Entering MD/DO schools using a foreign degree (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyvrem85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

- I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong section -

I'm wondering if anyone knows how do MD/DO schools look at U.S citizens with a foreign degree ?

Some background on myself.

I'm a U.S citizen, and I graduated with a B.A in Geography from the National University of Singapore (honors, Second class uppers). I went on to become a teacher in Florida. I want to enter medical school and I've emailed all the medical schools in my state (Florida). All of which told me the degree I have needs to be evaluated by an evaluation agency. But all my science classes must be done at a U.S college/Uni. None have mention out rightly that they will not accept a foreign degree, all the replies I've got are vague.

I went through WES to have my degree evaluated and the report says my degree is the same as a 4 year US. degree plus 1 year of graduate studies. The overall GPA is 3.45/4.0 on a U.S scale.

Over the last 2 years, I've been doing pre-med classes at University of South Florida. I've completed all my pre-req and also taken 12 credits of upper level classes. I've got about 45 credits in total. My GPA is 3.70. I took my MCAT earlier this year and scored a 33. I've also got about 200 hours of shadowing and volunteering at hospitals and clinics over the last 3 years. I intent to apply for the 2017 admissions. I hope to use the next year to do more volunteering and gain more exposure.

I've basically followed what the standard US college student would have done to get ready for admissions into medical school. My worry is MD/DO schools won't acknowledge my degree or pass it over because it's not from a U.S college.

Any thoughts ?

I'm tempted to use my credits done at USF and continue on to get a second undergraduate degree in Chemistry. But i'm not sure what use will that be (?) It would fulfill the requirement of having a U.S college degree.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar situation (my undergrad degree was from Britain). You have done all the right things, to be honest, but there are going to be some schools out there that simply won't consider you. Oh, they may say with an evaluation it is not impossible, but at the end of the day there are plenty of other applicants who are just as qualified and have less complicated transcripts.

Don't despair - I am evidence you can still get in, but apply -broadly-. I would not be comfortable with fewer than 20 schools. Be prepared to leave Florida if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent yesterday calling up medical schools in Texas, Florida and Ohio. all the schools insisted that I need a U.S college degree or completed 90 undergraduate credits including all the pre-med modules for admission. bummer. but im already 45 credits done. I guess doing another 45 for a 2nd major couldn't hurt.

Reactions: 1 user
I spent yesterday calling up medical schools in Texas, Florida and Ohio. all the schools insisted that I need a U.S college degree or completed 90 undergraduate credits including all the pre-med modules for admission. bummer. but im already 45 credits done. I guess doing another 45 for a 2nd major couldn't hurt.

That sucks but now you know for sure vs. a dozen opinions based on ignorance. When done you'll be all the more prepared if you can take mostly science courses. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user