MD & DO Enough Volunteer Hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Appleseed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Varsity Scout Leader (~75 hrs March 2016 - current)
  • supervising scouts once a week working on merit badges, varsity letter etc.
  • camp-outs once a month
Red Cross Volunteer Intake (~30 hrs February 2016 - current)
  • Help orient and guide new volunteers to departments
Hospice Volunteer (~50 hrs January 2016 - current)
  • Visit w/patients who are dying
"Community Outreach" (~20 hrs. August 2013 - May 2014)
  • Was a student athlete at a community college and we would go visit elementary schools during their lunch. We also put on assemblies for the kids.
Church Volunteer (~100 hrs.)
  • Babysitting 1.5 - 3 yr old children for two hours every week with my wife so their parents could attend Sunday school classes.
  • Teaching Sunday school classes to the youth and attending their youth councils and camps
Total ~275 hrs. Is this enough? Some of my peers have 500+ hrs......

I'm also curious if all of these volunteer experiences are relevant when applying to med school (should I count or mention the church service?).

Members don't see this ad.

Sense a bit of a humble brag... but nonetheless there is a point of diminishing returns and as long as you show a commitment to something then you should be fine. As long as you have 100+ of something you have been relatively consistent with you're good to go. Focus on other aspects of your app (clinical, research, leadership, stats etc.)

Any shadowing, clinical or research activities? I know you have 50 hours at hospice but that's not enough. All of your activities are short lived. Find something and stick with it. You can mention the church activities. No problem with doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Any shadowing, clinical or research activities? I know you have 50 hours at hospice but that's not enough. All of your activities are short lived. Find something and stick with it. You can mention the church activities. No problem with doing that.

I would argue that the church thing looks good (helping out and teaching the kids for something they feel strongly about) and it seems like you've been doing it for awhile. Keep that activity up and move on to more things like I said earlier (clinical, research, leadership, stats etc.)

I would argue that the church thing looks good (helping out and teaching the kids for something they feel strongly about) and it seems like you've been doing it for awhile. Keep that activity up and move on to more things like I said earlier (clinical, research, leadership, stats etc.)

Did I say he should exclude it?

Did I say he should exclude it?

Should have clarified, you said all of their activities were short lived, and I am arguing this is a strong point in their application and they seem committed to their activity. Looks good, stick with the things you like and move on to polishing up other areas of the application if that is what you're concerned with.

Oh okay. But his other activities have mostly started since January 2016 or later. I think he's box checking and just doing stuff to do it. That's why I said he should find something he likes and stick with it.

Oh okay. But his other activities have mostly started since January 2016 or later. I think he's box checking and just doing stuff to do it. That's why I said he should find something he likes and stick with it.

True, that's a fair observation. I am still pointing at the church thing and thinking that is pretty good on its own, but no date is listed

True, that's a fair observation. I am still pointing at the church thing and thinking that is pretty good on its own, but no date is listed
Church has been since August 2014 - current. I have been somewhat box checking trying to get volunteer hours as I was way behind my peers in that category.

It's sounding to me like maybe hours aren't the issue, rather length of time involved with the organization...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

I have ~900 hrs working as a cna, a few research projects with one poster... About ~70 hrs shadowing.

I have a year left before I apply and I'm trying to decide what to drop because I can't keep up with it all and study for the MCAT...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Keep what you really like and enjoy. You might have to talk about something in your interviews so keep that so it will be fresh in your mind. Be sure to include your cna, shadowing and the research. All of that is very important . Don't listen to your friends. Your ECs now seem just fine.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Double that hospice number and you're fine!

Varsity Scout Leader (~75 hrs March 2016 - current)
  • supervising scouts once a week working on merit badges, varsity letter etc.
  • camp-outs once a month
Red Cross Volunteer Intake (~30 hrs February 2016 - current)
  • Help orient and guide new volunteers to departments
Hospice Volunteer (~50 hrs January 2016 - current)
  • Visit w/patients who are dying
"Community Outreach" (~20 hrs. August 2013 - May 2014)
  • Was a student athlete at a community college and we would go visit elementary schools during their lunch. We also put on assemblies for the kids.
Church Volunteer (~100 hrs.)
  • Babysitting 1.5 - 3 yr old children for two hours every week with my wife so their parents could attend Sunday school classes.
  • Teaching Sunday school classes to the youth and attending their youth councils and camps
Total ~275 hrs. Is this enough? Some of my peers have 500+ hrs......

I'm also curious if all of these volunteer experiences are relevant when applying to med school (should I count or mention the church service?).

Reactions: 1 user