entering med school in January

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chimes9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I recently joined the peace corps and was informed that I will not be returning to the US until January of 2010. I will probably be able to come home a month early. Would it be a problem to enter med school in January?

Members don't see this ad.

Quite likely, yes. Medical schools in the U.S. have a rather inflexible curriculum (save for the few that have "decompressed" five-year programs). You won't be able to start in January, but would have to wait until the following August. Some Caribbean schools have programs that would allow January starts. Good luck and be safe!

Well, I recently joined the peace corps and was informed that I will not be returning to the US until January of 2010. I will probably be able to come home a month early. Would it be a problem to enter med school in January?

Yes, unless you go to the Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree with the other posters. Starting in January isn't going to happen. You will have to wait until the following August at most, if not all, US schools. The courses tend to be given in a specified order, with anatomy as the "intro" to med school in most cases. And you aren't taking courses that are independent and free standing -- At most schools the subsequent coursework builds on the prior knowledge, and it is going to be assumed that you have a working knowledge of eg anatomy before you start physiology and path and so on.

i'm an RPCV. if you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

i had a whole year and a half of lag time. i returned december 2006 and will be starting in fall 2008. it kinda sucked, but that was the only way i could do it seeing as i hadn't taken the mcat and didn't have any LORs.

But then she came back and killed, killed, killed the interviews and application cycle.

So relax, you're on Jolie's path.

If you apply to the UMKC MD-Only program, they start school in January. Their deadline is Aug.1 of the year before you plan to matriculate. Beware that the program is limited to 5-10 spots; however, if you're an outstanding applicant, it might be worth it to apply?!?

If you're not returning to the US until December, then this will probably be a problem because you'd have to interview there in Sept or Oct.

If you're not returning to the US until December, then this will probably be a problem because you'd have to interview there in Sept or Oct.

this is true. timing interviews from your service would be difficult, especially considering that you can't travel in the last 3 months before you COS. you should also consider the expense of travelling from your host country back to the US for interviews. I know that a round trip from Cameroon to the US cost me $2000 when I came back on vacation.

Where are you going by the way?

What about Stewart University School of Medicine? They have classes starting in January and there's only a phone interview! You're all set! There is that ridiculous deposit via paypal though... but don't worry, it's TOTALLY legit.

well. I leave for Africa in November 2008 after I graduate in May. I will not be back until January 2010. I will be doing HIV/AIDS work. With all of the time in between it turns out that I will not enter med school for another 3 years. I have decided to just let life take me where it will. I know that I will get to med school because it is my passion. And I am sure I will recieve all of the inspiration that I need to continue my education while I am in Africa! Thanks for all of hte help! If you have anymore advice let me know! I need all of the help that I can get!

well. I leave for Africa in November 2008 after I graduate in May. I will not be back until January 2010. I will be doing HIV/AIDS work. With all of the time in between it turns out that I will not enter med school for another 3 years. I have decided to just let life take me where it will. I know that I will get to med school because it is my passion. And I am sure I will recieve all of the inspiration that I need to continue my education while I am in Africa! Thanks for all of hte help! If you have anymore advice let me know! I need all of the help that I can get!

Good luck to you. You're about to start an amazing adventure. Worry about apps when you get back.

If there's any advice I could offer, it's to be FLEXIBLE (what you're told you're going to do and what you actually will do can be 100% different) and have a sense of humor. Africa is pretty intense.

you guys are awesome. I toil about giving homeless people on the street money, you guys are going into the freaking peace core. Go you

If you have anymore advice let me know! I need all of the help that I can get!

I gave you a little bit of advice above, but really you won't understand anything I'm telling you until you get there. Most things are unfathomable coming from here.

If you have any specific questions about what to bring (that was my biggest concern), I'd be happy to help. PM me.