Engineering background - Am I eligible/competitive for top post bac programs like Bryn Mawr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yyll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All -

I am a 28 yo electrical engineer seriously considering making a career change to medicine. I graduated with a BS in electrical engineering with a 3.76 GPA from a top 10 university (science/engineering GPA should be higher), and got my MS in EE from a top 3 university with a 3.4 GPA. It's a bit unusual for grad school GPA to be lower than that of undergrad, but I guess part of the reason was that I lost focus because I kinda felt a career in engineering research wasn't really a good fit for me. My other stats are 570V/800Q on SAT I, 620V/800Q on the GRE. These were taken quite a while ago. Also, I haven't had any medically related experience but I am planning to volunteer at local hospitals and perhaps get an EMT certificate if possible.

After doing some research into how to go about the switch, it appears that going through a post-bac program is one of the best ways to get all the prereqs for med school. I will probably apply to Bryn Mawr and Goucher among others as they seem to have the best reputation and track record. My concern is, I already have one year of Physics (AP + college course) and part of the Gen Chem series completed as an undergrad, would that make me ineligible for either program? According to their websites, they are looking for people with almost no science coursework. Do I still have a shot at these places? Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi yyll,

I've recently been accepted to Bryn Mawr's postbac program for the 2014-2015 year. Having taken some of the prereqs won't hurt you as Bryn Mawr at least allows you to skip the summer Gen Chem courses, and during the academic year you can replace a course you've taken with one of their electives. You also could still audit the physics/chem courses to make sure you're up-to-date if it's been a while. Your undergrad GPA is great, especially considering your major and university, and your grad GPA is still above the 3.3 suggested cutoff. Additionally, in the application they give you a chance to explain yourself so as long as you explain it in a way that benefits you it shouldn't be a problem.

I also became an EMT before I applied and it's a great way to make patient contacts and get medical experience.

Thanks so much for the reply, and congrats on your BM admission :) Do you know how the consortial option works at BM? Is it open to everyone who chooses to go this route, or is there some sort of assessment done to nominate a group of students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi yyll,

I've recently been accepted to Bryn Mawr's postbac program for the 2014-2015 year. Having taken some of the prereqs won't hurt you as Bryn Mawr at least allows you to skip the summer Gen Chem courses, and during the academic year you can replace a course you've taken with one of their electives. You also could still audit the physics/chem courses to make sure you're up-to-date if it's been a while. Your undergrad GPA is great, especially considering your major and university, and your grad GPA is still above the 3.3 suggested cutoff. Additionally, in the application they give you a chance to explain yourself so as long as you explain it in a way that benefits you it shouldn't be a problem.

I also became an EMT before I applied and it's a great way to make patient contacts and get medical experience.

Hi slm14!

I am looking to apply to post-bacs for next fall and Bryn Mawr is at the top of my list! I have already been accepted as a volunteer at CHOP and start later this month. I also plan on doing CNA or EMT training before fall of next year...hopefully by this December if everything goes according to plan. I am doing a complete career swap coming from an Art degree with Photography and Graphic Design. I was looking to see their application deadline and they have an early submission deadline of early October. I wanted to ask if this early application submission would be to my benefit if I have only done my volunteering for a few weeks and the EMT or CNA training won't be on my application yet? Or should I wait and apply a bit later until I have the volunteering done for a little bit longer and the training as well? In your opinion what would look better?

As far as I know anyone can apply to whichever consort school they want to. Of course, the advising staff will go through your options and your unique situation with you to steer you in the right direction. During my interview I was told that about 1/3 of the postbacs use the consortial option, and during the fall semester you're given the opportunity to visit many of the consorts.

Hi slm14!

I am looking to apply to post-bacs for next fall and Bryn Mawr is at the top of my list! I have already been accepted as a volunteer at CHOP and start later this month. I also plan on doing CNA or EMT training before fall of next year...hopefully by this December if everything goes according to plan. I am doing a complete career swap coming from an Art degree with Photography and Graphic Design. I was looking to see their application deadline and they have an early submission deadline of early October. I wanted to ask if this early application submission would be to my benefit if I have only done my volunteering for a few weeks and the EMT or CNA training won't be on my application yet? Or should I wait and apply a bit later until I have the volunteering done for a little bit longer and the training as well? In your opinion what would look better?

Thank you that is a huge help! I am going to go ahead and ask them directly as well. Another question I have that may be silly but I don't want to look silly in my application, when they ask for prior coursework in the science department are they looking for general sciences such as physics, bio, and chem? I didn't take any of those in my undergrad but I did take natural sciences that required labs such as physical geography, and geology, but I wasn't sure if I should put those down as I didn't think that was what they were referring to...I could be completely wrong though! Thanks again!!

Hi slm14!

Hi! Did you submit your application to Bryn Mawr already? If so, have you heard back from them? I also applied for Fall 2015 entry.

Unfortunately I haven't submitted my application yet. I wasn't able to make the early action submission because I was waiting for an LOR to come through from an undergrad professor. I wish you the best of luck! Did you submit in time for early action?

Unfortunately I haven't submitted my application yet. I wasn't able to make the early action submission because I was waiting for an LOR to come through from an undergrad professor. I wish you the best of luck! Did you submit in time for early action?

Thank you! Best wishes on completing your application. Hope you submit soon. I did submit mine for the new early action deadline. Interviewed last week. Just anxiously waiting for final decision.