ENERGY- endothermic/exothermic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I am not sure about this but need help!

an equations with a negetive value.. change in G, H or E.. vs a positive one...

Which one means exothermic and which is endothermic? I am assuming the one with + is exo and the - is endo.. but i need verification... thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yorkiepoo said:
I can't believe I am not sure about this but need help!

an equations with a negetive value.. change in G, H or E.. vs a positive one...

Which one means exothermic and which is endothermic? I am assuming the one with + is exo and the - is endo.. but i need verification... thanks

- is exo and + is endo

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a problem i had:

Half Reaction E°
Mg → Mg2+ + 2e– 2.37 V
Mn → Mn2+ + 2e– 1.03 V
H2 → 2H+ + 2e– 0.00 V
Cu → Cu2+ + 2e– –0.16 V

Which of the following reactions is spontaneous?
A. Mn2+ + H2 →
B. Mg + Mn2+ →
C. Mg2+ + Mn →
D. Cu + 2H+ →
E. Mg2+ + Cu →

and the answer is B because:

B
Before checking each choice against the table of oxidation potentials given, it would be
scan the choices and notice that choices B and C are two sides of the same redox reaction:
Mg + Mn2+ → Mg2+ + Mn
Applying a fundamental concept now, that if the forward reaction is not spontaneous,
and vice versa), we can eliminate the other three choices; we need then only determine which
spontaneous as written. According to the tabulated values, the oxidation of magnesium, Mg,
than does manganese, Mn, at 1.03V; larger, more positive values of E0 correspond to more
magnesium is the more likely candidate for oxidation, and choice B is therefore correct.

according to this.. the answer B works because it comes out to be + number... to be spontaneous.. doenst it have to be exo?

yorkiepoo said:
this is a problem i had:

Half Reaction E°
Mg → Mg2+ + 2e– 2.37 V
Mn → Mn2+ + 2e– 1.03 V
H2 → 2H+ + 2e– 0.00 V
Cu → Cu2+ + 2e– –0.16 V

Which of the following reactions is spontaneous?
A. Mn2+ + H2 →
B. Mg + Mn2+ →
C. Mg2+ + Mn →
D. Cu + 2H+ →
E. Mg2+ + Cu →

and the answer is B because:

B
Before checking each choice against the table of oxidation potentials given, it would be
scan the choices and notice that choices B and C are two sides of the same redox reaction:
Mg + Mn2+ → Mg2+ + Mn
Applying a fundamental concept now, that if the forward reaction is not spontaneous,
and vice versa), we can eliminate the other three choices; we need then only determine which
spontaneous as written. According to the tabulated values, the oxidation of magnesium, Mg,
than does manganese, Mn, at 1.03V; larger, more positive values of E0 correspond to more
magnesium is the more likely candidate for oxidation, and choice B is therefore correct.

according to this.. the answer B works because it comes out to be + number... to be spontaneous.. doenst it have to be exo?

So spontaneous refers to a positive value for E (reduction potential) or a negative value for G (gibbs free energy). I believe G and E are related by this equation: G = -nFE.

Anyway, a reaction doesn't have to be exothermic to be spontaneous. Exo/endothermic refers to H (enthalpy), and H and G are related by:
G = H -TS. So a reaction can be spontaneous if it has a high positive entropy change.