Engineer to Dental School

mferguson1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a sophomore studying chemical engineering, and after a year and a half long internship, I've decided that it's not really what I want to do for various reasons. I've decided to pursure dentistry for various reasons, and I'm feeling discouraged about my prospects of even being accepted to school anywhere and am looking for some insight.
I should be able to apply with at least a 3.3-3.4 GPA (overall and science, since like 85% of my courses are science). Not sure about my DAT score yet because I just decided on pursuing this option less than 6 months ago, so I haven't taken it yet. I have 1.5 years work experience at a paper mill and should have more work experience and upwards of 80-100 hours of shadowing before I apply.
My main concern is GPA. I've heard that some schools like engineers and give a bit of leeway to GPA because engineering is typically more difficult than biology. True or total crap? If it is total crap, would I have a chance with that GPA and a 20 or so on the DAT, or would I need a much higher DAT score to even have a chance?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you would, there lots of people with similar status like you or worse which have gotten in. Just do well on the DAT and do a lot of shadowing and stuff like that