entrance to pod school with criminal background ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redredsoxsox

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So about 5 years ago, I was stupid, did some stupid things and now have felony conviction for grand larceny. I paid off my restitution in a day and my probation was cut to half a year instead of a year. Did some extensive counseling, volutneerships and other things to "repay" my debt to the society. I learned my lesson for sure. I never had any trouble obtaining a job or anything with the record but I am afraid that I will when I apply to pod schools.

I had to explain what happened i details on my application...would it be an automatic rejection for having this? For clinicals at various hospitals or residency...would they not allow me because of my past? Are there states that are more or less strict about giving chances to do well in medical field?

any helpful thoughts would be appreciated

my stats cgpa 3.19 sgpa 3.05 mcat: 8p/8v/9b
with numerous volunteering exp as well as DPM shadowing exp.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really have any advice to give besides to say that getting into med school is possible with your situation, but it's going to be an uphill battle.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my guess, you will have 3 barriers from entry to actually being able to practice as a Podiatrist. The first is getting into Pod school. The schools require a background check for matriculation, so call up the ones you are interested in and ask how this may affect your chances for admission and if they will disqualify you based on your felony conviction. My guess is they probably won't disqualify you (based on that alone), as for the most part, a warm paying body is a warm paying body.

The next barrier is residency. I am not yet at that stage in my education, so I'm not 100% sure how the process works, but you apply to residencies after you complete your 4-year DPM program. I'm not sure who you would call to verify if residencies can or will disqualify you from entering based solely on your prior conviction. Maybe check out the AACPM website under Residencies and give a few a call or shoot a couple emails. You DEFINITELY don't want to go through 4 years of Pod school and accumulate +$200,000 of non-dischargable student debt to only be denied the chance to ever practice or enter residency.

The last barrier is the state podiatric/medical licensing board, and this one is probably going to be the toughest. Many states (if not all) require a strong level of moral decency and obedience. I've heard you can even lose your license for things such as too many unpaid traffic tickets or an accumulation of other minor infractions. The point is, it doesn't take much for one to lose their license as a Podiatrist (or other clinician). Pick which state you plan to practice in, and give the State Board of Podiatry (or State Board of Medicine, as sometimes Podiatry licensing is handled by the Medical Board and not it's own Podiatry Board) and find out if this previous conviction will ever bar you from getting a license to practice.

Definitely confirm for sure that you are cleared on all 3 levels before you even submit your application to Pod schools. Best of luck.

To add to EK18's sound advice,

I suggest contacting a lawyer to discuss your particular situation and explore the possibilities of reducing or expunging the crime you were convicted of. A lawyer might also provide legal insight on how to best proceed with applying to graduate school.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I absolutely agree with what asksport said. Contacting an attorney is your only option right now. You need get this thing either expunged or reduced down to a misdemeanor. Make sure you find yourself a reputable attorney.

Not sure honestly. When you do get accepted to Podiatry school I believe all schools require a background check along with immunization/health forms and all that. That was the case for me entering NYCPM this year.

Best of luck with the process!

Expungement will not get you out of a crime for state licensing. They can see all expungements and require you to list them when applying for DEA license.

(I just applied for my license in June and carefully read the paperwork so that's my source)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah at the very least you will want to talk to a lawyer before going down this route. I think getting in will not be a problem, but residency or getting the DEA license might be a problem.