EP fellowship length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a rumor circulating that EP will be a minimum 3 + 2 requirement starting in 2016. This means no more 3 + 1 or 2 + 2. Has anybody else heard this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've heard from our EP program director that this in the pipeline; he didn't say when though. Our program is a 2+2

I've heard that as well and heard it so far will not apply to people who are 1st year cards fellows now. By 2016, does that mean people who start cardiology fellowship next year will be allowed to still do 2+2 internally?

I've heard the same thing that 3+2 is coming. Graduating class of 2015 (Gen Cards) will be the last one to do 3+1 or 2+2 as they have time to squeeze in that extra year now. So starting 2016, you have to have finished you Gen cards to start EP. All the 3+1/2+2 business should be finished by June 30 2015. What I heard was that finishing 3 yrs of GC will now be a requirement to start EP effectively removing any 2+2 business and it will be 2 yrs of duration - removing any 3+1 business.

If the new rule is enforced, all the EP programs are supposed to go to 2 years. This could mean even less interest in the EP field except for the die hard fans. This could be one way to thin the crowd; to ensure there will be jobs for future trainees.

I also heard that the basic/minimum number of procedures required is going to go up as well.

Anyone else has any other updates?

Last edited: