enzymes and equilibrium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 2.58.34 PM.png

Does this assume that Enzyme B catalyzes the forward and reverse reactions equally? I was thinking about catalysis in the forward direction to increase Keq (favor products).

Members don't see this ad.

Enzymes do not affect the thermodynamics (product distribution) of a reaction, only the kinetics (rate).

Does this assume that Enzyme B catalyzes the forward and reverse reactions equally? I was thinking about catalysis in the forward direction to increase Keq (favor products).

Catalysis must necessarily catalyze the forward and reverse reactions equally. That is to say you can't make it easier for A to go to B without also making it easier for B to go to A because both go through the same transition state. All an enzyme does is provide a pathway that lowers the activation barrier for a reaction so equilibrium can be reached faster.

Think of Ea as an energy "hump" that must be overcome. You can to left to right or right to left across the hump (i.e. forward or reverse reaction). An enzyme makes the hump smaller, which makes it easier to go in BOTH directions.

Good luck!