English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mbm54

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I understand that most DO schools require one year of English (3 credits composition and 3 credits literature). I completed an English lit course with a grade during freshman year. However, for the English composition course, my school offered a program the summer before freshman year began, where i took Intro to Writing, but it was only offered pass/fail. It counted towards my graduation requirement and it is on my transcript as a legit course. Because it's pass/fail does that fulfill the requirement of completing 6 credits of English? I know that having a pass/fail course in a science pre-req course is unacceptable, but what about English?

Members don't see this ad.

Just call either some schools you're interested in or the application service you're using and ask bc you'd hate to assume it counts by somebody's word on SDN and then not be eligible after all the work and money you put in.

All of the schools handle the English requirement differently, drastically so in some cases, so definitely call the schools you're applying to and ask. For instance, LECOM actually counted a public speaking course I took as English credits (along with my freshman composition course, neither of which were designated as English.) Some schools are much more strict though and want classes that are specifically designated as English credits by the school, which meant neither my public speaking or freshman composition classes counted for them (but luckily I did a year of graduate work on an English master's degree and was fine.)

Yea, i called PCOM-Philly and they said the pass/fail course wouldn't count, yet GA-PCOM said it probably would count, so I guess the policy for the English requirement really does differ by school!