Enrolled into an SMP as a dental student but thinking of deciding to switch to medicine. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone this my first post in the premedical forum! I'm currently doing a Masters in Biomedical of Science at Rutgers and I came in thinking of going into dentistry. However I'm now deciding to go into medicine (rather not get into the reasons why right now). My question is, how do medical schools view these SMPs? My undergrad GPA was a 3.2, and I just finished my first semester here with a 4.0. With the assumption I finish my program with a 4.0 and I get a decent MCAT score, will I have a good chance of getting in? (excluding EC's, shadowing, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone this my first post in the premedical forum! I'm currently doing a Masters in Biomedical of Science at Rutgers and I came in thinking of going into dentistry. However I'm now deciding to go into medicine (rather not get into the reasons why right now). My question is, how do medical schools view these SMPs? My undergrad GPA was a 3.2, and I just finished my first semester here with a 4.0. With the assumption I finish my program with a 4.0 and I get a decent MCAT score, will I have a good chance of getting in? (excluding EC's, shadowing, etc).

Truthfully, the best SMPs are one's that you take alongside medical students (such as Georgetown's SMP program). Traditional masters programs aren't really given the same weight. However, a 4.0 and a good MCAT (not "decent", remember you're trying to overcome a below-average GPA) may help you get interviews assuming your ECs are good as well.