Engineering Student thinking about Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soulwar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in my second year of engineering and have started thinking about a career in Medicine. Thing is I don't think I will get in for medicine at this point in time. Was thinking about finishing my Electronic Engineering and after that at the age of 25 start to study Medicine. What do you all think?

I would like to do this because I would like to develop medical machines one day. But Clinical engineering just seems like it won't teach me as much as I would like to know about Electronics or the human body. is this a good idea or am on the wrong track?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My initial suggestion to you is that you should be at a school that has both strong engineering and strong biomed/bioeng departments, AND a med school, such as Duke or U. of Washington. That way you can take coursework in medical machinery as part of your EE degree.

I also suggest that you volunteer in a hospital to get a taste for clinical work. You really can't avoid this in medicine, and the experience will tell you if medicine is something you want to spend a lot of time on.

Lastly try to get an internship with a bioengineering firm. Like whoever makes cochlear implants. They have wires. :)

Coincidentally, I just met a 45 year old today who is finishing his medicine residency, after 15 years of engineering medical devices. There's no hurry. He and I agreed that the engineering mindset (leave no error case unhandled) is completely opposite of the health sciences mindset (amass heaps of disconnected facts for regurgitation). But the engineering sense of understanding systems is well suited in medicine.

Best of luck to you.

It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to design peripheral medical equipment, I don't think that you will want to go to med school. Changing to a bioengineering program would probably be the best idea.

If you want to design implantable devices the bioeng still might be the best path (perhaps a masters or PhD rather than a bach to get the more in depth training that you seem to want). One can learn alot about the body through other avenues rather than med school.

If you want to be an engineer who went to med school, you may be disappointed in the end and feel like you wasted time learning things that aren't applicable to the practice of medical engineering.

If you want to be a doctor who went to engineering school and while in practice comes up with devices to further medicine, go to med school. This is what I am doing. I am leaving engineering after 6 years to become a doctor who also happens to think like an engineer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback. I am at quite a good Uni. I am from South Africa and currently studying at the Uni of Pretoria. They have good engineering, bioengineering and medical department.

And yes I would like to be a docter that studied engineering. But might like to do some bioengineering aswell still making up my mind but I am leaning to one side at this point in time. Will see what the future holds.

Does anyone have any other feedback?

I am currently in my second year of engineering and have started thinking about a career in Medicine. Thing is I don't think I will get in for medicine at this point in time. Was thinking about finishing my Electronic Engineering and after that at the age of 25 start to study Medicine. What do you all think?

I would like to do this because I would like to develop medical machines one day. But Clinical engineering just seems like it won't teach me as much as I would like to know about Electronics or the human body. is this a good idea or am on the wrong track?

Thanks

I certainly agree with the ppl that have posted above. I am an engineer and will be starting med school in aug '07 and let me a add a slightly different perspective those already mentioned. First let me preface this by saying on the surface the two fields Biology (medicine) and Engineering may seem a world apart - BUT THERE NOT! The more training as an engineer the better off you will be either in clinical medicine or research & development, if ya go the biomedical engineering route. Most undergrad bio classes are all about rote memorization and so hear hear of alot of medicial school. That is critical no question. However, for example, when it came to genetics and the upper level grad classes, alot of engineering practices wether they be problem solving skills, communications systems design, Control systems design ...ect all of these skills came in handy in understand what exactly is going on. So many of the regular bio majors really didnt even know how to separate out the material that is given in the problem to set up the problem vs. what is actually being asked for in some of the genetics problems. Consequently, those students didnt do so well in that class. These are the types of problems you'd encounter on the MCAT, not sure the equivalent test in South Africa, but that is a huge advantage right there. So dont think of the time finishing the engineering degree as wasted time. Its all good and will really ease the time it take to comprehend alot of the material, IMHO.

As another suggestion you might try a double major Biology-Electrical engineering or as other suggested biomedical engineer/bioengineering vs the electrical engineering. This is for your undergrad BS degree I am talkin about. I realize that will take extra time, but in the US your gonna end up having to take a year of Biology, biochem (maybe) ,Organics, and General Chemistry that may not be part of your normal engineering requirements as pre-req's for med school. The reason I suggest it, is its easier for you to get a double degree while your IN the program then to go back and get it later. Just see how much more it would require once ya get the pre-reqs for your med school's required classes and see if ya wanna take the time/money hit for the dual degree.

Then, If your really interested the MD path, and less clinical aspect more R&D focused, then you might look into the MD-PhD programs and major in Biomed engineering/Bioengineering. Alot of US campuses offer the combined degree program with options in the engineering fields. Many are even opening up to non-traditional domains such as Electrical Engineering.

There are many options available to ya. Good Luck!

I have exactly the same plan as you. Only thing is, I am already graduated with EE + pre-med and currently is working in the industry to design cutting-edge computer chips. I am currently prepare for my MCAT in January and will apply in 2008.

I have to say, EE + pre-med really opens up your opportunity. It is definitely the right track if you can handle EE. Hmm, bio is easy, so you should do fine in it.

To those who repplied on this thread, I was a biomedical engineer, I have a degree in chemical engineering, and I made the leap to becoming a medical student here in the US. Please feel free to PM me with any questions you may have.

One thing - There are many different medical school systems out there. The German system (I believe) has students in much longer and from an earlier age than here in the US. Here they take you after a 4-year degree. My point is that, while it is great that everyone is helping out, folks from outside the US may not benefit from advice from US students, and vice-versa.

If you want to go outside US -> US, then check out the international forums here on SDN.

thank for all the feedback. I am not really looking for advice as on what to do and where. but if my idea would be a watse of time or not. the research I will do by myself.

Thanks You All really got me thinking.

Got the gears in motion now :)

I am currently in my second year of engineering and have started thinking about a career in Medicine.

Thanks

Dear boy, save yourself and put these thoughts of medicine out of your mind! Read the pros and cons of the medical career on these forums.
If you want to be an MD because it sounds sexy, you watch way too much TV! There are much easier ways for a bright person to find fame and fortune.

Sorry forgot to add this :

If anyone has some more info or a story to tell I would really appreciate that. It's good to know I am not alone in my quest!!!

You are very quick to judge. I co-run a Non Profit Organization that is already running at 2 hospitals where we help underprivileged children and a lot my own money has gone into it. We give the children toys, colouring books, things to stimulate their minds ect. So I love helping people and thats why I would like to do this not for any other reason.I get nothing out of this except the smiles of these children and that means more to me than anything else. If I die one day and the world forgets me I won't care. But at least the people I helped will live on.

So I think you got the wrong impression of me

I get nothing out of this except the smiles of these children and that means more to me than anything else. If I die one day and the world forgets me I won't care. But at least the people I helped will live on.

So I think you got the wrong impression of me

You must be one of those *****ic idealistic young people. Save it for the admissions committee. Noone wants to get smiles out of children that much, if we did we'd all spend our time passing out lollipops in orphanages for kids dying of cancer.

You can see you were born with a silver spoon up your A$$. Have you ever looked a child DYING OF AIDS!!!!! in the eyes and seen that childs pain?!! Then when you give this child who has had nothing his whole life long a little something (you would probably not even eat because of your UPPER CLASS!!!! standards) and then to see this child smile(because of some sweets and a toys worth $2-3). It is worth more than anything else I can think of. But I don't think someone as self absorbed and bitter as yourself would understand. It aint my fault you are unhappy with your Job. Get your own life straight I know life aint easy DEAL WITH IT!!!!!

It aint my fault you are unhappy with your Job. Get your own life straight I know life aint easy DEAL WITH IT!!!!!

Check my profile, I don't even have a bitter job yet.

BTW, my family of 4 used to live on less than $500/month.

Take that biatch

$500 for a family of 4 try $100 for a family of 8 my friend. Don't be so judgemental. It doesn't seem to me like you want to go into the medical field for the love of it you want to do it for money. thats your choice but it aint mine.