Emt to Paramedic to Traumasurgeon (how possible)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Romelf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's my story, I'm 20 years old, turning 21 this July and I'm finally getting to a place in my life where I can focus on college and becoming a doctor the way I want to, due to personal set-backs. I am about to start my EMT course at my local community college, and I figured i'd work as a EMT study some more become a paramedic maybe even a firefighter while I'm getting my BA degree. Its just me paying for school and supporting myself. So until I actually finish med school im going to need to be working. My question is How possible is it to go from being a paramedic to becoming a trauma surgeon. I have always wanted to become a surgeon since I was young and becoming a doctor is a dream. Not because of the money but because I want too save lives everyday for my career. Please offer advice on my plan and any tips. thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I also work with a couple of DOs in the ED who were both paramedics prior to medical school. I'll go even further to say there is a 50 yr old trauma surgeon who also works in the same hospital that did not begin medical school until he was 35. If you can show aptitude and determination, you'll get there.

If becoming a doctor is your dream, why spend the time to become a paramedic?

Working as an EMT is a great way to gain exposure to the health care system. Working as a paramedic won't really help you much more than being an EMT-B will (most people don't seem to know the difference), and to become a medic will take ~30+ credits of specific courses that won't apply to anything else.

I would suggest finishing the EMT class, getting a job, and taking classes towards a bachelor degree.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for you responses, after thinking about it I'm going to go back to finish my general ed. credits then transfer to Uncc in charlotte and major in biology and I haven't decided on a minor yet. My dream is to be a surgeon not an EMT so im going to work on that. I should be back in school by the summer. I have to keep telling myself I'm only 20 and I'm not that far behind.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks to your introspection and @Gurby's comments, it sounds like you've figured out what I was going to tell you - skip being a paramedic and focus on becoming a doc.

I used to be an EMT and then paramedic before I decided I wanted to go back to school. It was totally awesome and I wouldn't trade those experiences, but I did "waste" a lot of time because I enjoyed what I was doing more than doing the work of getting into medical school. If you wanted to do something clinical for a job while in school, being an EMT isn't a bad choice - the training is short and easy, the hours can be flexible, the pay is ok depending on situation. I wouldn't go farther than that, though. Becoming a paramedic is a lot more responsibility and requires a commensurate investment of yourself. Basically, not worth it if your end goal is not being a paramedic.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
-one of the trauma surgeons at my hospital ended up taking this route. grew up on the south side of chicago w/ no family contribution. worked as an emt turned paramedic. put himself through prereqs at the local state school. got into washu for med school and was on an upward trajectory from there. the guy is now a high ranked officer in the air force and has deployed multiple times. it all started w/ his decision to become a first responder however. stay positive!
-he's also yoked and has a demeanor which is unmatched by some of the other trauma surgeons i have run across!

Last edited:
It sounds like you have already figured it out, but there is no reason to become a medic if you want to be a doc. I didn't realized I wanted to be a physician until paramedic school, so personally, I don't regret becoming a paramedic. However, as others have posted on here, EMS can be a rabbit hole that sucks you in (because it can be tons of fun) and spits you out a few years later when you realize you could have already finished medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there any thoughts on community college first for general ed. credits. I graduated high school at 17 and didn't have enough credits for college. Honestly I really wasn't thinking about college then but now that I'm focused on school and med school I'm at community college until I can transfer next year to a 4 year university. How do you all think this will affect my future application to med school? will they look down on somebody that attended community college first? does it really matter if my GPA and future MCAT scores are high? I would like your opinions, tips, and advice.

Are there any thoughts on community college first for general ed. credits. I graduated high school at 17 and didn't have enough credits for college. Honestly I really wasn't thinking about college then but now that I'm focused on school and med school I'm at community college until I can transfer next year to a 4 year university. How do you all think this will affect my future application to med school? will they look down on somebody that attended community college first? does it really matter if my GPA and future MCAT scores are high? I would like your opinions, tips, and advice.

I spent 3 years at a community college, and I will be starting med school at the end of June. I would save science courses (Bio, Chem, Ochem, Physics, Biochem, etc) for a 4 year college, but you should be fine.

First, get into medical school, before worrying about specialty.

Start shadowing some doctors so you know what their day is like.

Despite the EMT work, also do some volunteer clinical work, so you don't come off as an adrenalin junkie.

Then do some non-clinical service work to demonstrate your altruism and humanity.

And read this:
Amazon product

[shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine from our salad days.]

Ok so here's my story, I'm 20 years old, turning 21 this July and I'm finally getting to a place in my life where I can focus on college and becoming a doctor the way I want to, due to personal set-backs. I am about to start my EMT course at my local community college, and I figured i'd work as a EMT study some more become a paramedic maybe even a firefighter while I'm getting my BA degree. Its just me paying for school and supporting myself. So until I actually finish med school im going to need to be working. My question is How possible is it to go from being a paramedic to becoming a trauma surgeon. I have always wanted to become a surgeon since I was young and becoming a doctor is a dream. Not because of the money but because I want too save lives everyday for my career. Please offer advice on my plan and any tips. thank you in advance.

I second what Goro said, but he's pretty much always right...

Anyway, you probably won't be working IN medical school, it's too hard. You don't need a minor, unless you need extra classes, and you don't need a bio degree unless that's what you want... Get the degree that you'll get the best grades in... and if you can take your EMT course for an A, do it.

Same boat here. I am an EMT working on an ALS truck and I love/Hate it. The notion of it sucks you in is very real. I will be quitting to get exp. in a hospital while I finish classes. I have learned a bunch and experienced a lot in the back of the ambulance. I can't imagine doing anything except ED medicine. Go back and forth between surgery/medicine. Stlll a year away before everything gets going but it will help you with patient care etc. However, being a doc is whole other kettle of fish.

I can't speak to the EMT/Paramedic part- as you can see there are several differing opinions on that above

What I can reiterate is Goros point #1- get into med school first.

If you're walking down the street looking 20 blocks ahead with your iPod on, you probably won't notice the "do not walk" blinking, get hit by a bus- then you'll need a trauma surgeon. Too much?
I'm saying one foot in front of the other. Long term goals are great to keep you motivated, but what's important is what you need to do NOW to keep you alive and moving toward them.

Look both ways before you cross the street. ;)

I'm an EMT-B and it provided some very good opportunities for me to get into medical school. However, spending 2 years additional to become a EMT-P is not a good use of your time and you can get sucked into that rabbit hole like someone said.

Keep your passion, use it to secure a spot as a medical student, and put in the work to get where you want to go. Don't go EMT-P unless you want that as an end goal.

And yes, get diversity, as in clinical medicine.