Emt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phenom832

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in University currently pursuing a Exercise Science degree and would like to go into Physical Therapy the problem is I have like a 2.5 gpa and thing is i dont think i have the grades to get into grad school. I looking into double majoring as a athletic training also.. But this summer I was wondering if it would be worth getting a EMT basic?? I think im going to get my firefighter certification next summer maybe?? But what would be the pros and cons?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in University currently pursuing a Exercise Science degree and would like to go into Physical Therapy the problem is I have like a 2.5 gpa and thing is i dont think i have the grades to get into grad school. I looking into double majoring as a athletic training also.. But this summer I was wondering if it would be worth getting a EMT basic?? I think im going to get my firefighter certification next summer maybe?? But what would be the pros and cons?

Wait, so you want to be a fire fighting, athletic training physical therapist doctor with an EMT certification and an advanced degree in exercise science? Focus man - choose a career! Nothing wrong with having broad goals and life experiences, but I think you're going a bit overboard here. Plus, maybe if you concentrate on less things, you can start raising that GPA because you will not get into medical school with a 2.5 end of story.

no no ha im just trying to keep options open. Only reason i thought about athletic training is cause i take most the classes for it in exercise science. I dont want an advanced degree in exercise science just my BS

Members don't see this ad :)
Only go for an EMT certification if you can/will use it. It looks bad from an admissions point of view to get the certification without using it.

And as far as keeping your options open, your time is better spent raising your gpa. Having a 2.5 is closing many more doors than any of the other pursuits will open for you.

The certs don't mean much, but the experiences do.

I have Firefighter 1&2, EMT Basic, water rescue tech, and about 300 hours of various rescue certs. This is also my 8th year as a firefighter, which is way more important than the paper I accumulated.

EMT is very useful as a firefighter, and not too many fire guys have it. It gives you some extra experience dealing with patients in an emergency setting. But work on one before the other. I typically see firefighters get EMT certified, not the other way around as much.

First, I'd focus on the 2.5 GPA before taking on more than you can already handle.

If your focus is med school, you need to get your gpa up and that should be the main priority. Then, you should work to do well on the MCAT. Once you have those in order, you can look into ECs or other jobs. Your experiences will mean very little without some decent numbers. If your goal is to keep options open, you risk closing the door to med school (if that is what you really want).

The certs don't mean much, but the experiences do.

This. Having the training won't help, but actually using it will. Find out if people taking the classes have actually been able to get a job. I know in my college town, it was very difficult to use the EMT cert, making it a bad option to pursue.

Status
Not open for further replies.