Environmental Health thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneDay81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There don't seem to be too many EH applicants out there, so I thought I would start this thread to bring us all together. Join in and say what your background is, schools you're applying to, what your future goals are, etc... or anything else you feel like contributing! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
I'm also an EHS applicant for the fall of 2012.

GPA- 3.7 (B.S. Biochemistry)
GRE: V-570 Q-780 A- 4.0

I have about 3 years of research experience working more in molecular biology and 2 years of overseas working experience. I just graduated last March (2011).

The main end goal is to do environmental research at the molecular level, really seeing how environmental stimuli can radically change our DNA and potentially cause cancer.

Applied: BU (EHS/IHS dual degree), Yale (EMD), Yale (EHS), and Columbia (EHS w/ cert in Molecular Epi) (all submitted to SOPHAS 11/5)
Accepted: BU (1/6)
Waiting: Columbia and Yale

Great to see other EH applicants!!!

BS in Environmental Science: Environmental Health Concentration
Minor in Chemistry

I was recently rejected from Emory; trying to get over it... :(

GPA 3.3

Accepted: Saint Louis University (EOH), University of North Texas (EOH)
Waiting: Yale (EHS)
Rejected: Emory (GEH) (EH)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Codym-

What's the weak area in your application? What are you hoping to do? Personally, I steered clear of EOH programs- they just didn't appeal to me as much. However both places you got accepted look very appealing. I'm from Dallas and really don't want to go back there so I didn't apply.

GRE Scores are my weakness...I prepared for the GRE for about two months and did pretty good on the practice exams, but on the actual exam I did much worse... I'm expecting a "no" from yale as well...

I feel that my personal statement was awesome! :)
I'm currently applying to the University of Missouri as well.

GRE Scores are my weakness...I prepared for the GRE for about two months and did pretty good on the practice exams, but on the actual exam I did much worse... I'm expecting a "no" from yale as well...

I feel that my personal statement was awesome! :)
I'm currently applying to the University of Missouri as well.

my GRE is not that good too, may i ask what did you score? mine was ~1110. Thanks good luck with your rest of application!

EHS right here! Accepted to Michigan, but waiting on 7 others, so I am quite anxious. 324 on new GRE. Good luck to everyone here. Anyone hear from Emory Joint EHS/Epi program yet?

EHS Applicant here as well!

Undergraduate Career: (Top 15 public university)
B.S. Biology, B.A. Humanities, Minor in the Social Sciences
1 year ecology independent research experience
Weak GPA
GRE: Strong Verbal and Analytical Writing GRE scores, Fair Quantitative GRE score
Relevant Professional and Volunteer Experience: 1.5 years employment at environmental/ecology non-profit,1.5 years volunteering at enviro non-profit, Currently working as a lab assistant.
Applied to: Berkeley (12/1), Columbia (12/1), UCLA (12/1), UCI (1/13), SDSU (1/15), UW (12/28), BU (1/28)
Heard from: None yet. Staying positive!
Goals: Advocacy in the non-profit sector

EHS Applicant here as well!

Undergraduate Career: (Top 15 public university)
B.S. Biology, B.A. Humanities, Minor in the Social Sciences
1 year ecology independent research experience
Weak GPA
GRE: Strong Verbal and Analytical Writing GRE scores, Fair Quantitative GRE score
Relevant Professional and Volunteer Experience: 1.5 years employment at environmental/ecology non-profit,1.5 years volunteering at enviro non-profit, Currently working as a lab assistant.
Applied to: Berkeley (12/1), Columbia (12/1), UCLA (12/1), UCI (1/13), SDSU (1/15), UW (12/28), BU (1/28)
Heard from: None yet. Staying positive!
Goals: Advocacy in the non-profit sector

I don't know how "poor" your GPA is, but you appear to have great credentials! GOOD LUCK!!!!

EHS people exist!!
I've been lurking studentdoctor network for months never seem to see anyone else.
I'm mostly interested in cancer research, hoping to combine bio and environmental health.

Applied: Yale, Columbia, SUNY Albany, BU (MPH/MA), and Harvard (SciD)
Accepted: Yale, SUNY Albany

Hey,

GPA- 3.7 (B.S. Biochemistry)
GRE: V-570 Q-780 A- 4.0

I have about 3 years of research experience working more in molecular biology and 2 years of overseas working experience. I just graduated last March (2011).

The main end goal is to do environmental research at the molecular level, really seeing how environmental stimuli can radically change our DNA and potentially cause cancer.

Applied: BU (EHS/IHS dual degree), Yale (EMD), Yale (EHS), and Columbia (EHS w/ cert in Molecular Epi) (all submitted to SOPHAS 11/5)
Accepted: BU (1/6)
Waiting: Columbia and Yale

I assume you want to stay in the northeast so that's why you did not apply to Tulane. They have a good focus on environmental oncology, so I would think that school would interest you.

Yeah, I decided to stay NE and I really didn't want to apply to a lot of schools.

I don't know how "poor" your GPA is, but you appear to have great credentials! GOOD LUCK!!!!

Thank you! I am hoping that admissions committees share your perspective. GPA is just above a B- average with a general upward trend.

Members don't see this ad :)
EHS!

GPA: Crap (B.S. Biochemistry / Molecular Cellular Biology)
GRE: Crap...

Applied: Alabama, BU, Drexel, Emory, Harvard, Michigan, Minnesota, UC Berkeley, Texas, and Tulane
Rejected: Emory
Accepted: Alabama, Michigan

EHS right here! Accepted to Michigan, but waiting on 7 others, so I am quite anxious. 324 on new GRE. Good luck to everyone here. Anyone hear from Emory Joint EHS/Epi program yet?

That was my second choice but I ended up getting my first. When did you apply?

W00t EHS! I wish someone had thought of making this thread earlier-- Environmental Health gets so little love.

What are you all interested in? My favorite flavor is air pollution in underserved settings (inner city, developing countries, inner cities in developing countries).

I'm a 2nd year MPH student (EHS, no doubt) applying to doctoral programs mostly in EHS but also a bit in Enviro Epi:

EHS: Berkeley, Columbia, Yale FES
Env Epi: Johns Hopkins, UW, Harvard (EER)

Good luck all! :cool:

werd814-

Which school are you attending now?

My interests include water and soil, toxicology, infectious disease, agriculture/aquaculture, wetlands,vectors, zoonotics, and epidemiology...

Last edited:
Hey OneDay,

I'm at Yale SPH. Neat interests! Do you have any specific areas of the world you're interested in? I suppose areas with infectious diseases and wetlands. Russia? Florida? African areas?

Cheers!

werD

India, Australia, S. Africa... It's hard to pick! Tulane has some ongoing wetland related EH projects going on in Taiwan that interest me. All of my experience so far has been here in the US and I am really hoping I will get to do a lot of world traveling eventually.

I know its a little early, but have any of you put any thought into what you think you might write your thesis on? Just thinking about it stresses me out :(

Could someone opine what the top EHS schools are? Are they different from the US News rankings? Nothing specific order-wise but a "Top 5" group would be interesting.

I would be interested to know, as well. I would think the ranking would be a little different, since it would need to take into account the schools that are accredited by EHAC rather than CEPH, and maybe even ABET (industrial hygiene) programs.

There is this: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...gs/engineering-doctorate-environmental-health but I think it goes off of undergraduate environmental engineering programs more than anything

Here's the "obviously, everyone knows that" response, but for posterity:
In my experience, it really depends upon which specific sub-field you're interested in. For ambient air pollution, it's Harvard, hands down. For climate and air pollution, it's Berkeley. For climate and allergens, it's Columbia. For water, probably JHSPH. This way of thinknig is especially relevant for doctoral studies.

Butttt, generally for MPH studies
The generally best 5 (well, 8... this is hard) overall EHS programs in my experience are, in alphabetical order:

Berkeley
Columbia
Harvard
JHSPH
Michigan
UCLA
UNC
UW

Don't get me wrong, Yale has a phenomenal Environmental Health scene, but it's primarily because of the awesome Epi offerings at YSPH and the everything-else-environment offered at Yale Forestry. You can take advantage of that combo if you really want it... but I wouldn't say the combo epitomizes the YSPH or the Enviro Health experience...so Yale, in my opinion, is a borderline top EHS MPH school.

Good point, Werd. Just like with PH in general, EHS has so many different sub-fields that an accurate ranking would be difficult. Throughout my search for schools to apply to, I found that USC was very strong in "wild" water and UFl is great for zoonotic/vector/food as well as water, which made them rank quite high on my list of schools that appeal to me. However, neither of these schools ranks very high as a PH school, which is unfortunate. Depending on your interests, you may have to choose between name/rank and getting an education that includes the coursework that really interests you and applies to your future career goals.

Here's the "obviously, everyone knows that" response, but for posterity:
In my experience, it really depends upon which specific sub-field you're interested in. For ambient air pollution, it's Harvard, hands down. For climate and air pollution, it's Berkeley. For climate and allergens, it's Columbia. For water, probably JHSPH. This way of thinknig is especially relevant for doctoral studies.

Butttt, generally for MPH studies
The generally best 5 (well, 8... this is hard) overall EHS programs in my experience are, in alphabetical order:

Berkeley
Columbia
Harvard
JHSPH
Michigan
UCLA
UNC
UW

Don't get me wrong, Yale has a phenomenal Environmental Health scene, but it's primarily because of the awesome Epi offerings at YSPH and the everything-else-environment offered at Yale Forestry. You can take advantage of that combo if you really want it... but I wouldn't say the combo epitomizes the YSPH or the Enviro Health experience...so Yale, in my opinion, is a borderline top EHS MPH school.

during my conversation with one of the profs at uc berkeley, he thinks uw currently has the best ehs program. and again, it varies in the field you're looking into, but any of the 8 above is great in my opinion.

In everyone's opinion-
Are there any major differences between Yale and Columbia EHS programs? A pro/cons list would be great. I'ts hard trying to find any info for comparisons.

Codym- If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to hear back from Saint Louis University after they received your application?
I got an email when they recevied mine saying they hoped to be back to me within a week, and it's been longer that without hearing anything from them. Of course, I'm starting freak out a little bit, I really like the idea of Saint Louis. Thanks!

Has anyone received any merit awards or scholarships for EHS from any schools? It seems like a lot of people are hearing/have heard about awards by now but I haven't seen many from EHS.

Has anyone received any merit awards or scholarships for EHS from any schools? It seems like a lot of people are hearing/have heard about awards by now but I haven't seen many from EHS.

Nope, not yet. Berkeley told me they were sending their Awards out this week. Emory EHS seems to be on their own schedule (For example, I did not get an OPUS update in advance of a decision like many others in this forum, they sent me an email first). Harvard informed me EHS decisions would go out next week. Have not heard even a whisper from UCLA or Columbia. I'm assuming UCLA is reevaluating things due to their game-changing donation, but hopefully this week!

Hope this helps.

I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while, and I finally came across a thread that discusses environmental health. I applied for the PhD program in Environmental Health Engineering (part of the Environmental Health Sciences dept.) at Johns Hopkins, have any of you applied there? Would you know if decisions have been released yet? The admissions office is very unresponsive...

Thank you!

I'm in at Emory University (EH) and St. Louis University (EOH).

Graduating this summer with a BS in Environmental Science: Environmental Health Concentration
GPA: 3.6

Libby, I applied at JH for MHS in EH but have not heard anything yet.

Green, which school are you leaning towards?

Libby, I applied at JH for MHS in EH but have not heard anything yet.

Green, which school are you leaning towards?

I'm leaning towards Emory. I'm just waiting for the Visit Emory event before I make my final decision.

OneDay, are you leaning toward any school in particular yet?

Codym- If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to hear back from Saint Louis University after they received your application?
I got an email when they recevied mine saying they hoped to be back to me within a week, and it's been longer that without hearing anything from them. Of course, I'm starting freak out a little bit, I really like the idea of Saint Louis. Thanks!

H20gal,

My sophas app was submitted on November 8 and I was accepted on Jan 18. I think it would be a good idea for you to contact Bernie, the director of admissions. He's a SUPER friendly guy and always willing to help. :) Also, you could contact Dr. Lewis, the chair of the environmental health department.

May I ask for your stats?

Have you visited SLU yet?

Last edited:
EHS Accepted: Cal, Yale, Emory, BU, Michigan, Columbia
Rejected: Harvard (SM)

I'm really disappointed Emory didn't make me a scholarship offer, but Michigan and Columbia both offering significant aid, and so they jump to the top of my list. I will check out Emory this weekend since I live in the South, but not really feeling the love lol. Any thoughts on Columbia vs. Michigan?

Still waiting to hear from UCLA.

I'm leaning towards Emory. I'm just waiting for the Visit Emory event before I make my final decision.

OneDay, are you leaning toward any school in particular yet?

I'm also leaning toward Emory, based on reputation, cost, and connections with the CDC. I would like to eventually "settle down" in the MD/DE area though, which has me still considering UMD. Hopefully the decision will become easier as I hear from more schools.

Green, what are your career goals?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

H20gal,

My sophas app was submitted on November 8 and I was accepted on Jan 18. I think it would be a good idea for you to contact Bernie, the director of admissions. He's a SUPER friendly guy and always willing to help. :) Also, you could contact Dr. Lewis, the chair of the environmental health department.

May I ask for your stats?

Have you visited SLU yet?

Thanks so much for the response! I'm thinking I might shoot an e-mail to Bernie soon, he is fantastic!

As for my stats, they are not impressive, but adequate.
GRE: 157 V 156 Q 4.5 A
GPA: right around a 3.0, definitely my weakness
My LOR were very strong, and I do have a few things working in my favor, such as related work experience and a very related study abroad trip to Africa.
B.A. with a major in Chemistry

I haven't visited SLU yet, hoping to sometime this month.
How about you, have you visited yet?

I'm also leaning toward Emory, based on reputation, cost, and connections with the CDC. I would like to eventually "settle down" in the MD/DE area though, which has me still considering UMD. Hopefully the decision will become easier as I hear from more schools.

Green, what are your career goals?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Those are basicly the same reasons why I really like Emory also. I have a friend/mentor at CDC and he highly recommended me to attend Emory.

My career goals are to become an Environmental Health Officer in the U.S. Public Health Service and work in a fedral position (CDC, ATSDR, OPHS, etc.). Infact several USPHS officers and CDC FTE's I met while interning at CDC were Emory alumni.

Oneday, will you be attending Visit Emory? It would be nice to meet.

Your career goals sound very similar to mine. I am currently in the Coast Guard but strongly considering switching to USPHS after I get my masters. I am planning on attending Visit Emory since I am finding it very hard to make a decision about the school without checking out the area, facilities, and people. I really wish I could visit all the schools that I am applying to.

EHS Accepted: Cal, Yale, Emory, BU, Michigan, Columbia
Rejected: Harvard (SM)

I'm really disappointed Emory didn't make me a scholarship offer, but Michigan and Columbia both offering significant aid, and so they jump to the top of my list. I will check out Emory this weekend since I live in the South, but not really feeling the love lol. Any thoughts on Columbia vs. Michigan?

Still waiting to hear from UCLA.

you already got your fin aid package from michigan? i am still waiting to hear from them other than "we are in the process of assembling the financial aid package in the coming weeks."

Thanks so much for the response! I'm thinking I might shoot an e-mail to Bernie soon, he is fantastic!

As for my stats, they are not impressive, but adequate.
GRE: 157 V 156 Q 4.5 A
GPA: right around a 3.0, definitely my weakness
My LOR were very strong, and I do have a few things working in my favor, such as related work experience and a very related study abroad trip to Africa.
B.A. with a major in Chemistry

I haven't visited SLU yet, hoping to sometime this month.
How about you, have you visited yet?

HMMM...I don't see a reason why you wouldn't receive an admissions letter. My GPA is a little better, but our GRE scores are very similar. Also, I feel that my LORs & Personal Statement were strong - just like you. Given your work experience and trips, you should be in!!! Definitely get in contact with Bernie.

I applied and was accepted for the Fall 2011 semester, but decided to take a year off and get some experience under my belt.

I visited WashU and I wanted to like it, but the students seemed depressed and I left with a negative impression. It was a complete 180 with the students at SLU and the faculty are simply wonderful.

I'm trying to decide between SLU & Mizzou. Mizzou is significantly less expensive, but they don't offer the EH option. However, they seem committed with tailoring a program to fit my interests.

Good luck and let me know what you hear. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

HMMM...I don't see a reason why you wouldn't receive an admissions letter. My GPA is a little better, but our GRE scores are very similar. Also, I feel that my LORs & Personal Statement were strong - just like you. Given your work experience and trips, you should be in!!! Definitely get in contact with Bernie.

I applied and was accepted for the Fall 2011 semester, but decided to take a year off and get some experience under my belt.

I visited WashU and I wanted to like it, but the students seemed depressed and I left with a negative impression. It was a complete 180 with the students at SLU and the faculty are simply wonderful.

I'm trying to decide between SLU & Mizzou. Mizzou is significantly less expensive, but they don't offer the EH option. However, they seem committed with tailoring a program to fit my interests.

Good luck and let me know what you hear. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

It is so nice to hear some positive feedback! :) I think I will shoot him an e-mail, I hate to nag, but this wait is driving me crazy. I applied to four schools, but have pretty much narrowed it down to Saint Louis and one other, pending what I hear back of course.

I have gotten a really good vibe from Saint Louis, although I haven't been there yet. Everyone affiliated with the school that I have dealt with has been upbeat, positive, and eager to do whatever they can to help me out. That has really impressed me!

Good luck with your decision as well, let me know what you decide! I'm sure it will work out for the best for you. Thanks so much for all your help!

Green-

Have you been contacted by a faculty member at Emory? If so, did you ask any questions or are you just waiting until visit day?

Hey all,

Excited to find other EHS-ers on the blog! I have narrowed my schools down to Emory and U Mich, leaning towards Umich because of the award they are offering. Is anyone planning on going to admitted students day at any of the schools they have applied to?

Hey all,

Excited to find other EHS-ers on the blog! I have narrowed my schools down to Emory and U Mich, leaning towards Umich because of the award they are offering. Is anyone planning on going to admitted students day at any of the schools they have applied to?

I'm most likely going to Visit Emory. Also going to Tulane's open house this week unless I get a rejection before then.

Got in to Saint Louis! Found out over the weekend. What a relief, haha.

anyone applied / heard back from berkeley yet???

Green-

Have you been contacted by a faculty member at Emory? If so, did you ask any questions or are you just waiting until visit day?

Yes. I received a voicemail from a faculty member while I was at work a few weeks ago. I didn't have any initial questions at that time, so I'm going to just ask some during Visit Emory.

Also if any of you are flying to ATL for Visit Emory, AirTran has a March special where you get 3-4X A+ points for flying in/out of ATL. Its free to sign up and you can earn atleast a free business class upgrade the next time you fly.

I'll be driving since it isn't that far. thanks for the heads up though!