About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

encouragement for those who bombed step 1 like me

Discussion in 'Step II' started by airmax81, Oct 27, 2007.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. airmax81

airmax81

Medical Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    i did moderately well during basic science years (M1-M2), never honored anything, and aside from not passing physiology and having to re-take the exam over the summer, i didn't fail any other courses.

step 1, i studied the "standard" 4-5 weeks x10-12hrs a day using Kaplan Qbank and my own review books. that's honestly the hardest i've every studied in my life. I took the test and walking out i didn't feel good about it.
    my score came back 4 weeks later... 182 = pass by the hair on my chinny chin chin

i was hoping to match into an emergency med residency (mildly competetive but increasingly so) and so this was a huge discouragement.

during 3rd year, i worked hard and changed my study method a little bit.
    after not scoring well on my first shelf (medicine), i started incorporating questions into my study regimen to a greater degree.
    ie instead of going through a Pre-Test book 1 week before my shelf and going through a book like Case Files (to supplement reading from other review books like Blueprints- which i never finished for any rotation), i went through
    Pre-Test 2x and Case Files 2xs before each shelf (this would usually take at least 2 weeks)

I'm not advocating either book, they worked for me, but my point is doing more questions helped me perform better on my shelf exams.

so when summer pre-Step2 came around, i decided to do massive amounts of questions (USMLE World is definitely awesome) over the course of 6 weeks (time I took off to study for Step 2... IF you need to improve on Step 2, I would NOT recommend only studying the "2 weeks" you generally hear from everyone... that's usually for people who just need to pass. Though taking 6 weeks off between M3 and M4 means you wont finish as early as your peers, we're talking about future career here, so it's worth it).

In those 6 weeks I worked through
    - NMS Step 2
    - UW 1.5X
    - Step 2 secrets 1.5x
    I then did a 4 week EM rotation and didn't have much time to study, but found that learning EM was helpful because a good amount of Step 2 questions are in the setting of the emergency room (ie "what's your next step in management" types of questions- one EM residency director said up to 30% of step 2 questions is EM related... i don't know if that's 100% accurate, but from experience it seemed that way).

I took the next 2 weeks off to go through all the questions I got wrong on UW.. this means I completed UW close to two times.

I took the NBME practice test the week before and scored 208. This was a disappointment because I thought I would do much better than that (going in my realistic goal was 220-230 range).

I then took Step 2 and was surprised how straightforward it was compared to Step 1. this could be for many reasons
    1. it really is more straightforward
    2. clinical info is generally easier *for me* to remember
    3. i spent 6 weeks preparing
    .. some of the questions were so straightforward, I was wary if there was some trick. i dont want to give the impression that it's easy or even "easier" than step 1, because maybe it's just that i studied more and clinical info is easier for me to remember

all in all, I felt good leaving the test center.

my score came back within 3 weeks online (i think it's because my test date was at the end of a testing block or maybe because it was electronically reported and not via snail mail) and i got...

i was amazed cause i historically suck at taking tests.

in short, i'm still applying EM and interviews are slowly trickling in (i'm expecting them to come in early Nov- which is when most EM interviews are offered). One of the most competetive programs in the city i'm in offered me an interview last week. i thought that was incredible given my step 1 score, and it made me more confident that I would be able to match in EM in the city i prefer.

SO.. if u bombed step 1, keep your head up.. work hard during 3rd year, do massive amounts of questions throughout the year and definitely spend more than the "standard 2 weeks" to prep for step 2.
  2. jdig

jdig Member

SDN 5+ Year Member
    thanks!!
  3. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Congrats. Man reading your post I thought "I don't remember posting this" :D
    I can definitely relate to some of the things you mentioned(i.e...re-vamping study technique in 3rd year, studying for CK during EM, feeling CK2 felt not so hard but yet unsure if I was being tricked, also applying for EM with interviews trickling in....)

My score should hopefully return this week. I am nervous but I left the test center feeling okay..so hopefully I get exciting news.