Epidemiology and Infectious Disease chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vballdoc8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior, BS Bio/BA Chem/BA Spanish + translation certificate. 3.00 overall gpa, have had a lot of health problems while in college and unlucky with professors in the biology department at my school (my school is more ecological biology based rather than human biology). I am involved in a research team in the department of biology at my school as well as I am a president of another science club on campus. Very active in intramural sports/club sports and I'm in a service organization with over 200 hours logged. Getting good LOR's will be no problem. I also work a part time job as a server at a restaurant and am studying abroad for the summer and hope to get an internship the summer after my senior year (taking an extra year to graduate because I'm getting 3 degrees). My ultimate goal in life is to work at either the CDC or WHO with infectious disease primarily in rural countries. I'm really interested in the epidemiological aspect of this field. If I want to enroll in a graduate program to ultimately get my PhD...am i too much of a long shot? What are some things I can do to improve my chances do you think?? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

also....does it make me more marketable to programs that I am a Bio/Chem major rather than public health? My advisor advised me not to change my major because of this factor so I was just curious

also....does it make me more marketable to programs that I am a Bio/Chem major rather than public health? My advisor advised me not to change my major because of this factor so I was just curious

Honestly, your major isn't a HUGE factor, so long as you either majored in something quantitative or you backed up your major with a lot of quantitative courses. However, it might have helped you to have kept a natural sciences major as opposed to public health, since that shows that you chose a more rigorous curriculum. Either way, I agree you made the right choice!

As for your chances of getting in.... have you pursued any public health experience? It's great that you're completing an internship over the summer, but since you're taking an extra year in school it may be worthwhile to pursue some long-term volunteering, such as in a clinic. Or you can pursue research opportunities in epidemiology as an undergrad, especially if you come from an institution with a public health program. My point is that experience can go a LONG way for an application, especially within this field, and schools like to see that you've already become a leader within the field of public health.

Overall, while your GPA is a bit on the low side, I think it is great that you pursued 3 degrees! Your Spanish speaking background is extremely valuable and will be weighed highly in admissions. Work to keep your GPA up, nail the GRE, and get some more public health experience and you'll definitely get into some top programs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info!! I'll get in contact with the medical school of my university and see if i can get involved in more public health research and volunteering. :)

You might also see if CDC is still offering internships for college students. They were talking about revamping the trainee programs last year so things may have changed.

Good luck
TrixMd