English-language pubs in domestic journals from non-English speaking countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question:
A colleague and I published two articles in peer-reviewed Korean journals that publish a mix of Korean- and English-language articles. My colleague was a Korean international student in the US when we worked together and is now faculty at a university there, so they are very appropriate on her CV. Is there any con to having them on mine, as I've heard that publications in domestic journals in non-English-speaking countries may raise eyebrows at US universities? They're not my only peer-reviewed publications (or my only pubs with this co-author for that matter), which may either make them not raise eyebrows in context or look like padding, depending on what I read. (I have a slight bias towards putting them on just because she was/is a great collaborator but would reconsider if they carried too much of a "huh" factor, so to speak)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as it isn't a pay-to-publish journal you'll be fine. There's that is of "predatory publishers" you could check to make sure the publisher isn't on it (that's assuming the publisher is lesser- or unknown).

As long as it isn't a pay-to-publish journal you'll be fine. There's that is of "predatory publishers" you could check to make sure the publisher isn't on it (that's assuming the publisher is lesser- or unknown).
They aren't predatory. They're associated with the Korean equivalent of APA, but again, much less well-read than English-language journals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I of course don't work in academia, but personally, I'd wonder why anyone would take issue with this unless that's the only type of journal in which you were publishing. Especially given the setup with the co-author. I mean, ultimately, you're just "sharing knowledge with the world," so to speak. You'd think that'd be a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Possibly these pubs will get met with a shrug, but I don't think they would look bad. As long as they are legitimate journals and most of your other work is published in better known journals, I wouldn't be concerned.

Are the articles in English or Korean? If the latter, I might leave them off just because they'd have no way to evaluate it if they had any questions. Otherwise I see leave them on. I don't know that it looks bad, particularly if your co-author is from that region. If their name makes that relatively clear, that might work in your favor too. If it was a majority of your publications, that would be one thing but that isn't the case. Could even be a positive that you are establishing international connections. Most likely, it won't be weighted as heavily as a publication in a solid US journal would but in the broader context I'd be surprised if it hurt you. Probably wouldn't want a job at the places that it would hurt you anyways.

Possibly these pubs will get met with a shrug, but I don't think they would look bad. As long as they are legitimate journals and most of your other work is published in better known journals, I wouldn't be concerned.

Yeah, these two articles represent <10% of my accepted/published/in press peer-reviewed articles, so they are much more the exception than the rule, so to speak,

Are the articles in English or Korean? If the latter, I might leave them off just because they'd have no way to evaluate it if they had any questions. Otherwise I see leave them on. I don't know that it looks bad, particularly if your co-author is from that region. If their name makes that relatively clear, that might work in your favor too. If it was a majority of your publications, that would be one thing but that isn't the case. Could even be a positive that you are establishing international connections. Most likely, it won't be weighted as heavily as a publication in a solid US journal would but in the broader context I'd be surprised if it hurt you. Probably wouldn't want a job at the places that it would hurt you anyways.

They're in English--to be honest, I wouldn't feel comfortable being a co-author on a pub in language that I wasn't fluent in (so, anything other than English ;) ), just because I wouldn't really feel like I knew what was actually in it. My co-author's last name is distinctly of that region, too.

Thanks for the input, guys! :)