ENT indecision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confusion Abound

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted a similar thought in the surgical forum, by thought I'd get better responses in here.

Is it a poor decision to pursue ENT with a strong eye towards plastics and with a general lack of interest in bread and butter ENT? Also, do surgeons need to be excited by the science or pathology behind the surgeries they perform? Or is it enough to simply enjoy operating?

I was full steam ahead ENT until I did my rotation and realized I don't get excited by general bread/butter ENT. I don't find sinusitis or ear infections or tinnitus or vertigo intellectually stimulating. The science and pathology behind thyroid diseases don't rev my engine. I don't want to do H&N since it's all cancer, laryngology grosses me out, too much neuroscience in otology/neurotology. I like the procedures in rhinology, but I can't say that sinus pathology is remotely exciting from an intellectual standpoint. Skull base procedures carry a lot of morbidity, and feels more like neurosurgery than ENT. Allergy is intellectually complex, but I think allergy is generally a minor portion of an ENT practice. Plastics? Awesome. Septos, rhinos, flaps, post Mohs recon? Sign me up! But I wonder if a practice can thrive on plastics alone, especially in larger cities.

Is it wise to pursue ENT when a good portion of the specialty doesn't excite me? Is this normal? I get the impression that FPRS is an incredibly competitive fellowship, and will only get more competitive as time goes on.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you would be better off doing a general plastic surgery residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Concur.

Sent via my mobile device.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing a residency where you hate like 80% of the specialty sounds terrible...

Reactions: 1 users
Cross posting is a violation of the SDN TERMS OF SERVICE. Since there are plenty of responses, including some from ENTs, in the other forum, I will close this thread. Others can post there if they wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.