English Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an English major. Is this a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Non-science majors have no disadvantage when applying to med school.
In fact, you can turn it into an advantage by emphasizing the positive
aspects of that when you interview. You can see which classes you
must take in the premed-->college-->classes section of http://www.medicalstudent.net
Jim Henderson, MD

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net

Members don't see this ad :)
My uncle was an English major. He's 40 now and has a mansion and a Maserati. He's an anesthesiologist.

You'll be fine bud

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Not at all. I'm a Spanish major and it's actually been an advantage. I've talked about my major extensively in every single one of my interviews and the interviewers almost always seem very interested.

Eff I've been fooled by a necrobump.

I don't think so.
56219748.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did OP respond to himself?

"Wow my chances must be so bad that no one even replied, time to become a chiropractor"

Lol wait this is like the weirdest thread. I think OP posed the question just so he could tell everyone that no, being a humanities major is not a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably the best way to go, it shows med schools that you have analytical skills, no one wants a person that just does biology because all they know is biology and there is so much more than just science in medicine. There is ethical, analytical and critical thinking skills that goes into medicine. I think this is the best thing you've done. Remember to take all your pre-reqs. This goes for most careers, they don't want to know that all you know is that field, you have to put something else to the table.

I'm the only one that gave real advice, I feel so dumb now.

@Goro - stephen curry is necroing very, very old threads... this one is 16 years old.