English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

California Bear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many units of English are generally required by med schools?

My school is on the semester system, and so far I've taken two classes - 3 and 4 units each for a total of 7. Is this enough, or should I consider taking another class?

Members don't see this ad.

I took two semesters worth of English and a technical writing course (required for my major). It depends on what your target schools are. Look at your target medical schools' websites and see if you've taken enough English. If you're still unsure, shoot them an email or call the admissions office for further clarification.

It really varies on the school but many seem to be somewhat flexible with the requirement and that you may be able to use two writing intense courses to satisfy the requirement. It seems that it was two semesters at many schools (which would seem to be 3-4 classes on the quarter scale) . The MSAR is a good source for prereq requirements.

Thanks guys!

I just searched up a few schools. Schools like UCR require 12 quarter units of English, which is equivalent to 8 semester units at my university. I guess I'll have to take another class.