to be in trouble.

"Taking our bullet?" Is this the Secret Service forum?

Seriously, taking report on a patient is a crucial element, if not of actually conveying and receiving information, at least of communicating respect and professionalism (both ways). As a provider, it is one of our few ways to illustrate our astute observations and therapeutic decisions. Ignoring a patient report happens in the hospital too, and causes quite a bit of acrimony.

Don't worry about if those paragods come in when you are a doc. You will be to busy getting dissed as you attempt to give a patient report to the surgeon who cares only that you have woken him from slumber. For a patient with no insurance. Or worse, no white count.

On the other hand, you will struggle to feign an interested attitude in the patient reports given to you by nurses and medics.

I have been on both sides, repeatedly, every day. When I intercept for the basic services I make a concerted effort to listen to their report. This can be very hard if the report stinks! When we arrive at the hospital, even nurses I know will ignore me and start talking to the patient: "Sweetie, what are you doing here?"

(Don't get me started on calling patients sweetie, honey, or dear...)

Originally posted by paramed2premed
(Don't get me started on calling patients sweetie, honey, or dear...)

hehehe...come work in the rural south and you might change your tune about that. ;) actually, i usually stick with calling patients ma'am, sir, or mr/ms so-and-so. but it's not unsual for me to call them sweetie, either (esp if they're really scared and you know they won't mind being "sweetied"). this carries over into my clinical research (once again, in rural NC), too. but usually i stick with ma'am or sir.

*please excuse the blabber...it's early and i've yet to finish my coffee*