EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply... I feel ok about it. Unfortunately I have to reapply to the state since my eligibility is up so that'll take a little time but I'll be studying during that process anyway.

To all taking the exam this week. Take a deep breath. Take your time during the exam and for those questions that you don't know the answer pick one and mark it to come back to later. That was helpful for me. Take breaks and drink some water. I rushed through questions that I didn't know or recognize, I should've taken more time to try to look for clues or grade the answer more thoroughly but I was already feeling this sinus infection coming on.

Good Luck everyone! You'll be great!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

This would be my (personal) advice as well. My thinking--if you don't have time to make it back to all the questions you've marked, at least they're all already answered. Even if you don't think it was the right answer, it still has a chance of being correct, which is of course not true if you've left it blank. And beyond that, I found that my initial, knee-jerk response was often the right one.

Members don't see this ad.

any last minute advice about what “testing day” should look like? i have what i think is a very late exam start (4pm) tomorrow, and am conflicted about what to do before i leave for the test center… review the areas that are most difficult? do some more practice questions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I read a view index cards in the car beforehand at the testing center just to get my mind working. Good luck!!

Just got back from my exam. Well I'm not very confident. I felt that there was sooooo much that I didn't know. I do however have less anxiety about the exam itself, so if I do have to take it again this factor will be eliminated. What is the time frame for results, are they mailed?

Just got back from my exam. Well I'm not very confident. I felt that there was sooooo much that I didn't know. I do however have less anxiety about the exam itself, so if I do have to take it again this factor will be eliminated. What is the time frame for results, are they mailed?

Welcome to the club of Non-confidence post test! We all felt the same way, but it tends to turn out okay =) It depends what state you are in. My results were received in California for NY licensure on July 24th for a July 15th examination. NY uses snail mail. Other states have results within a few days online. You will have to wait until probably August 5th at the earliest no matter what.

Good luck

Thanks AC1234. I hope this is the case for me. I'm just glad that it's over and I'm taking a break from studying.

Last edited:
I used Academic Review 2013 material and received a 423 :( I am going to order AATBS. I wasn't impressed with Academic Review at all. I studied for many months and felt that there was a lot on the exam that was not in Academic Review

Last edited:
I had the AATBS materials and I felt the same way. I did find test master very helpful. The test I took yesterday made me feel very unsure. I guess when I receive my scores I'll know for sure.

I had the AATBS materials and I felt the same way. I did find test master very helpful. The test I took yesterday made me feel very unsure. I guess when I receive my scores I'll know for sure.

I was 98 percent sure that I failed after I took the test. Wait until you get your scores back to know for sure. Even as I type this I'm still in semi shock. Good luck!

And sorry to hear that Serendipity. Hopefully the second time will help. I would keep the AR materials and hopefully adding AATBS covers the stuff you weren't sure about

hi all… i just got home from the test too. felt pretty good during the first 100 or so questions, then started to flip out a little. i really feel like it could go either way. i used second hand Academic Review materials, and also Psych Prep… at first the workshop style of those CDs annoyed me… too much information, too slow of a pace… until i realized how thorough she is. i guess i’ll reserve judgement on the quality of the materials (and my studying… don’t want to be too self-serving here :) till i get my score.

hey, ac123… how long after you took your ny test/after the score date (1st or 15th) did you see your name on the licensure site? i think i’m feeling the need to compulsively check!!

good luck everybody… now it’s time to catch up on sleep! i’m putting away the materials till i hear my results… hopefully for good!

Hey Lifepsych.... I'm glad to hear you felt confident on the first 100 questions!! That's great! I took the test the 15th and received my scores through the mail on the 24th (NY doesn't post scores online). Did you take it through NY? I know another person saw their score on the site the day prior because they finished all the other stuff (post doc, etc) already. But NY isn't like other states so they don't post online.

Good luck!! Hopefully you will know in the next week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Lifepsych.... I'm glad to hear you felt confident on the first 100 questions!! That's great! I took the test the 15th and received my scores through the mail on the 24th (NY doesn't post scores online). Did you take it through NY? I know another person saw their score on the site the day prior because they finished all the other stuff (post doc, etc) already. But NY isn't like other states so they don't post online.

Good luck!! Hopefully you will know in the next week!
yup… NY… the land of the 75%! i have finished all my post doc work too… i thought i saw that in a thread somewhere… i thought he was a ny tester… my mistake… i think i’ll start checking after the 1st anyway… will give me something to do with all the nervous energy.

has your success sunk in yet? must be the most amazing feeling! congrats again! trying to figure out what I’m going to do tomorrow… and the next day… and the next… haven’t had my head out of the books for weeks! time for me to quickly start enjoying some summer… just in case it’s back to the books

last post for today… promise…

just want to express thanks, again, for the support of this forum… i believe a special thanks goes to you acronym :)

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hearing scores yet for the testing period ending July 31? I guess it's too early, but just probing.

I'm still waiting to hear. I feel like I'm waiting for Christmas or my birthday. I hope it's a good gift:)

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to take the CPLEE in a few weeks. Looks like a difficult exam--the Board Statistics showed an average 60% pass rate for first time in 2013.

I saw AATBS's program that has a book, 4 simulated tests, and actual person consultation for $175. Is anyone aware of this package (or any other program they make)?

Have you used the CPLEE one, and did it help improve your test performance/passing, etc.?

Does anyone have any part of CPLEE program they want to sell?

Thank you for your time and effort in answering this.

i’m still waiting too… just called the nys board… they are reporting that they haven’t even received the scores yet.

I'm going to take the CPLEE in a few weeks. Looks like a difficult exam--the Board Statistics showed an average 60% pass rate for first time in 2013.

I saw AATBS's program that has a book, 4 simulated tests, and actual person consultation for $175. Is anyone aware of this package (or any other program they make)?

Have you used the CPLEE one, and did it help improve your test performance/passing, etc.?

Does anyone have any part of CPLEE program they want to sell?

Thank you for your time and effort in answering this.

I'm confused, I thought the CPSE is the current test in CA.

Welp I can see on the PsyIms website that the "Exam Status" has been updated to "Scored" with no actual numbered score when I click on "Retrieve Score." Nerves galore.

Are Academic Review Practice tests more difficult than PsychPrep? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are Academic Review Practice tests more difficult than PsychPrep? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think the AR tests were more difficult and reflective of the test, JerseyDoc.

I studied for 2 months with PsychPrep and just passed with over 700. I am a pretty good test-taker and have a strong academic background, but I have a terrible memory and am not efficient at studying for exams. Psychprep's structure, active learning approach, and focus on deeper theory over rote memorization were very helpful to me. I used the full online program with written materials + audio + weekend workshop (online) + all quizzes and practice exams multiple times. I also regularly communicated with a terrific PsychPrep coach, which was vary helpful for focusing my studying. My practice test scores exceeded the satisfactory level, but only the last one was a passing percentage on the EPPP. Overall I felt very well prepared, but still left the exam totally unsure whether I had passed or failed. What a strange exam.

Now I just need to finish my clinical hours and take the CPSE!

Found out I passed. I still have gotten no email, but I can log in and get my score. Everyone check!

Maybe others notice things I don't, but I don't see a difference between the test companies questions. I used AR and AATBS (hand me downs).

Congrats psyman!! Where can you find the scores? A friend in CA is trying to find them

With AR tests, how do you know when you are ready to take the actual test? I'm so far getting scores in the low to mid 60s on the first time around taking the practice tests for AR.

With AR tests, how do you know when you are ready to take the actual test? I'm so far getting scores in the low to mid 60s on the first time around taking the practice tests for AR.

I took three AR tests and got a 69, 72 and maybe a 75. I never retook them, but just reviewed the questions I didn't know well. I know for me I had to look at the content areas and see where I was weakest. I was doing great on ethics and some others (75%+), but need to brush up on stats and test construction (50%). Low to mid 60s is not bad, but if you are consistently doing well in an area, move on and focus where you are weakest.

There is no real science to it, so there isn't a specific number. You will probably see your scores change and drop as you progress to later AR tests. I was getting mid to late sixties first time and 88+ second time around

Congrats psyman! I looked but it only says these are your scores, but no scores are listed. Does that mean anything. Wow I'm on pins and needles now. Thanks for showing me how to check on the web. I will keep checking throughout the week.

Congrats psyman! I looked but it only says these are your scores, but no scores are listed. Does that mean anything. Wow I'm on pins and needles now. Thanks for showing me how to check on the web. I will keep checking throughout the week.

Thank you! That's what it said when I checked, until today when my score posted and it showed my results. What state are you in? Good luck!

Thank you! That's what it said when I checked, until today when my score posted and it showed my results. What state are you in? Good luck!
I'm in Michigan. Thanks for the good vibes:)

Those of us east of California might be waiting until tomorrow... Best of luck Mipsyd, and congrats psyman!

I actually just checked a moment ago for curiosity's sake (I got my results back in early January), and it still doesn't have any scores listed for me. I'd imagine there must be an extra step that the state needs to upload or report them somehow, and my state just happens not to have done this. Luckily, said state was willing to just give me the results over the phone a couple weeks after I'd taken the test.

I actually just checked a moment ago for curiosity's sake (I got my results back in early January), and it still doesn't have any scores listed for me. I'd imagine there must be an extra step that the state needs to upload or report them somehow, and my state just happens not to have done this. Luckily, said state was willing to just give me the results over the phone a couple weeks after I'd taken the test.
Thanks for the info. Do they by any chance give you a score for each domain.

Thought I would chime in here. I studied about 50-60 hours and passed the EPPP by a large margin (taken last month just before DSM5 hit). I think over studying is worse than understudying. Now to do CPSE eek.

edit: in keeping with the theme of the original thread, I took 3 practice exams (psychprep and one I found online) and my scores on them ranged from 74 to 80%.

One thing I have learned in this process (I've taken the EPPP twice now) is that people's practice test scores range wildly depending on natural test taking ability. I personally think that in this exam, there are correct answers, answers you would choose in real life, and answers the exam company wants you to pick as the right answer. I personally find it very difficult with so much grey area within both the questions and the answers, that being said, there is nothing I can do about that. I just need to PASS this thing! I have spent so much money on this, spent countless hours studying, and while working with a full caseload. I just purchased an AR ExamCenter package, after using PsychPrep the first two times around and obviously being unsuccessful. I feel SO BURNT OUT, and its hard to not have that affect my mindset as I study. :( I guess I'm looking for feedback, suggestions, or anything that has worked for other people in my boat.

Welp I can see on the PsyIms website that the "Exam Status" has been updated to "Scored" with no actual numbered score when I click on "Retrieve Score." Nerves galore.
Same here.

Hi all. I signed up for SDN long, long ago (check me out, 7+ years whut whut) and found this thread while trying to seek some EPPP study strategies. I found the feedback and empathy shown here for this... this... thing we endure to be helpful as I neared the end of my studying. I took the exam the second to last week of July in order to beat the DSM-5 changes and I'm happy to say I passed with a score over 600. I thought I'd add my own experience since others' experiences have been helpful to gauge my readiness.

I studied for maybe two months, really studying hard for about 5-6 weeks. Was probably averaging 14-20 hours on weekends (Fridays off) while working full time APA post doc. Spent maybe a couple hours with the audio a week. Seems like each week was different, but getting more intense as the date approached. I still managed to spend a weekend camping, go to baseball games, attend BBQ's, etc. for most of the two months, but definitely became more of a hermit near the date of the test.

AATBS online tests ranged from a first (eye-opening) low 50's score to a high of 67%. Last exam was mid 60's. I only minimally used their written material. I took a total of eight of their exams one time only. I took one paper test (Old PsychPrep?). My primary study material (by time spent) was the PsychPrep audio (it's like I've known Sharon J forever) and accompanying binder. I had some long commutes and the audio made the long drives feel useful, although I don't recommend leaning too much on the audio alone. I got the most out of reading along with the audio. Like most people I had no I/O knowledge so hit that section hard as well as Abnormal given its relative proportion of the test. I kept tabs on areas I was performing weakest on practice tests and hit those sections again - PsychPrep, some outdated AATBS books and I also got hand-me-down material that I think is Academic Review (labeled for the use of a particular school). I took most tests in study mode and created study guides from items I missed. I was lucky to have colleagues at my post doc who had recently taken the exam and did well. My fiancee was also very understanding and helped me out in so many ways. Social support has really played a big part in my success.

I worked most of the week and took the day off before the exam. I didn't study much more but I did learn a lot in that last week of studying that ended up being on the exam. This may have just been chance, but some of the material I studied seemed so unlikely to be on the exam. Test day was the hottest day of the year so far and I have no A/C in my place. Being well-rested and feeling comfortable are important. I went in feeling okay but a tad out of it. Just may be good to consider when/where you'll be taking the exam and how that might affect you.

My test center had a good number of people taking other exams there, many requiring typing-- apparently lots of really LOUD and insanely FAST typing. I had been warned to bring ear plugs and I am happy I did. I was blown away by the first 50 questions, marking a majority of them and starting to feel like there was no way I was going to pass this. Consistent with what others have said, many of the questions felt so out of left field that I had my hands on top of my head thinking, "What the hell??" a few times. I feel like I had a good number of I/O questions and some real doozie "What % of population is X?" questions that maybe would have been one line buried in a study guide somewhere. Some of these were expressed in odds ratios, and I wasn't used to seeing that on my practice exams ("How much more likely...?). Consistent with others, I had a small number of questions that were almost word for word from the practice tests. I found myself needing to hustle up to make sure I finished on time even though I took a bathroom break and downed a Clif bar. Had less than 30 minutes to review and didn't get to review the whole exam. Walked out feeling defeated by a test of recall of arbitrary facts. A few questions still linger in my head as particularly WTF questions.

The most nerve wracking part of this whole thing is the waiting on scores. I'm in California and my colleagues and I all received our scores at variable times during the day. One colleague and I both took the test at the end of the month and found out our scores on the 5th. Another colleague had to wait longer than that for some reason (even though she spanked us in score). Trying to maintain my sanity at work while waiting for scores has been tough. I was checking e-mail and PsyIMS all day today just waiting for anything. I was literally walking out the door to run a group when I got the good news. I was shaking and shouted for joy. It took a few moments to compose myself, but this experience made for an interesting anecdote later in the anxiety group I was leading. Even though I didn't interact with anyone in this thread I appreciate you all posting your experience here. I completely expected to have received news that I did not pass today. I have brilliant friends who did not pass. I am still angry about the content of this test. I am angry that preparing for and taking this test costs so much money (and time). I found misspellings, poor grammar, and otherwise confusing passages. I also have many other gripes that have been repeated over and over in this thread. Ironically, if you're frustrated and pissed off about this test, it's likely you are actually understanding it enough to do okay.

Got an email at 8:49am EST stating that my scores were available on PsyIms... I passed! Took it in PA.

Passed. Mid 600's. My highest score on an AATBS practice test was a 64%. I think I took four and my average was a 60%. I found the actual test much easier/simpler than the AATBS ones, with similar content. My strategy was to just take practice exams, focus any studying on my weak areas (I/O). I did make a few flash cards of frequently missed questions, which was helpful for the exam.

One thing I have learned in this process (I've taken the EPPP twice now) is that people's practice test scores range wildly depending on natural test taking ability. I personally think that in this exam, there are correct answers, answers you would choose in real life, and answers the exam company wants you to pick as the right answer. I personally find it very difficult with so much grey area within both the questions and the answers, that being said, there is nothing I can do about that. I just need to PASS this thing! I have spent so much money on this, spent countless hours studying, and while working with a full caseload. I just purchased an AR ExamCenter package, after using PsychPrep the first two times around and obviously being unsuccessful. I feel SO BURNT OUT, and its hard to not have that affect my mindset as I study. :( I guess I'm looking for feedback, suggestions, or anything that has worked for other people in my boat.

I can understand why you feel burnt-out! I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but I would reduce my studying or find a novel way to study the information. For example, maybe have a relative or sig. other quiz you on materials or test questions; break up the pattern you've been studying in. Another tip would be to study in as many different locations as you can.

Passed. Mid 600's. My highest score on an AATBS practice test was a 64%. I think I took four and my average was a 60%. I found the actual test much easier/simpler than the AATBS ones, with similar content. My strategy was to just take practice exams, focus any studying on my weak areas (I/O). I did make a few flash cards of frequently missed questions, which was helpful for the exam.

I just got my score today, passed mid 600's AATBS performance on tests was low of 59%, high of 69%. Used testmaster, digital library, and domain quizzes from AATBS and EPPP android flash card app from StudyPsych. Both companies have top notch products... If you are poor, the $29.95 for the EPPP android app is money in the bank, but not the most efficient way for me to study (I prefer practice tests).

Mark

I took the exam on July 29th and found out that I passed with room to spare! I got an email at 9:48am telling me my scores were available on the website.