Endurance for the exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblahpremeds

MD class of 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been taking full lengths in preparation for the MCAT. For every single one of the exams, my attention and focus are fine until I get to the last section (Psych/Soc, which also happens to be my weakest). But, by the time, I'm halfway through Psych/Soc, my brain just doesn't cooperate anymore. Any tips would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Caffeine doing the 30 minute break works for me. I have a shot of expresso before and a shot half way:heckyeah:

Reactions: 1 user
Caffeine doing the 30 minute break works for me. I have a shot of expresso before and a shot half way:heckyeah:

Yep that's what I did on my first full length. On my second I thought to myself maybe the caffeine effect will be greater the closer I get to the section so I took it right before my psych section and my score dipped haha. Not saying correlation = causation but I'm going back to caffeine during the 30 minute break.

Yep that's what I did on my first full length. On my second I thought to myself maybe the caffeine effect will be greater the closer I get to the section so I took it right before my psych section and my score dipped haha. Not saying correlation = causation but I'm going back to caffeine during the 30 minute break.
Remember that too much arousal for a hard task decreases performance hahahah

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't tried it myself but someone suggested to keep going after the psych section so you get used to it. What do you think?

You know what, I like the keep going idea too. I tend to get tired by the 8th CARS passage as well as midway through Psych/Soc section. So I'll probably just practice CARS with more than 10+ passages at once and do miscellaneous passages/reading right after completing an actual Psych section. BUT it feels so good to answer that 53rd or 59th question and be done with the section!

Never been a huge caffeine person myself, just doesn't do much for me. Any suggestions for food or drinks that refresh your brain?

I had a really specific thing going, because my body can't tolerate caffeine - it feels more like poison than stimulant. I drank a glass of double strength emergen-C in the morning with my multivitamins, had a decaf soda and banana for short breaks (for potassium and sugar/fizzy wakefulness respectively) and then during the long break, I had a meal rich in complex carbs, green vegetables, and sodium.

Remember, your brain needs sodium and potassium to run, and your muscles need calcium (from almonds mostly). Simple carbs will make you sleepy, so stick to complex carbs, and the dextrose halfway through as it is the fastest possible energy source. Hydration is important, so stay away from diuretics like coffee/tea, and whatever you do, DON'T TAKE 5 HOUR ENERGY. Repeat, DON'T TAKE 5 HOUR ENERGY. Ephedrine, the stuff in it, is a powerful sympathomimetic that will make it impossible to sit in your chair, raise your heart rate, and will make your blood feel like it's rushing - it's side effects are restlessness and confusion. You don't need a fight or flight response during your exam, you want to calm down. It's meant for physical, not mental exertion.

Oh yeah, and that turkey sandwich you were planning to have for lunch? Don't. Tryptophan is a powerful soporific and is commonly associated with turkey, though it's found in most meats. It is also metabolized from dairy.

TL;DR Use some of the B/B training to figure out what your body should have and make sure you have all of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the tips everyone. Will try these on my next FL tomorrow morning.

Let us know how it goes! It's not like I did a controlled experiment on this, it's just a mix of science, mother's advice, and hope. If it actually works on other people I'd be thrilled.

I had a really specific thing going, because my body can't tolerate caffeine - it feels more like poison than stimulant. I drank a glass of double strength emergen-C in the morning with my multivitamins, had a decaf soda and banana for short breaks (for potassium and sugar/fizzy wakefulness respectively) and then during the long break, I had a meal rich in complex carbs, green vegetables, and sodium, supplemented with almonds and coconut water fortified with a hearty scoop of pure dextrose and Vit D.

Remember, your brain needs sodium and potassium to run, and your muscles need calcium (from almonds mostly). Simple carbs will make you sleepy, so stick to complex carbs, and the dextrose halfway through as it is the fastest possible energy source. Hydration is important, so stay away from diuretics like coffee/tea, and whatever you do, DON'T TAKE 5 HOUR ENERGY. Repeat, DON'T TAKE 5 HOUR ENERGY. Ephedrine, the stuff in it, is a powerful sympathomimetic that will make it impossible to sit in your chair, raise your heart rate, and will make your blood feel like it's rushing - it's side effects are restlessness and confusion. You don't need a fight or flight response during your exam, you want to calm down. It's meant for physical, not mental exertion.

Oh yeah, and that turkey sandwich you were planning to have for lunch? Don't. Tryptophan is a powerful soporific and is commonly associated with turkey, though it's found in most meats. It is also metabolized from dairy.

TL;DR Use some of the B/B training to figure out what your body should have and make sure you have all of it.
Huh? There is no Ephedrine in 5-Hour Energy. It has been banned as a energy/health/diet supplement for a while now....

Huh? There is no Ephedrine in 5-Hour Energy. It has been banned as a energy/health/diet supplement for a while now....

I picked up one a few years ago in store, and I could have sworn it did, but I was probably looking at the similarly packaged "rhino rush" which does have some. Lots of those instant energy drinks will have a synthetic Ephedrine agonist, which is just as bad though.

I picked up one a few years ago in store, and I could have sworn it did, but I was probably looking at the similarly packaged "rhino rush" which does have some. Lots of those instant energy drinks will have a synthetic Ephedrine agonist, which is just as bad though.

I doubt that too. They can't have anything resembling ephedrine in them anymore because of deaths due to overdosing on it. Anyways.....solid advice on your post!

I doubt that too. They can't have anything resembling ephedrine in them anymore because of deaths due to overdosing on it. Anyways.....solid advice on your post!

http://www.ephedrawarehouse.com/assets/images/ephedra-energy-shot-rhino-rush-kiwi.jpg

The website seems to say otherwise, but it's not really that important. Energy drinks are pretty terrible for people that can't hold their caffeine - I was actually almost poisoned the first time I had more than one light cup!

I had a really specific thing going, because my body can't tolerate caffeine - it feels more like poison than stimulant. I drank a glass of double strength emergen-C in the morning with my multivitamins, had a decaf soda and banana for short breaks (for potassium and sugar/fizzy wakefulness respectively) and then during the long break, I had a meal rich in complex carbs, green vegetables, and sodium, supplemented with almonds and coconut water fortified with a hearty scoop of pure dextrose and Vit D.

I agree. My performance increased when I removed all junk from my diet. Most of our energy goes into digesting food (and heavy foods make us tired). I stopped eating anything that is not whole plant-based foods. For my exam, I'm eating sweet potatoes with celery. Sweet potatoes digest slower for me and keep me full longer. Most other days, I eat raw plant foods - no animal products. That stuff gave me healthy problems. It also made me tired often and now I have a ton of energy eating raw food.