Energy Drink, Caffeine While studying MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

david05

PharmD/MBA
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one,

Do you drink coffee or energy drink when you're studying for the MCAT? From my experience, I study or gain much more material in short time when drinking a cup of coffee or energy drink.

On test day, have you ever drunk a cup of coffee or a bottle of energy drink? What did you feel?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are use to it then I would drink it if it helps, however make sure you know your bathroom breaks.

I had a 5 hr energy after the verbal section and am glad I did. Not too much liquid to make the bathroom an issue and lasts long enough that you dont risk crashing. I took it after verbal because I didn't want to be too jittery for verbal but wanted to stay focused and on task for the writing samples and bs.

I took a caffeine pill before my exam since it was a morning one and I hate mornings. If you're used to it as GRod says, then go for it. Bathrooms shouldn't be an issue since you get one about every hour.

Members don't see this ad :)
I drank half of a 5hr energy before and the other half after verbal. It kept me focused and attentive.

you'll be amazed at the amount of hormone level in your blood during the test day.
i normally drink 3-4 cups of coffee each day, i took 5 hour energy drink on the test day and i suffered for it.
i ususally scored 13-12 on ps and scored 9 on the actual test.
i would not recommend it.

Did you feel like you couldn't concentrate because of the energy drink? I guess everyone is different but I'm very happy I used caffeine.

After VR and after the writing section I had a granola bar + 12 oz. sugar-free Red Bull.

Make sure you practice eating/drinking during your FLs. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you need to get used to how it makes you feel, especially when it comes to the urge to poop.

Go with your normal routine in terms of caffeine. That is, if you drink a cup of joe everyday, then do so on test day, at the time you usually do so. However, I think it's a bad idea to pump up on caffeine and "energy" drinks, especially being that they are mostly diuretics. Bring foods high in carbs (Clif Bar is my choice) and some water (although I went with vitamin water).

If you find yourself needing a pick-me-up during your test then something is wrong. I don't know about you all, but I was pumped up from adrenaline and didn't tire out until about 3 hours after the test. The extra caffeine may push you over that edge where you a just nervous enough to help you do well to complete schizting out!

Keep it natural. Bringing stimulants into the game is taking a risk (for a majority of people). Eat healthy, drink healthy, think healthy. (You're going to be doctors for heaven's sake!!!)

Hello every one,

Do you drink coffee or energy drink when you're studying for the MCAT? From my experience, I study or gain much more material in short time when drinking a cup of coffee or energy drink.

On test day, have you ever drunk a cup of coffee or a bottle of energy drink? What did you feel?
never needed em, don't use em. Would not recommend them for the actual day of exam but for studying, if you need that performance enhancer, go for it.