Entering Med School Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ingram

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to enter Med School after 3 years of college. I am about to finish my first year at a community college. I will have taken my English, Math, and Inorganic Chemistry requirements for University of Mississippi Medical Center (btw Deepsouthmedic, I am at Holmes CC Grenada Campus). I will be taking a science ( I haven't decided yet either Physics or Organic) this summer and A&P next year. Another option is to take physics this summer and commute to another college to take Organic in addition to the A&P course I will be taking next fall semester My questions are:

Do I have a chance in hell of getting in after only three years? (UMMC only requires 90 hours all in all)

I am planning on taking the MCAT next April (hoping to get A&P, Organic, and Physics down before then). Will I be ready for it (what do yall think)?

Will age be any factor about getting in? (I graduated high school last summer and started college last semester as a full time student at 16, I am now 17, no I am not a gunner)

My BCMP GPA is about 3.7-3.8 overall GPA: 3.845

Any thoughts, ideas, or info would greatly be appreciated. I only posted this question because I searched the forum and couldn't find any thing related except about Dental School and I think this is a little different.
Also if anyone wants to know something I didn't put down here say so and I will promptley respond (well as best I can because I will be going turkey hunting tomorrow morning).

Thanks in advance
Ingram

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools have the 90 hour option, but they don't often accept people without the bachelor's degree. That said, in my class of 88, there were 2 who hadn't finished undergrad, but they were both just a handful of classes away.

Not saying it is impossible or you shouldn't try for it...just don't count on it.

you're so young, whats another year?

Members don't see this ad :)
wait a year and live a little. There's no need to rush right into med school, because you'll be there awhile anyhow. Enjoy doing what you're doing now, take classes at a sane rate, and if you're really still looking for something to do, become an EMT or phlebotomist or something, to get a little experience and get some perspective.

When I was having one of my regular meetings with the dean of MCV I asked her about the 90+ credits rule. She said they did have that but had almost NEVER accepted anyone without a degree. She went so far as to say the committee frowned down about people who applied without getting their degree. She said they thought them as being arrogant and she would never recommend anyone ever doing it.

Now, that is just one school so I don't know how the others would react.

She said they don't like when people graduate with their 4 year degree in only 3 years. She said 4 year programs are there to make sure the students fully mature and are fully able to handle the class load of medical school. And that the 4 year programs were the best way to make sure that happened. In your case with you being so young, I would HIGLY advise you get your 4 year degree. Your GPA isn't high enough to even consider applying without a degree. Not to mention the fact that you are only in community college and not at a university yet. You don't have any where near the classes you would need yet.

You still have to gain clinical experiences that you can put in your EC section, you have to get to know your profs to get your letters of recommendation, you still have to take the MCAT, ect. You still have a whole lot of things left to do before you can even apply to med school. There is more to it than merely having the required classes.

Don't try to grow up to fast. there will be plenty of time for that. Go and enjoy college. It can be a great time.

I graduated high school May 2003, and will be graduating with my bachelors in December 2005.

Why?

I HATE UMCP, and it's very unfavorable for me to transfer at this point. Our core and other school is so different and therefore, I may be stuck for 5 years in undergrad. Plus, in-state tuition is cheaper, and I'm living at home since it's only 10 miles away... and I got sick living with others. On top of that, with 35K students the academic options are not numbered--and I wrote my own major (which won't transfer anywhere!)

I honestly thought about applying after earning 90 credits--but having a full degree of 120 credits is much different than 90 credits. UMCP had a contract with UMSOM that after 3 years, you entered the SOM and after your first year they gave you your bachelors and you kept on to the second year. Yeah, they stopped that the year I entered!!!!

The crap I keep getting from my advisor that I won't have enough "life experience" to apply. Got really sick at school because of the school--that ripped away 2 semesters of extracurriculars from me!! Going greek this fall, work at Planned Parenthood my final semester, and work at the UHC as a sexual health peer mentor. Been active in a religious organization on campus. Hope to be physically healthy enough to go into gymnastics my last 3 semesters there (stress fractures in the tibias).

I was born with spina bifida. Talk about life experience. I've spent more time in hospitals than med students do. 10 surgeries. Had to take a risk with surgery that although I may be better, there was a good chance I'd never walk again. Lots of discrimination by schools, other people... even teachers and coaches. I grew up really fast. I've not always known I wanted medicine, but it fits so well and I've explored many other options including law (another passion of mine). I will be a long terrm substitute teacher from Decembere 2005 until August 2006. I know what I want, I've spent more time acting like an adult so it fits that I graduate early end up entering med school a year early.

My honest opinion, from one "youngin'" applicant to another--take off a year and WAIT. You'll be 19--need to be stellar to overlook that teenage label, and just good grades doesn't CUT IT! Unfair to say I know. You say you are at a CC--when do you intend to transfer for a 4 year college? I'd have the next 2 years at a 4 year if you don't listen to us and decide to apply at 90 credits. CC are much easier classes where I'm from, and it looks a tad bit better if you're taking lab sciences at a 4-year (harder, faster paced in my experience). CC is a good starter, but 4-year looks like you're really serious at the whole going to med school shebang.

Here's a good alternative--finish a semester short of 4 years (take a summer class or 2, and take maybe a couple more credits than your "normal" semester to eliminate that semester). Be your own person that time--move in with friends, short term employment, volunteer. Something.

You're only young once, don't forget that.

Feel free to PM me.

-Liz

terpgirl, watching the UMD/JHU 100th game tomorrow?

If you plan to go without a bachelor's, everything else in your ap has to be exceptional.

ill second everyone's comments here on this thread....

and ask again..why the rush?

exmike, what game?!?!? HAHAHAHAHA, see how much I love my school..... if I do or if I don't, I'll be rooting for Hopkins! I never do for Maryland---especially during the bball season when we play Duke!

-Liz

Haha, Trust me I am having the time of my life in college. Yes, it is only a CC college so it is not as intense (though many do not say that about our Chemistry teacher). I knew the age thing would come up, I also realize that yall can't see me in person or judge how mature (or not mature) I am. I have already taken most of yall's advice. I am only taking 13 hours a semester (and loving the time off). Oh, and about the EMT, I will be taking the EMT-B course next semester (I have to be 18). No real rush about getting in to Med school, I was just interested if I could do it. It is something I would like to do if I could, but not necessary by any means (I am already a little ahead of the game). I will be transferring to a senior college next year or the year after (depends on a grant that I recieve that is based on interest rates). Another thing Amy B posted, I don't think I am growing up to fast (my dad doesn't either if that means something he is a RN). I am at college right now to have fun and pursue a career that I enjoy. You guys have no clue as to how many rags and jokes (good natured) my friends make about my age (yep, all I can look at is them older women :D ). Any way I appreciate all your posts and advice. I will probably go on and get a bachelor's degree, but I will probably also apply to med school just to see if I can get in (can't hurt anything can it?).
Thanks,
Brian

being a reapplicant is always a challlenge...
if you do decide to just get your bachelors just save yourself the 1000+ dollars for applications...

One more thing terpgirl, hope the tibia gets better. Yes we are in the same boat and you are exactly right about that "teenage label".
Brian

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you do apply, it's quite expensive :-D Just take one year to do your own thing... It's not the "how mature everyone thinks you are" garbage. It's not a number or stuff like that, but EXPERIENCE. I look like I'm about 12 on a day when I throw the hair up--I have to wear a little make up and actually have my hair "done" to not look like a child. I went shopping for a car the other week, and I was told I couldn't be old enough to buy a car, let alone drive one.

Parents think the world of their children. Always do. My dad thinks I'm mature, not growing up too fast and he's DOD at NSA.... so? Doesn't matter. On paper, you will appear to be an 18/19 year old attempting to get into med school without being stellar enough to make the cut.

Sorry, your last post hit a nerve with me.

-Liz

At University of Mississippi Medical Center the cost is about 6500 a year w/o the apartment which is about 1000-1500. So not to bad, but I have what is called the Sumners Grant which will pay close to if not all of it. Also, didn't mean to hit a nerve. You are right, it is still a 19 year old applicant on paper. I will probably apply (and will be as stellar as I can be). If I get excepted (which I know is highly unlikely) great. If not, nothing is lost, I will go ahead and get my bachelors. If I do apply it will be while I am working on a bachelors. I was hoping to work on the experience part by working as a EMT. Now don't get me wrong I won't become an EMT just for it to look good on my papers, I enjoy being in and around that kind of work (have been most of my life).
Brian

Oh, what you hit was the whole "I don't think I am growing up to fast (my dad doesn't either if that means something he is a RN)". Yeahh, daddy's say anything you want them to--they don't want to hurt feelings or make you made (remember that hideous drawing you did as a kid, that he said was beautiful and loved and put on the fridge?!?!).

Talked to several advisors, adcoms, etc. EMT work is something that when people say they want to get clincal experience they go do that... and it for some reason isn't looked upon insaley favoriably. Just some other activity you did--not a medical "wow, look they were an EMT!" kinda thing. More of a "oh, they spent time outside of the classroom doing something...." Yeah, I didn't catch the whole gyst of it but it's not really "medicine medicine" as they call it. Okaaaaaaay.

-Liz

EMT is going to be a side job for me, thats it. It pays more than any other job I could get and I enjoy it. If it helps ok, if it doesn't oh well. And yes I remember the drawing (it was damn ugly too) and I see what you were saying.
Brian

My friend graduated with his B.S. in three years and has been accepted to great CA med schools. It's possible, you just have to work hard. Good Luck! :luck:

unlike most of the ppl that post here, i totally understand why you'd wanna go into med school a year earlier and i don't think u should wait for that bachelor's if u don't want to.

i'm getting really sick of undergrad now too. and i'm ready to move onto the next stage of my life. but like everyone else said, it's going to be really hard. the numbers, experience, everything. i'm also trying to apply early and so far not very much luck although some surprises too.

in my opinion, even though it's "only" a year, i find that that's enough to make me go crazy waiting for med if i could get in a year earlier. there were a lot of ppl telling me that in retrospect, this one year won't make that much of a difference and i agree with them but why not if i can right? i guess it depends on the individual...if you feel mature enough and well prepared, then there's no point waiting another year unless you have other things you want to do. otherwise, go for it.

and another thing, i think it's very deceiving for schools to write that they have a minimum of 90 credits when they don't accept ppl like that. sure they say that you have to have a stellar application but in reality, there's no one that they're looking for.

they should just state that they require a degree for matriculants. i asked a couple schools about this and all of them said that although they have a technical requirement of 90 credits, it's "virtually impossible" for a person with 3 yrs, no degree to get in. kinda just annoys me because it gives false hope for some ppl.

also, for someone who has only 90 credits, if i was the adcom, i would expect less from these applicants because they haven't had as much time as other 120 credits apps. for example, they should have less research and esp against ppl with phds because that's the phds job, whereas an undergrad with research is something that he/she is doing extra out of their jobs as students.

bottom line....apply early if you really want it. and if u don't get in that year, you'll have the application experience for the next cycle. :)

Ingram, I would wait a while before applying. Find something else you enjoy. I studied architecture for a few years. btw, I am down here in Stark-vegas, Go Dawgs!! Our chapter of AMSA is visiting UMC next weekend and we'll be talking to Dr. Case. I'll see what he says and get back to you.

...adios

if you're going to go for it early, i'd recommend only applying to a few schools that you really want to go to, aka dream schools. if you're applying for the wouldn't it be nice factor rather than the get in no matter what mind-set then you'll not want to settle for a med school. also being a reapplicant at the same school means that you'll have to improve your application for that school. this might mean spending a few years getting an advanced degree. if you have to reapply, reaply to those dream schools and then tack on the rest of the schools you would be able to settle for. then you'd have lots of fresh applications.

Just wondering out of curiousity. You graduated hs early but went to community college instead? Why did you decide to do that?

youngin said:
Just wondering out of curiousity. You graduated hs early but went to community college instead? Why did you decide to do that?

maybe financial reasons?

Canada: Thanks.
Perrin: I am afraid you may label me a traitor. :scared: I may go to the enemy if Sumners is paying enough for Millsaps. What is Dr. Case over?
Oldman: If I apply early it will be because I really want to get in, but if I don't it is not going to kill me.
Youngin: It was mostly financial since Millsaps cost 27,000 and my scholarships right now only cover 17000. But I was 16 at the time and Jackson is the biggest city in MS, and our CC is a good one.
Thanks all,
Brian