Entry level hospital salaries to decline by 10%

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what would you do for the 35k sign on bonus that I got?

Be old now?

I kid.

Everyone who got hired up to a year or two before me got $15K/yr in loan repayment. I'm a little jealous, but they're locked in to some ridiculous contracts.

Members don't see this ad.

Be old now?

I kid.

Everyone who got hired up to a year or two before me got $15K/yr in loan repayment. I'm a little jealous, but they're locked in to some ridiculous contracts.
haha - I am still a 30 something - far from old!

I negotiated so the sign on bonus was forgiven 33% each year (meaning if I left at 2.5 years I didn't have to repay it all).

Members don't see this ad :)

I negotiated so the sign on bonus was forgiven 33% each year (meaning if I left at 2.5 years I didn't have to repay it all).
Like a boss! May I ask how exactly you were able to negotiate??

I was kidding ;) I'm early 30s and even with a PGY2 barely missed the bonus years.

Like a boss! May I ask how exactly you were able to negotiate??
I was young (26) and bold and worked in an area that was ridiculously hard to staff - retail was giving 20k per year sign on bonus, and retention bonus

Back on topic. The rate offered in my area hasn't moved for the last 4 years, so it's been a 6-8% cut factoring in inflation.

Back on topic. The rate offered in my area hasn't moved for the last 4 years, so it's been a 6-8% cut factoring in inflation.
is your area cali?

we haven't had a complete stall (yet)

is your area cali?

we haven't had a complete stall (yet)

A major Texas metro. Texas economy is doing relatively well, but with 7 pharmacy schools and grads from other states moving here, companies where I'm at have no reason to increasing the pay rate for new hires, retail or hospital. Annual increases for existing staff are 2-4%, new grads have to take 2010/2011 pay rate, but hey, at least they can still find a job.

If a new grad is willing to move to a border town or middle of nowhere like Odessa, they can still get nice increases and may even have annual retention bonuses. Thing look good for new grads who don't mind hearing gun shots or like cows. Seriously though, the sky isn't falling in Texas, but new grads just have to be grateful at what they can get or be willing to trade life style for higher pay.

Last edited:
A major Texas metro. Texas economy is doing relatively well, but with 7 pharmacy schools and grads from other states moving here, companies where I'm at have no reason to increasing the pay rate for new hires, retail or hospital. Annual increases for existing staff are 2-4%, new grads have to take 2010/2011 pay rate, but hey, at least they can still find a job.

If a new grad is willing to move to a border town or middle of nowhere like Odessa, they can still get nice increases and may even have annual retention bonuses. Thing look good for new grads who don't mind hearing gun shots or like cows. Seriously though, the sky isn't falling in Texas, but new grads just have to be grateful at what they can get or be willing to trade life style for higher pay.

Throw in the possibility of a localized economic slow down from oil extraction/activities from the price drops.

My pharmacists are very special. They provide services that's vital to our patients, hospital, and the community in collaboration with other health care and non-health care practitioners. They're valued by our system administration and health care cannot function without pharmacists where I am, both legally and clinically. I'm not downplaying other field of pharmacists. Because I'm not one and that's not what I do. But everyday, hospital pharmacists contribute to improve outcomes.

So get over it dude.

What did your hospital do with the senate bill 1311 requirements?

our hospital have 10% raises in back to back years around 2000. (to bad I wasn't working then). But I have averaged 5% a year until the last two,

That is impressive. I think I got about 2% raise from the hospital I was working at back in 2000, but the hospital had made some bad management decisions and had an ever decreasing census, so cutting back on raises was one of the things the hospital decided was necessary. Ha, if I was smarter back then, I would have jumped into retail and got a $50,000 bonus or BMW or whatever they were handing out back then. But I was happy with my job, and job satisfaction, & didn't have my big family yet so I was satisified with my low raise.