enlisting to pay for school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kstewart12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any branches of the military that will pay for DPT school if you enlist? and if so your opinion on the matter? I'm wanting to avoid taking out massive student loans.. but I am not sure if enlisting would be the best way to go about it.

Members don't see this ad.

No, don't go this route unless you separately want to also serve your country doing another career. In other words, if you enlist and serve a few years, you can earn your GI bill which can be used to pay for dpt school after you finish your military obligation. But there aren't any programs to become a dpt while enlisted.

You could possibly enlist and work as a physical therapy tech which would help your application but this isn't guaranteed.

The other option of course is the Army Baylor program. You do not have to already be in the service to apply there.

I recently left the service (doing another career) to apply to dpt school. Unfortunately, I'm still going to end up with about 80k in loans after my GI bill pays because tuition is steep (I didn't get into a state school). Please let me know if I can help further.

I agree with starrsgirl. I joined when I was 18 and completed my associates and bachelors in my six year enlistment and I only paid for my books. However, I joined because I wanted to, not just for school. I am also getting two years of DPT school paid for and my rent paid for as well. So I'm guessing I'll come out of DPT school with $50,000 in student debt. There are programs that once you join, they will pay for your school debt. I would talk to a recruiter if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stargirl needs to come back to earth. I'm a civilian pt about to start work on a military base. Listen to jDaniels. Baylor has one if the best programs the nation. Their therapists are the reason I took a job on a base. They have total direct access to patients, order imaging, prescribe medications. It is a while new ball game. Plus if you get into Baylor you get paid to go to school as an officer. No loans. No debt. A modest paycheck. Guaranteed for a few years while you get experience working with a young, fit, active population.

But you have to be he BEST there is to get in. End of story.

Stargirl needs to come back to earth. I'm a civilian pt about to start work on a military base. Listen to jDaniels. Baylor has one if the best programs the nation. Their therapists are the reason I took a job on a base. They have total direct access to patients, order imaging, prescribe medications. It is a while new ball game. Plus if you get into Baylor you get paid to go to school as an officer. No loans. No debt. A modest paycheck. Guaranteed for a few years while you get experience working with a young, fit, active population.

I'm a little confused here. Come back to Earth? I mentioned the Baylor program in my post. It would be a much better option for the original poster than enlisting as a means to go to PT school. When you go to Baylor, you don't enlist which was my point.