English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2020

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a little confused about the year english requirement for many of the medical schools. I had no "english" subject at my university so I am not sure what sorts of courses will fulfill this requirement. Any names or courses or types of courses that people have taken that could help me would be great. I took two intro writing courses, does that cover anything?
Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

At my school I don't have to take a writing class, as they said I placed out of the intro to writing non credit class they offer. They do however make us take 3 writing intensive classes, 2 that are under biology and one that's about harry potter. Will medical schools accept this?

Members don't see this ad :)
i would take a year of english/composition/literature classes just to be safe for all medical schools. 3 quarters worth or 2 semesters. I don't think social science/or any science course that are writing intensive counts as an English course

ok a harry potter course. that is just amazing. well I have two writing classes done, both intro academic writing courses. They probably wont count will they? Can these be taken at a city college?

From what I understand, med schools want a semester of an english course which is literature intensive (whatever that means) and a semester which is writing intensive.

Just find a course that studies literature in the English department and find another one which is writing intensive, but still concentrates on a humanities discipline.

This link is intended for applicants at my former undergrad, but it explains the requirement pretty well:
http://web.jhu.edu/prepro/health/eng_req.html

At my school I don't have to take a writing class, as they said I placed out of the intro to writing non credit class they offer. They do however make us take 3 writing intensive classes, 2 that are under biology and one that's about harry potter. Will medical schools accept this?

I am an english lit major and I never got to take a class on Harry Potter. I am sooo jealous.

My school is similiar in that all students have to take a 1.5 year writing intensive courses... but none have to take the intro to writing class or any english department class.

One of my courses include Critical Science Fiction. No books, lots of papers on tv shows and movies (and writing my own science fiction story).

As my school considers them "writing-intensive" and our version of a English class, I labeled them as ENGL on my AMCAS and got no problem from AMCAS.

Same here. I only had to take one semester of an intro writing class that everyone had to take but for the English Requirement, we need to complete to complete 6 credits of writing intensive courses. If the courses satisfy the requirements at your school, will they satisfy medical school requirements for English? And also, I plan on taking two biology writing intensive courses to satisfy the requirements for English at my school. Even if it is science, is this alright for medical school? Sorry to take over your thread but I think this question may also help get some answers to your own thread.

Some schools will accept writing intensive courses or even the English requirements of your degree as the English prerequisites, some require actual ENG classes or similar classes in writing or literature, and some don't require English at all. With a little research I'm sure you can figure out which schools fit in which categories.

I never took an "English" or "Writing" class, and I had no problems.

I took courses in Scandinavian & Slavic literature in translation, and I never ran into any problems. I think on some apps it asked me to explain the writing elements of the course if it wasn't explicitly called English/writing.

I took a Viking saga class. We read myths and sagas in poem format, learned about their culture, watched videos about their history, and had to write papers analyzing their beliefs. I counted it as an English course.

would Neuroscience lab methods count as a writing course? It is the writing intensive course of my major and required. I already took the only rhetoric course at my school.

would Neuroscience lab methods count as a writing course? It is the writing intensive course of my major and required. I already took the only rhetoric course at my school.

Probably not, or you might need something from your committee stating that it is a writing class. We had freshman writing seminars that were listed in various departments, so the committee attached a letter stating that it counted. I would ask your premed advisor office (or whatever you have) which classes at your institution would qualify.