Endo Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunnydent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is another one of those questions. Has anybody heard of a student being accepted into an Endo residency with a NDBE I score of 85. I am debating if I should retake it or not. Although this is no excuse, I had a death in the family and other obligations that prevented me from fully focusing on studying for the boards. I do have a descent gpa. Any constructive information will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I appreciate the fact that you have a decent GPA, but class rank is what really counts. A decent GPA doesn't always mean a decent class rank. Do you know your class rank?

I'd say that you must retake Part I to get into a program, unless you do a GPR, AEGD, or practice for a while.

Endo programs are notorious for taking high board scores, but often they look past that and at experience. In the case of endo programs, it is much easier to match if you have done a PGY-1 somewhere, or practiced after graduating.

If you have no intentions of practicing first, or doing a GPR/AEGD, then you have to score above a 90 at minimum. In some cases you'll need a 95 or better to get an interview.

Good luck.

Hey Gavin!
That was interesting info you gave to bunnydent. My impression of endo residencies were that they were very into the numbers, gpa and class rank. I wasn't aware that they look at GPR residencies or number of years in practice. I scored a 91 on part I and since my GPA is average I thought that all hopes of endo were out the door. Its good to know that there are other routes, besides the straight one, to get in. As for you bunnydent, my only advice is contact some schools that have endo programs and ask them what exactly it is they are looking for and whether you should take your boards again. I had already spoken to the head of the endo program at my school and he had stated that you really need to be in the top 10% of your class and high board scores are a must. That is why I at least felt endo was not in my reach. Again good luck! And remember where there is a will there is a way. Don't give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
gradM.S. said:
Hey Gavin!
That was interesting info you gave to bunnydent.... I had already spoken to the head of the endo program at my school and he had stated that you really need to be in the top 10% of your class and high board scores are a must. That is why I at least felt endo was not in my reach. Again good luck! And remember where there is a will there is a way. Don't give up!

Endo is notoriously difficult to get into, but having some real-world experience makes it much easier.

ItsGavinC said:
In the case of endo programs, it is much easier to match if...

I didn't think that endo programs participated in match. Do they?

I know these sorts of "what are my chances" posts can get old...but hey, what are my chances for endo? 90 on part one with good GPA/ top 5 in my class. While I gather that a GPR might enhance my chances, how much more competitive would this make me? Is it becoming increasingly normal for those with even stellar board scores to complete a GPR as well...so that I might become more competitive than if I didn't do a GPR, but perhaps still not competitive enough?

ElDienteLoco said:
I didn't think that endo programs participated in match. Do they?

Most don't. So it many ways it becomes a "the sooner you apply, the better your chances are" issue.