English Requirement???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated from college this year, and I am now engaged in a DIY post bacc to boost my GPA before applying in 2016.

I am a Massachusetts resident, and I want to apply to UMass. In fact. It is my top choice. The thing is they require one year of English.

I got a 780 on my SAT Writing section and was thus exempt from Part I of the English requirement at my school. For Part II of this college writing requirement, I opted to take Intro to Philosophy instead of an English class.

This satisfied the one year of English requirement for school...but I fear that UMass will not accept this for their English requirement...

As someone who got 780 in SAT writing, 760 on SAT reading, 5 on AP Lit, and a current average of 12+ on AAMC FL Verbal reasoning subsections...I would HATE to devote my precious DIY postbacc slots to 2 semesters of English when I could be boosting my sGPA with BCPM courses.

Someone please tell me they will be lenient about this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just speaking from my experience doing secondaries, but there are schools that will take Poli Sci, Philosophy, etc. courses as "English" - but there were others were it seemed they were interested in a pure literature/language/composition class. I would research the schools you are interested in applying to and confirm that you will be alright with what you have. Additionally, I would say that many schools allow you to finish your prereqs following admission but prior to starting - so you could save those last semester of English for Spring 2016, depending on if the school you get into wants you to take more English.