Endovascular surgical neuroradiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zxy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a neurology resident and have recently become interested in the ESN field. I am looking to apply to fellowships this year. After researching the SDN forms and the internet, there appear to be too many fellowships that are willing to or have accepted candidates from Neurology in the past. Given the time constraints during residency, it is not possible for me to apply and interview at all the fellowships. I am looking for some help to narrow down my list on where I should apply.

Location is not an issue for me. I am willing to live any where for 3 years after the fellowship.

Questions:
1) Are ACGME approved fellowships better than not approved? Will there be ESN boards in the next few years?

2) Are Neurology run fellowships better than NSG or Neurorad run fellowships. As a Neurology resident which one will be the best for me? (Probably the training in all fellowships is good, but which one will be best suited for the Job market available for neurology trained candidates)

3) What else should one look at, when trying to evaluate a fellowship program.

Please offer any advise you can. Thank you. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm happy to see neurologists entering the field, but there are not "too many" fellowships that have accepted neurology candidates in the past. It is still an uphill struggle for neurologists in NIR. Go to the best possible fellowship with the biggest name people you can. It is a small field and the people you trained with will matter a great deal when you go to find a job later.

I don't know any neurologists who didn't do at least some fellowship training before entering NIR. And you will certainly need to do some shadowing and external rotations if you expect to get any traction with the big programs. Even really smart people with great credentials need to play ball if they want to get a decent NIR fellowship spot.

Finally, think hard about why you want to do NIR. It is a very interesting field, but it is very young and might look very different in a few years time. Do NOT do it for money.

I'm happy to see neurologists entering the field, but there are not "too many" fellowships that have accepted neurology candidates in the past. It is still an uphill struggle for neurologists in NIR. Go to the best possible fellowship with the biggest name people you can. It is a small field and the people you trained with will matter a great deal when you go to find a job later.

I don't know any neurologists who didn't do at least some fellowship training before entering NIR. And you will certainly need to do some shadowing and external rotations if you expect to get any traction with the big programs. Even really smart people with great credentials need to play ball if they want to get a decent NIR fellowship spot.

Finally, think hard about why you want to do NIR. It is a very interesting field, but it is very young and might look very different in a few years time. Do NOT do it for money.

Would you mind commenting on which are considered the top programs?

I'll also be applying this year for NIR, although i'm a radiology resident (i'll be applying for both neuro diagnostic and interventional). I'm trying to put a list together of the programs I'll apply to... so far thinking of Hopkins, MGH, UCLA, UCSD, Stanford, UCSF. Any info and/or advice regarding the application process will be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I believe the fellowship is divided between Emory and Grady. Emory fellowship is under radiology department and preferentially takes radiology residents. Grady fellowship is more stroke heavy and preferentially takes neurologists (this is Raul Nogueira's group).

Reactions: 1 user