Endocytosis requires ATP????!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predentknight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to destroyer endocytosis requires ATP. I was not aware of this, and apparently neither is Wiki. So can someone explain and please elaborate on the differences between pinocytosis, phagocytosis and receptor-mediate. which ones require ATP and which do not.

Members don't see this ad.

pinocytosis = "cell drinking"
phagocytosis = "cell eating"
i think these are just types of endocytosis. endocytosis is the invagination of a plasma membrane to form vesicles. it is an examples of active transport which requires atp. im not exactly sure what receptor mediate is...i thought it was just another type of endocytosis. if it is, it requires atp since endocytosis does.

those are correct answers.

pinocytosis is cell drinking but it's not really drinking it just means that it's taking smaller matter in via endocytosis compared to phagocytosis.

receptor mediated endocytosis is also a type of phagocytosis. This is a specific type of endocytosis since you are binding a specific molecule to the receptor to bring something in. LDL is a good example since it is a lipoprotein that transports cholesterol and fat by this way.

When the body needs some cholesterol it makes LDL receptors on the plasma membrane and then LDL binds it to the receptor to do some cholesterol transport.

There's 3 types of phagocytosis which are the 3 that you have listed.

Hope that helped a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the polymerization and depolymerization of actin are involved in the movement of the secretory vesicles involved in endocytosis/exocytosis. This requires ATP.

I think the polymerization and depolymerization of actin are involved in the movement of the secretory vesicles involved in endocytosis/exocytosis. This requires ATP.

True statement. Of course everything in the cell will require ATP to make, however, as far as DIRECTLY needing ATP for endo/exocytosis, no. It's not like active t-port where ATP is directly involved.

It is all a matter of opinion.