English requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmf2682

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw in the MSAR book that something like 70% of schools require a year of college English. I'm an engineer and didn't have to take English courses, however I've demonstrated a proficiency in writing elsewhere (like in my job, masters thesis, etc). Is this requirement really a requirement or have people gotten around it? Seems silly to have to take English comp as part of my postbac courses.

Members don't see this ad.

This varies school by school. I was worried about the same thing in the beginning. My English requirements were satisfied by some Writing 20 class that was mandatory at my school and an AP Lit test. Oddly, they didn't take my AP Lang grade even though it was higher than lit. Each school is a little different.

It's been awhile but you might want to look into clep testing, if you have proficiency in writing you should have no problem passing a test and getting the credit hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw in the MSAR book that something like 70% of schools require a year of college English. I'm an engineer and didn't have to take English courses, however I've demonstrated a proficiency in writing elsewhere (like in my job, masters thesis, etc). Is this requirement really a requirement or have people gotten around it? Seems silly to have to take English comp as part of my postbac courses.

You'll have to call all the schools you want to apply to and find out what they want. Did you take any writing classes during college? I'm an engineer as well and took a quarter of english comp and two quarters of technical writing for my degree. Most of the schools I've talked to that say they require a year of english were fine accepting my technical writing classes to satisfy the requirement. Most just want to see classes where you were primarily graded on your writing.

There have, however, been a few schools that won't budge on the year of english requirement. If the class wasn't from the english department, then you're out of luck. I've had a few other schools tell me that they make decisions on english requirements on a case by case basis, and one specifically (U Colorado) told me that they would accept classes outside of the english department (like technical writing) only if you score >= 10 on VS and >= P on writing.

It might be a pain, but if you have no writing classes to your name you might want to consider that year of english in your postbac.

U Colorado harps repeatedly on their english composition requirement on their website and in their application materials. They acknowledge that many of their applicants have to rush to take one last english writing class that summer between graduation and matriculation. They sound pretty serious.

On the other hand, the University of Washington goes out of their way to point out that an english composition class cannot be applied towards any of their prerequisites.

I was an engineer too, and I am taking a year of english as a part of my post-bacc. I think that is what the glide year is for, filling out applications, going to interviews, and taking silly classes like english comp now that the science classes and the mcat are out of the way.

As dmf2682 i fall same problem.But as a pharmacist I have not manage enough time to complete any English course.What should I do now?

Seeing as how I went to engineering school I placed out of the freshman writing class with my sat scores. I suppose I may as well take a couple extra courses here and there. It may actually make me a better doctor someday, who knows! Thanks for the replies everyone

you've got your answer but i will +1 it. i'm in engineering, placed out of my english requirement for composition and took lit outside the english dept. i took 2 babyenglish classes this past term :(

the reason is that i didn't have a DEFINITE school list ridiculously early, and you would need to ask each one. some even say (emory maybe??) that if you want a sub, you just ask for one when you apply - they won't tell you ahead of time 100% that this or that will or will not suffice. so i just went ahead and did it because it is not worth it to lose even 3 schools of 20 or so for that reason.

Ok. Sorry to resurrect this but I was trying to sign up for English classes and ran into a problem. They wouldn't let me.

Email from the composition director quoted below. Any advice on what to do next?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 3:16 PM
To: dmf2682
Cc: MMM, Laura (micciclr); NNN, Jeannette (mautnejl)
Subject: RE: English 101 Requirements

Dear dmf2682,
I conferred with our Senior Assistant Dean of Student Relations and
Advising for her perspective on your taking an undergraduate composition
course. In short, since you already have an undergraduate degree and an
MS, there is no mechanism by which to have you enroll in our courses.

The med school will base their admission criteria on your transcripts as
they pertain to med school preparation, such as appropriate science
courses, not as to whether you have an undergraduate writing course. In
addition, the fact that you have attained two degrees has already
certified your writing proficiency. Your degrees will carry more weight
than a single writing course.

Our advice is that you apply to medical school and not worry about
taking a composition course. I wish you well with your new career
aspirations.

Best,
XXX

XXX, PhD
Associate Professor
Associate Director, English Composition Program
XXX College of A&S
University of XXX
999.556.0462/3906

Ok. Sorry to resurrect this but I was trying to sign up for English classes and ran into a problem. They wouldn't let me.

Email from the composition director quoted below. Any advice on what to do next?

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2011 3:16 PM
To: dmf2682
Cc: MMM, Laura (micciclr); NNN, Jeannette (mautnejl)
Subject: RE: English 101 Requirements

Dear dmf2682,
I conferred with our Senior Assistant Dean of Student Relations and
Advising for her perspective on your taking an undergraduate composition
course. In short, since you already have an undergraduate degree and an
MS, there is no mechanism by which to have you enroll in our courses.

The med school will base their admission criteria on your transcripts as
they pertain to med school preparation, such as appropriate science
courses, not as to whether you have an undergraduate writing course. In
addition, the fact that you have attained two degrees has already
certified your writing proficiency. Your degrees will carry more weight
than a single writing course.

Our advice is that you apply to medical school and not worry about
taking a composition course. I wish you well with your new career
aspirations.

Best,
XXX

XXX, PhD
Associate Professor
Associate Director, English Composition Program
XXX College of A&S
University of XXX
999.556.0462/3906
Contact all the schools you are interested in. Send them this e-mail from your school and ask them if the assumptions made in this e-mail are accurate, or if you still need the 1 year of english. If the medical schools say you still need english, relay that reply to the professor above. If the medical schools agree with the professor, you are good to go. :luck:

If the med schools still want the credits, try an alternative/competing area school.

there may also be english courses in other areas besides general composition that could be appealing, especially if it's a large university. if you have the credits for them already in your school's view, that means you have the english pre-req's required for other english classes.

If the med schools still want the credits, try an alternative/competing area school.

there may also be english courses in other areas besides general composition that could be appealing, especially if it's a large university. if you have the credits for them already in your school's view, that means you have the english pre-req's required for other english classes.

I would try this, taking a higher level english course in the department. Other option is to take it at a CC or clep out of it, as others have mentioned. This guy doesn't know what he is talking about, though. I really don't think your schools are going to waive the english requirement. I only had one english course, and that satisfied my degree requirements (I took a one semester advanced level english composition course), and the schools told me I needed a second semester, so I took a technical writing course at the CC. Just because it satisfies your school's requirements doesn't mean medical schools will accept it.

Why wouldn't you be able to enroll as a non degree seeking student and take those classes as self improvement? I've only come across one school that doesn't allow NDS students, and that was an accelerated online "college."

Seems weird to me. Could you perhaps contact the admissions office rather than the English department and see if they have provisions for NDS? That's how most people do their informal post-bac credits, isn't it?

I could be wrong.... but I would hate for you to spend the money applying and be rejected off the bat for something as silly as an english credit. I'd second the CLEP idea too.... test out of it, if you can!