EMT Training Details

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtle1epiphany

Junior Faculty
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So while I'm waiting for responses from the 20-something med schools I applied to for fall 2004, I've decided to take some charge and plan my summer in case I don't get in.
I'm really interested in taking an EMT training course, but I have little information about what the course would involve (aside from some obvious things...cpr, emergency procedures in general/specific situations...).
Also, I'm assuming that there's a standardized exam at the close of the course to gain certification, is this test very difficult?
Finally, once you gain the certification is there a large market for EMTs? or will it be difficult to find work and experience?

any details or web sites are very appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

I'd wait to see if you get accepted before you commit to it. If they accept you then, unless you want to do it for the fun of it, you will waste a good deal of time and money.

In my state, the EMT-B course I took was about six months long, was taught at a local vo-tech, and met two nights a week for three hours. It involved a lot of the things you mentioned, was pretty basic, and is not difficult for someone who has a reasonable shot of being accepted to medical school. It involved some emergency room "observation" and some "ride time" with ambulance crews.

At the end of the course you take a standardized test which is pretty basic and a practical exam which is fairly high-stress but not particualry difficult. I say high stress because you go from station to to station demonstrating tasks which have to be done "by the book" or you fail the station.

As for employment, it depends where you live. It was next to impossible to get a job as an EMT-B where I lived. Too much competition from former firefighters and cops who were looking for a change of pace. Plus I already had a job and was not interested in jumping through the hoops required to be hired.

Volunteering was difficult, too, because our local Fire Departments don't take volunteers even if you are certified and the local ambulance companies generally won't let you ride for liability reasons.

In the end, I got certified, scraped up enough volunteer hours to honestly put "volunteered as an EMT" on my AMCAS application and let it go at that. I had a lot of fun when I actually got to ride along with ambulance crews but it didn't really help me at all in medical school. (I did gain a tremendous respect for the skills of paramedics) Maybe if you are squemish seeing a few cool accidents will help get you over it. But everybody starts medical school at the same level and you will be taught everything you need to know.

One thing Panda Bear did not mention is that there is a national written exam (150 multiple choice questions). It was not hard either, especially if you are a smart person trying to get into medical school.

My class was at a local community college for 5 hours twice a week. I would definitely look into job opportunities before taking the class. I learned too late that you have to become a firefighter if you want to work for the fire departments. Otherwise you can work in a hospital ER, and I am finding that not many hospitals are hiring EMTs now. If you want a job, you might look into a CNA course, and then you can work in all areas of a hospital. I have found at least 100 CNA or Patient Care Tech jobs, and only a few EMT jobs. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I found EMT class to be a great deal of fun, and I believe that for the average pre-med it is incredibly easy. Also, since the class is for EMT-basic certification, there will be many topics that you will probably wish they had covered more in depth. Overall, the class was great, and the hands-on parts were really fun.

At the end of the course, we took a state skills exam (hands-on) and then a National Registry exam. I wouldn't sweat about either of these, especially since you've already been through the MCAT. There is absolutely no comparison.

As for the job market, that really depends on where you are located. I volunteered for several months before I was hired, but it was actually more fun before it became my "job"...go figure.

I think that taking the course is a great idea for future docs, because after working in EMS for a while you'll find that most doctors (excepting some specialties) have no idea what to do in a true emergency happening out in the general public. Even if you don't get a job in EMS, you might need to help a family member someday. I've responded to my brother's home for a diabetic emergency and to my granddad's home for a broken hip. Those situations are not fun by any stretch of imagination, but you'll be glad you know what to do.

Also, check out www.nremt.org if you want to look into it more.

Good luck!

if you are competent enough to feel you can apply for med-school, you can easily handle EMT training...but remeber, it is emergency care..so not an office setting, you have to be prepared to think on your feet...I will recertify emt-i this summer.

what do the EMT-i and b designations stand for? are they grades as one follows another and signifies greater training or responsibility? or are they different in the situations for which you are prepared?
also, as far as volunteering goes, what sort of positions are open to an EMT certified student or recent graduate? i'm kind of unclear as to what an EMT does...i thought it might be working on an ambulance crew (not driving as i assume that requires a special license), but i'm not quite sure. i'm deciding between the EMT and a CNA as both are somewhat simple to get (short amt of time particularly) and they allow me to get a decent job for good pay or do more as a volunteer.

EMT-B = 110 HRS/6 MONTHS FAIRLY BASIC, YET IMPORTANT STUFF
EMT-INTERMEDIATE = 500 HRS AFTER EMT-B(NOT OFFERED IN ALL STATES). ALLOWS EMT A FEW PARAMEDIC LEVEL SKILLS LIKE IV'S
EMT-PARAMEDIC = 1200+ HRS AFTER EMT-B. THE GOLD STANDARD IN EMS. FULL SCOPE FIELD ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT SKILLS

FORMER EMT-P ( LOVED IT !! )

My EMT-Basic course was for one month in the summer at a fire department. The class was 8-5 M-F. If you take the class outside of the college setting, far less hours are involved. If you take such class at a volunteer agency, it is often cheap or free if you will commit to volunteer with them.

As for EMT-Intermediate, my class was at my volunteer EMS agency from Feb-May, 6-8pm Tue & Thur.

My Paramedic course was at a community college with a prerequisite of being an EMT-I. The class was January-August, and met 4p-10p, Tue & Thur. However, we normally didn't show up til 5, and rarely left after 8.

The summer course is great to get started, and the EMT-I & EMT-P courses are good if you're already working full time in EMS or another job & are in school.

Just for reference, it is important to understand the different EMT levels. For the state of Texas (most states are very similar):

EMT-Basic (Basic Life Support Skills, such as bandaging/splinting oxygen administration, patient assessment, etc.)

EMT-Intermediate (EMT-B Skills, plus Intubation & IV's with fluid administration)

EMT-Paramedic (EMT-I Skills, EKG Interpretation, Cardioversion, Defibrillation, Medication Administration including narcotics, Needle Thoracostomy, Needle/Surgical Cricothrotomy, etc.)

This is off the top of my head, so if you have any additions, you may do so.

The EMT-B course here at UCLA that I'm doing is an "accelerated" course, and runs from 8-5 M-F for three weeks.

From what I hear, the state of California (or perhaps it was LA county) doesn't afford EMT-I's any more scope of practice than EMT-B, so it isn't worth it to do the intermediate step.

Originally posted by OSUdoc08
Just for reference, it is important to understand the different EMT levels. For the state of Texas (most states are very similar):

EMT-Basic (Basic Life Support Skills, such as bandaging/splinting oxygen administration, patient assessment, etc.)

EMT-Intermediate (EMT-B Skills, plus Intubation & IV's with fluid administration)

EMT-Paramedic (EMT-I Skills, EKG Interpretation, Cardioversion, Defibrillation, Medication Administration including narcotics, Needle Thoracostomy, Needle/Surgical Cricothrotomy, etc.)

This is off the top of my head, so if you have any additions, you may do so.

This is pretty much how NY is. Except they have a EMT-D. Which was for defib.

EMT-B's & EMT-I's use AED's, and EMT-P's use Manual defib. So there is no EMT-D, but do they use manual defib?

Originally posted by Daedalus
From what I hear, the state of California (or perhaps it was LA county) doesn't afford EMT-I's any more scope of practice than EMT-B, so it isn't worth it to do the intermediate step.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/Legislation/regs3.asp

"100106. Scope of Practice of Emergency Medical Technician II (EMT-II).
[...]

(6) Administer, using prepackaged products where available, the following drugs:
(A) Sublingual nitroglycerine preparations; (B) syrup of ipecac;
(C) lidocaine hydrochloride;
(D) atropine sulfate;
(E) sodium bicarbonate;
(F) naloxone;
(G) furosemide;
(H) epinephrine; and
(I) 50% dextrose.

[...]

(D) administer calcium chloride;
(E) administer morphine sulfate; and
(F) utilize snake bite kits and constricting bands."

Of course, not all local EMS agencies will allow 'full boat'. But back East, intermediates were only allowed to tube and IV.