Encouragement for a TBR MCAT Study Victim?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatSyndrome

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in the third week of SN2ed's 3-month schedule and have some concerns. First, I am unsure what to think of the scores I have been getting on the TBR passages. In Orgo and Gen Chem I am typically scoring 75-80% correct on the passages I have done thus far, which I would think is pretty good at this point. However, in physics I have been scoring in the mid 60%'s for the majority of the first 3 sections (section 1 I scored mid-70%'s for 1/3 and 2/3). I am frustrated by what I believe to be low physics scores, especially considering that when I miss problems it usually is not because lack of knowledge but because of stupid mistakes (math) or misinterpreting the problem. I am studying Bio with EK (as per SN2ed's schedule) and have scored lower on the TBR passages as well (65-70%), but am not as concerned because TBR's bio passages are pretty ridiculous.

I am also frustrated with verbal because I seem to be really hit or miss. There are some passages from EK 101 which I find super easy and don't miss any questions, while there are others which I miss 3/7. I really try to identify why I miss questions and improve upon my verbal weaknesses, but I can't seem to get above the 9-10 range in EK 101.

Any suggestions, advice, stories or the like from those who have been in my shoes or taken the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have anything to add except that I am in a similar situation. I am doing pretty good on the Chemistry concepts. Bio, I'm actually doing well. Maybe it's because I'm reading TBR's bio section. Maybe it's because my neurobiology class stressed a lot of the concepts that have been covered. But the physics section is eating me alive as well. I'm also scoring about 60%. I think I may just suck at physics though.

I think its all about persistence, learning what you get wrong and watching your scores slowly improve. Its that or throw in the towel IMO.

I will say that I also have suckith'd at thy physics too. My caveat to that is I knew near nothing about physics going into it so really scoring 60% has been good for me in perspective. Still got a month to learn the other 1.5 TBR physics books.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're beating me. I'm scoring 60%ish on TBR, and 70%ish on EK Bio. I think good review of passages will see the biggest jump, just as a solid review of a full length will be the most efficient with score bumps.

With that said, I definitely need to be more efficient and energetic with my passage reviews.

Your scores are pretty solid, keep studying. Some of the BR questions seem designed to be missed, including info from way later chapters or being worded incredibly ambiguously, it forces you to review.

I made my 3 month schedule based on where I knew I was strong (reading and essay) and where I knew I was weak (science). I am taking the test September 11th. I am posting all my notes on http://everythingmcat.blogspot.com I am studying from a two pronged attack. I study based on the content outline provided by the test makers (AAMC) and I am studying the information I get wrong on the pretests I am taking (I plan to take 10 pretests). It has been a long time since I took chemistry, biology and physics (10 years), so the notes I make may seem overly simplified... however I think it would be helpful for others who have waited a long time in between starting college and taking the MCAT. I hope some of my notes may be beneficial to others. Good luck on the test.

I figure you're doing pretty good, based on several hours of lurking the threads. Most people who start threads like this get in the 60% range I think. Are you averaging 60% or are you consistently getting 60% or higher each day you do a series of passages? I'm also doing SN2ed's schedule, and I'm working on chapter 6s. I'm averaging about 61% in physics and gen chem, 65% in org chem and 51% in bio. I find I often miss questions because I've failed to memorize whether compound x is a strong acid or weak base, or where hormone y is made, and otherwise my math skills are super terrible. I'm currently telling myself it's okay to suck so long as it's during the studying phase and not on the actual mcat.

I'm averaging around 80-85% on TBR Gen-Chem, Physics, and Orgo, and 55-60% on Bio. It's a killer.

We're driven by numbers in this game so it's hard to tune them out. That's exactly what you need to do though.

Tune out the %'s. Make sure you know why you get things right or wrong and learn from that.

When you finish phase one, take a practice exam and see how that dials it in.

You'll be surprised.