Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Endo Residency Question Regarding License by Credential (GPR)

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by DMD42013, 01.04.13.

1. Thanks to Crack the NBDE
  1. DMD42013

DMD42013

Dental Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I am planning on completing a GPR program during the 2013-2014 year and then hoping to transition into an Endo residency in summer 2014. I am from California which allows licensure by credential via GPR/AEGD, and I plan to return to California if I need to go out of state for an endo residency as my family and spouse to be live here. Has anyone completed a licensure by credential via the GPR route and then directly entered an Endo residency?

From what I gathered on AAE, most programs do not require a home state license, so if I finish a GPR program in June 2014 and start an Endo residency in July 2014, will this be a problem for me since getting a CA license takes 4-6 weeks? I would rather not take a licensing exam and save the money to put towards the fee to applying to Endo programs since I know I am doing a GPR program for sure and that I want to live in CA (even if I have to take a pay cut). Can anyone please give me advice on this situation? Has anyone ever had a problem doing this? Any advice that can be given would greatly be appreciated.
  2. sleeplessinsf

sleeplessinsf

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did exactly that. I finished dental school in CA, did not take the WREB, went directly to GPR, and right afterwards started ENDO in NY. As soon as I received my GPR certificate, I applied for CA license and completed all paperwork without paying for the licensing fee. They will put your stuff on hold indefinitely until you are ready to return to CA. After I finished ENDO I worked for a few months in NY and decided it's time to move back to CA.. a few weeks before moving back I paid for the CA licensing fee and received my license in 2 weeks. In the future if you want to go to another state (say TX) and need to take the WREB, even if you fail, you can just retake WREB because you already have CA license and they can't take that away.

A big risk of taking the WREB first is that if you fail, you can't do a GPR later to get your CA license, because a CA license requirement is you can NOT have failed WREB in the last 5 years... so you just have to keep retaking the WREB until you pass. For me, it was safer to get my license through residency. I hope this helps.

3. DMD42013

DMD42013

Dental Student
    Thank you so much for your advice! So you did not have any problems then with starting your Endo residency without your official license yet then? Or did you apply to states that accept Licensure by Credential only? Do you think I would have a problem in any Endo residency going the route I am thinking?
  4. sleeplessinsf

sleeplessinsf

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think it varies by program, but most programs don't require you to have a full license. My program just needed a limited license which if you graduated dental school etc should be sufficient and the program should take care of all paperwork for you. For me, while waiting for NY license (which also requires GPR) I started residency with limited license and a month into the program got converted to full license when the process completed. I was able to moonlight throughout my program because I had a full license.

Again only a handful of states will do licensure by residency, and like I said I think most endo programs don't care if you have a full license or not but you should check with the program to be sure.
  5. MDMD11

MDMD11

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hello,
    From what I understand is that a licensing exam needs to be done for NY, but you were able to use your GPR to get a full license in NY? how long did it take for the application to be processed from beginning to end?

thanks
  6. rewJW

rewJW surviving

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    No, NY state does not require a licensing exam. They do, however, require a minimum of 1 year residency (it can be any type of residency, so long as you complete at least one year.) This is a relatively new requirement.
  7. sleeplessinsf

sleeplessinsf

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    yes like previous poster mentioned, you do not have to take licensing exam to get NY license but a year of residency is required (however, if you are in a multi-year specialty residency, you need to finish the whole residency before you can get a license and not just the first year... double-check this rule w/ NY state dental board though). it took me about 1 month after submitting all documents to get my license because I did it at the end of June when everyone else was doing it too. if you do it during off-season, it could be as fast as 2 weeks as was the case w/ my husband.
  8. rewJW

rewJW surviving

Dentist
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Not true; the pediatric dental residents at my school were able to get their full NY state license after the first year of their residency. The state apparently just cares that you did 1 year as a PG resident somewhere. It's weird, I know, because what if you don't finish your program? But at least as of last year, that's the way it was.
  9. tooth knockn

tooth knockn

Pre-Dental
    does this also apply to new york residents?
  10. sleeplessinsf

sleeplessinsf

Dentist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think NY cares if you took boards or not. They just want at least 1 year of PG residency, unless you are doing through reciprocity (endorsement).

Maybe the rules have changed regarding specialty residency. We were told we had to finish the whole residency by program director. I am copying this directly from NYS dental board website:

"You may complete a residency program in either a clinical specialty or in general dentistry. The dental residency program requirements are:

Specialty Clinical Dental Residency Program The dental resident applicant must complete a clinical specialty residency program in one or more of the following specialty areas: endodontics, oral and maxillofacial pathology, oral and maxillofacial radiology, oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics or prosthodontics. If the specialty residency program is not in one of these specialty areas, 50% of the program completed by the resident must include clinical training in one or more of these specialty areas or general dentistry to meet New York State requirements."

I think interested parties should inquire with NYS dental board to be sure.
  11. tooth knockn

tooth knockn

Pre-Dental

Interesting, tanks a lot

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal