Epi with Bad Math Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Muffinho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if having poor performance in Mathematics will significantly lower one's chances of admission into Msc in Epidemiology (or MPH) program.

I did a degree in Mathematics a few years ago and had really bad grades (2.o overall GPA). I didn't attend classes or do any studying. I have a few upper year Statistics classes with Bs and As.

Since then, I've enrolled in, and will be completing an undergraduate degree in Biochemistry, my GPA for that degree is a 4.0. Epidemiology is one of the areas of study that really interests me, but I'm worried that my poor math grades, and poor overall GPA would severely limit my chances. To add to that, I'm a Canadian.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think so. You have to make up for bad mathematics grades on your standardized tests though. I did poorly in calculus and got a decent grade in stats. Epidemiology is not just math. They take into consideration your performance in biology, chemistry, physics and math courses. If you did poorly in one degree, but showed improvement, which you did in your second undergraduate degree then I think admissions committees might overlook your past academic record although they will have to take it into consideration. Your best bet is to perform well on your standardized tests, apply early, and make a strong case about your passion for public health through your letters of recommendation and statement of purpose.

People have been successful at getting into schools with below a 3.0. One thing I have to ask is that was your first degree also an undergraduate degree?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think so. You have to make up for bad mathematics grades on your standardized tests though. I did poorly in calculus and got a decent grade in stats. Epidemiology is not just math. They take into consideration your performance in biology, chemistry, physics and math courses. If you did poorly in one degree, but showed improvement, which you did in your second undergraduate degree then I think admissions committees might overlook your past academic record although they will have to take it into consideration. Your best bet is to perform well on your standardized tests, apply early, and make a strong case about your passion for public health through your letters of recommendation and statement of purpose.

Thanks for the response.

I plan to write the GRE next summer before I apply, I should do well. I can perform well in upper level mathematics and statistics, I simply made poor life decisions (nothing illegal). I Should be able to draft up a solid statement of purpose by application time. I'll probably create a list of schools based on my GRE scores. I know some schools will accept MCATs instead of GREs; I'll have to research that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I took the MCAT because I am applying to medical school after my first year so if you are not then take the GRE. I guess I edited my last post but do you have two undergraduate degrees? I think you may need to explain what happened somewhat within your statement as well, but don't harp on the mistakes that you made in the past though. Just talk about it and how you improved briefly and then discuss your passion and experiences related to public health and epidemiology.

Well I took the MCAT because I am applying to medical school after my first year so if you are not then take the GRE. I guess I edited my last post but do you have two undergraduate degrees? I think you may need to explain what happened somewhat within your statement as well, but don't harp on the mistakes that you made in the past though. Just talk about it and how you improved briefly and then discuss your passion and experiences related to public health and epidemiology.

Yeah, I have two undergraduate degrees. I was planning to take a year off after my first degree to pursue a career in MMA (yeah lol). A month or so into that year off, a family member was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor, and that is when I decided I wanted to do something related to health care and it is also when I decided I should do something that I think is meaningful.

Yeah, I have two undergraduate degrees. I was planning to take a year off after my first degree to pursue a career in MMA (yeah lol). A month or so into that year off, a family member was diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor, and that is when I decided I wanted to do something related to health care and it is also when I decided I should do something that I think is meaningful.

Oh alright cool. Well yea you have a story and that should be included in your statement as well. It would help to get some public health experience under your belt if you don't already have some to strengthen your application. I did epidemiology research at my undergrad and I think it definitely helped especially if you are applying to research intensive schools of public health. Apply Early! I can't emphasize that enough. All you can do is apply and see what happens. I am no expert in how admissions work but in my opinion passion and experience seem to be more important than grades. Grades still matter obviously because schools need to be sure you can handle the work.

I'm applying for volunteer positions at immunization clinics and blood banks. I'm hoping to get some research, but my school doesn't have a public health program. I have a little bit of research experience in an unrelated area (quantum mechanics 0_O), and solid ECs otherwise, but I'm really interested in the immunization clinics.

I'm applying for volunteer positions at immunization clinics and blood banks. I'm hoping to get some research, but my school doesn't have a public health program. I have a little bit of research experience in an unrelated area (quantum mechanics 0_O), and solid ECs otherwise, but I'm really interested in the immunization clinics.

That's good. Get as much experience as you can. Other research experiences are good but I think they take into account more strongly relevant experiences to public health. If your school doesn't have a public health program, you can try to find internships and other things that are that could be related to public health/medicine which you have started to do...I will be starting at Hopkins for Epi (masters) in the fall so if you have any more questions let me know. Hopefully other people chime in to this thread so you can get a different perspective.

That's good. Get as much experience as you can. Other research experiences are good but I think they take into account more strongly relevant experiences to public health. If your school doesn't have a public health program, you can try to find internships and other things that are that could be related to public health/medicine which you have started to do...I will be starting at Hopkins for Epi (masters) in the fall so if you have any more questions let me know. Hopefully other people chime in to this thread so you can get a different perspective.

How much is tuition at Hopkins? Obviously, other schools will vary, but I'm just trying to get an idea.

Tuition is roughly $46,000 per year. It's pretty expensive but if I pass the comprehensive exams and maintain above a 3.0 I get a 75% tuition waiver the second year (about 99% of MHS students get this from what I have been told).

Graduate school is pretty expensive and there are limited scholarships for masters students. PhD students get most, if not all of the funding, but there are opportunities for assistantships at various schools to minimize costs.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, I can get into one of the programs in Canada. Significantly cheaper and I may be able to stay at home.

Hey, just wanted to bump and ask about biostats programs.

Would I be competitive for any of them? If not, would retaking a couple of earlier math classes make the difference?

I see some programs require a B+ in Calc III and Linear Algebra I. I got a B in Calc III, B in Linear Algebra I and A+ in Linear Algebra II.