EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, i posted previously, and I appreciate all the shared information on here about studying strategies. I have to attempt this test by late march or the psych boardd will make me reapply, but even if i don't pass i'll then have a year to reattempt. I work in school psychology so i have a very long break during the summer to study if this first time doesnt go well. That being said id like to get this done the first time if possible. I currently have 2009 aatbs study books and corresponding CDs. I was contemplating buying used academic review books and CDs as well. Does that seem like a good idea? My next question is where is the best place to find practice tests? I currently have none, aside from the little quizzes they give you at the end up the chapters. I was considering doing the online testmaster...any thoughts? Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, i posted previously, and I appreciate all the shared information on here about studying strategies. I have to attempt this test by late march or the psych boardd will make me reapply, but even if i don't pass i'll then have a year to reattempt. I work in school psychology so i have a very long break during the summer to study if this first time doesnt go well. That being said id like to get this done the first time if possible. I currently have 2009 aatbs study books and corresponding CDs. I was contemplating buying used academic review books and CDs as well. Does that seem like a good idea? My next question is where is the best place to find practice tests? I currently have none, aside from the little quizzes they give you at the end up the chapters. I was considering doing the online testmaster...any thoughts? Thanks again
I don't think you need to buy the academic review materials since you already have AATBS. That should be more than enough. I used the 2011 AATBS and CDs and I did just fine. (If you do have to end up retaking it, you might be better off just supplementing that material with DSM-V specific materials because they'll start testing on that in August 2014).
As for practice tests, try asking your old classmates or other people you know who have taken the exams. I'm sure other people know other ways to get them, but I got them handed down to me from classmates who had used them to study.

You may want to purchase access to online testmaster. I personally believe they provide a good feel for the exam. AATBS recommends a 70+ consistently on 3 or more practice exams. I have read on this thread others scoring below that and still passing the exam, however, I would still shoot for 70. The books, CD's and Tesmaster should be enough. I wouldn't drag your studying out too long but give yourself enough study time to feel comfortable with the material.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
VPsyD and Impatiently-waiting, I really appreciate your feedback and advice. I think at this point i'll stick with aatbs study books, their note cards, their audio CDs, but will supplement with test master and i just purchased on ebay several practice tests and study notes someone has put together. I was also thinking of getting the note card app for 30 bucks for iphone, seems like a cool idea. Hopefully that will be sufficient. Now I just have to put in the time. I dont know if you read my earlier post, but i am not a Phd, I have a MA in clinical psych which i received over a decade ago. I am trying to get the MA level license in NC which requires the EPPP, but the cut off score is a bit lower for MA applicants, I think 450. That being said I am taking it seriously. I am a science and psych nerd and have continued to expand my knowledge of psych, science and philosophy so i have continued to learn, but I have never been great at stats and have never had an IO class, so thats an area that I will have to learn fresh. Thanks again for the info, it really is nice to read other peoples experience with this. This is something I have dreaded and put off for many years.

I'd second the sentiment mentioned above re: practice exams--that, more than anything, is what I personally found to be helpful, in large part because I spent time reviewing the answers (especially for questions I missed, but even for those I didn't) as they relatively concisely covered large amounts of pertinent information. It also helped for when I went back and studied the areas in which I was missing the most questions (e.g., "oh yeah, I remember reading about X or Y in some of those answer justifications").

Hi, all, I am using Academic Review 2012 materials to study for the EPPP. I plan to take it before August when things switch to DSM-5. I heard a rumor that the test domains (e.g. ethics, developmental, etc.) had changed recently - but possibly just the names of the domains have changed. Is anyone aware of a bigger change than the names of the categories? Do you think that the materials from 2012 will be in some way outdated if I plan to take the test in a couple months?

Hi, all, I am using Academic Review 2012 materials to study for the EPPP. I plan to take it before August when things switch to DSM-5. I heard a rumor that the test domains (e.g. ethics, developmental, etc.) had changed recently - but possibly just the names of the domains have changed. Is anyone aware of a bigger change than the names of the categories? Do you think that the materials from 2012 will be in some way outdated if I plan to take the test in a couple months?
I used materials from 2010 and passed exceedingly last May.

My materials were a few years older as well and I also didn't run into any problems in passing. However, I of course took the test before the DSM-V switch.

I think the specific domain changes are listed on the EPPP developer's website, maybe in a PDF somewhere. Other than the proportion of questions in each domain, I don't know if the material will change all that much other than for the diagnostic section. My thinking on that is this--with how slowly they've implemented changes in the past (based in part on how much data they need to accumulate before making said changes), and in light of how significant the diagnostic section changes are likely to be, I can't imagine they'd have much energy/time left over to devote to complete overhauls of any of the other areas.

I used this site to help me gauge my scores, so I figured now that I have passed :clap:I would chime in. My study process consisted of the following:

PsychPrep CD's in car while commuting (long drive to postdoc!)
Reviewed written materials (PsychPrep and AATBS) and took notes only on the information I did not know.
Did TestMaster and some hand-me-down practice tests. Made Brainquest flashcards for items I got wrong.

During the months of October, November, and December I probably averaged about 3 hours per week plus CD's in the car.
I studied 3 days a week in January, from 9 am - 2 pm. 4-5 hours on the weekend.
By mid-January, my scores on the practice exams were consistently in the 76-78% range (I did not re-take exams).

I took the exam on 1/31 and passed with a comfortable margin- 692. I may have "overstudied" but I didn't want to take any chances... I can't afford to shell out any more $$! There were many times that I felt completely overwhelmed - I have three kids (6, 6, and 4) and a full-time post-doc. Taking time off to study was a godsend. But it CAN be done, and man does it feel good when it is over!

Best of luck to all!
Elisabeth

Hi all! Which aatbs practice tests are best to use? TestPro or TestMaster? I currently have a subscription to TestPro. Is it worth it to also purchase TestMaster? Thank you!

Last edited:
The TestPro questions are somewhat easier than the TestMaster ones. I used both.

Hi all! I am taking the EPPP on Monday. I believe I have prepared adequately - I have done fine on practice exams (high 60s, low 70s) and with retakes have been in the mid to upper 80s. I have used a combo of hand me down materials from Academic Review, PsychPrep, AATBS, etc. I keep hearing such conflicting information about the test itself. Some people say that the questions feel nothing like the practice questions and are super convoluted. Some say the test items were much easier on the exam than the practice tests. Others say that they saw similarly worded questions to the practice questions on the exam it self, suggesting that the test materials do a good job preparing us for the format of the exam. What do you all think?! Any clarification on this would be great, or any tips for dealing with those super convoluted questions!

I went into the exam having read all kinds of horror stories about how "convoluted" the questions were... I was prepared for the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised. If anything, I thought the questions, or at least a good 80% of them, were easier than the ones I had encountered on my practice tests (a combination of AATBS and paper practice tests/retired questions). In terms of the wording, I felt very prepared - there were no surprises, and in fact there were many nearly identical items to those I had previously encountered.

It sounds as though you're in great shape. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went into the exam having read all kinds of horror stories about how "convoluted" the questions were... I was prepared for the worst.

I was pleasantly surprised. If anything, I thought the questions, or at least a good 80% of them, were easier than the ones I had encountered on my practice tests (a combination of AATBS and paper practice tests/retired questions). In terms of the wording, I felt very prepared - there were no surprises, and in fact there were many nearly identical items to those I had previously encountered.

It sounds as though you're in great shape. Best of luck!

Thank you for that! That is helpful to hear. Did you take it recently? Okay, so what you're saying is, what I'm studying will be on there?! Haha. I'm so scared from all these horror stories! Trying to just take some deep breaths!

I took my exam this past week and echo what many have said about feeling as though I failed completely. However, I am especially concerned because although I answered every question, I never made it back through all of the marked questions...and then I ran out of time! Does anyone know if my exam will still be scored even if I did not press the "end exam" button? The timer went off and then a dialogue box appeared saying "you are out of time." I still got the print off sheet stating that I completed the exam, but am now ruminating over the thought that my answers won't be logged because I didn't end it appropriately.

I should also add that I was never given the survey at the end of the test, which makes me even more nervous that it didn't actually post my exam as complete!

Any advice?!

Last edited:
I think I used materials from 2004 when I passed over 2 years ago - just had to note some obvious corrections myself when studying.

Like AA said though, the newer test now has the DSM 5. But the diagnostics section should be the least of the worries for most students.

Thank you for that! That is helpful to hear. Did you take it recently? Okay, so what you're saying is, what I'm studying will be on there?! Haha. I'm so scared from all these horror stories! Trying to just take some deep breaths!

I took it 1/31 - so just over a week ago. I think I had been preparing myself for the worst for so long - seriously, I all but expected for the questions to be written in Latin- that when it felt like any of the gazillion practice exams I did, it was a huge relief. I still spent time reading and rereading the questions and answers, and using the "strike through" feature to eliminate choices- but I did this on my first time through. Once I finished, I didn't go back and review. If the practice tests taught me anything, it's when I rethink and change an answer, I end up getting it wrong 90% of the time. I learned to trust my first instinct for sure!

Fortunately, this approach worked very well for me. :)

Best of luck!!! Just keep telling yourself that it will be over soon - hopefully once and for all!

I took my exam this past week and echo what many have said about feeling as though I failed completely. However, I am especially concerned because although I answered every question, I never made it back through all of the marked questions...and then I ran out of time! Does anyone know if my exam will still be scored even if I did not press the "end exam" button? The timer went off and then a dialogue box appeared saying "you are out of time." I still got the print off sheet stating that I completed the exam, but am now ruminating over the thought that my answers won't be logged because I didn't end it appropriately.

I should also add that I was never given the survey at the end of the test, which makes me even more nervous that it didn't actually post my exam as complete!

Any advice?!

I'd be shocked if the exam somehow didn't count because you ran out of time rather than hitting "end exam." You could always try contacting Prometric just in case, though.

I took it 1/31 - so just over a week ago. I think I had been preparing myself for the worst for so long - seriously, I all but expected for the questions to be written in Latin- that when it felt like any of the gazillion practice exams I did, it was a huge relief. I still spent time reading and rereading the questions and answers, and using the "strike through" feature to eliminate choices- but I did this on my first time through. Once I finished, I didn't go back and review. If the practice tests taught me anything, it's when I rethink and change an answer, I end up getting it wrong 90% of the time. I learned to trust my first instinct for sure!

Fortunately, this approach worked very well for me. :)

Best of luck!!! Just keep telling yourself that it will be over soon - hopefully once and for all!
I totally expect them to be written in Latin, too! Thanks again for the encouragement!

Like AA said though, the newer test now has the DSM 5. But the diagnostics section should be the least of the worries for most students.

Actually, the test still has the DSM-IV-TR. I believe it is switching to the DSM -V on August 1, 2014. I debated about trying to take it before the switch date or just wait until after. I decided to go ahead and do it now, mostly because I have the time to study now. I think that the DSM- V is a bit more logical, however. I think there could be some benefit to waiting, although the from what I have heard, the numbers show that sooner after graduating is better.

The state I am in does not allow you to sit for the test until after your postdoctoral hours are done. I am thinking I will apply to take the test through another jurisdiction and then transfer my scores after my hours are done. I have heard of a few others who have done that but do not know many colleagues here. Does anyone else have experience doing this?

I took it recently and it's definitely DSM-IV-TR for a few more months, so no need to cause unnecessary panic with false information on here.
That being said... I thought it was tough. I used AATBS printed materials, and took all the TestMaster practice tests, most of the TestPro material, and attended the weekend seminar. Many of the questions were on detailed aspects of our field that weren't covered in the study materials at all (I went back and checked). So, I'm feeling pretty disheartened since I normally do really well on tests and usually feel really confident afterwards. Not this time!

Yes, but everyone feels that did poorly on it, if not outright failed the hell out of it. But, statistically speaking, you probably passed it.

I wasn't convinced I flunked, but wouldn't have been terribly shocked if I just barely had either. Ended up with like a 670 or something.

Reactions: 1 user
Question for anyone who has applied recently to take the EPPP in California - how long was it from when you applied to the board of psych for licensure (to be able to take the test) to when you were able to take it? I heard rumor that there is one employee reviewing all applications for the state and the lag is up to 6 months...?

I used academic review print materials and listed to each of the CDs one time. On their 8 tests, I got above 70 on tests 5-8 (only above 75 on one) and I then consistently got above 80/85 on my second takes of those tests.

I, as many of you have posted, left the test feeling convinced that I had failed and even had a study plan made up and determined when I would be retaking the test. I had marked about 45 questions during the test and had more than enough time to go back to them, but I did not review anything else and ended with about an hour to spare. I'm a fast test taker and tend to change my answers so this was the best strategy for me. that being said, I stewed on it for days, convincing myself that I had gotten about 15 questions right and that I had gone too fast.

low and behold, the letter came (I took it through NY which uses snail mail) and I ended up with an 83 - further proof that A) academic review under estimates your scores (although I thought the actual test was more difficult than academic review's) and b) thinking you are doomed after it, is sadly just a part of it!

Hey everyone!

Just passed! Whoo hoo! Over 600 too! Guess I studied too long. :)

Anyways, the two weeks leading up to the test I was in this thread looking for advice, help, and comfort (which I received). I thought I would pay it forward.

Here is my story:

So in October I was done with my post-doc hours. In September I had begun my gathering of materials. This included both physical and electronic versions of everything. Workshops, chapters, practice tests, flash cards...from all major publishers as well! Just a ton of information. I had also purchased a flash card app on my Android phone that was extremely helpful. I initially started with the physical books, reading the chapters and taking notes in a notebook for later review. That fell through after two weeks of pure boredom. I decided to go through a first practice test. Oh man was that eye opening. I seriously scored below 50%. I barely knew anything at all. After that test, I kicked it into high gear. I was going through practice tests at home and at work (I had access to over 30 of them) and making flashcards of all the answers I got wrong. Then, for about an hour at night, I would go through each flashcard and try and memorize it. This went on during the weekdays and on the weekends I would go through the psychprep chapters and make more flashcards. I made too many.

Fast forward to November. I was done with studying. My initial push of motivation was now completely used up. I would find myself drifting off to thinking of other things while studying and had drastically improved my practice test scores (easily up to 90%'s on every single one I had taken). I felt ready and wanted to get it over with. I submitted for my ATT letter and went onto the prometric website to sign up. Every single center was filled until the end of December! Ugh!! I wanted to take it late November or early December! Nope, nothing until the 30th.

Well that was no fun. I set my date and continued my minimal studying, believing I was very very ready. That is when the PEPPPO came into play. About two weeks before my test date, I decided to take the PEPPPO as recommended by many on this board. Well, that was crazy. I was so glad I did. I only scored a 390 on it. Yes, a 390. With everyone here saying how this is representative of what you will get on the EPPP my heart sunk into my stomach.

I transformed into a study machine. No joke. I probably studied for nearly 8 - 10 hours a day for the next two weeks. My wife barely saw me, I was sneaking study time in at work, and every spare minute I spent going through practice tests or on the flashcard app. I was scared and anxious beyond belief. All I could imagine was receiving a non-passing score and having to do this all over again. Did I mention my wife is in her third trimester as well? Yeah, that did not help to reduce my anxiety!

Test day rolled around and I was beyond nervous. It took me almost the entire time, maybe 30 minutes to spare after having gone through my marked items. The test was pretty similar to the PsychPrep questions, but with added "what the heck are they asking" terminology. I actually saw maybe 20 of the same exact questions that are on the PsychPrep and AATBS practice tests. Glad I went through both! There were other questions that took a total of 1 second to answer and even more questions of the whole, "I truly have no idea what they are asking despite reading this question eight times over." I would say that I knew, for a fact, probably 50 of the questions. I was 100% for sure. I did not know, for a fact, at least 50 more. The rest were up in the air. I knew a majority of the concepts and could mostly get it down to two answers and would do my best to try and figure it out. On some I felt so proud after I worked it out, linking multiple concepts and coming up with an answer. Other times, a vocabulary term would come up and just mess me up. I knew what they were asking but not what exact part of the concept they were asking about. Of course I had those questions that I had studied for, remembered answering, then looked up afterward to see that I had answered them wrong. Ugh!

Long story short, I left the test feeling like it could have gone either way. I was neither confident of passing or failing. I was preparing myself for the failing score, in my mind. I of course, stopped studying and focused on other things that were actually enjoyable.

Again, I took the test on December 30th. Received my results on January 8th. Passed with flying colors. I received an email and had to log into the ASPPB to get them. I was beaming and am so happy that horrible hurdle is done with. For those of you reading this, you will pass, no matter what others tell you. If you put in the time to memorize the nonsense they want you to regurgitate back to them, then you will pass.

Final tips:

1. Gather all your materials and decide a method...then stick with it!
  2. Practice tests are your bread and butter!
  3. Try and get, no matter how old, practice test versions from both PsychPrep and AATBS. They both seem to match very similarly to the EPPP (PsychPrep the most).
  4. Take the PEPPPO and use it as motivation.
  5. If you feel like you failed, that is normal.
  6. You only need 2-3 months to study (1-2 hours a day, 4 hours a day on the weekends)
  7. When your motivation is lost, take a challenging practice exam for remotivation.
  8. Schedule your test date early!
  9. And the best tip I was ever given: NEVER TELL ANYONE EXCEPT MAYBE YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER WHAT DAY YOU ARE TESTING. This will relieve ungodly amounts of stress and pressure of "everyone knowing you failed."
Please feel free to contact me if you want to know anything else. I feel as though I am a seasoned battle veteran now when it comes to the EPPP and can hopefully help someone else pass.

Also, if you are interested in the materials I used:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ectronic-format-mp3-pdf-doc-etc-tons.1049819/

Good luck!

-SF

I am new to this post and after reading your story I'm trying to regain my confidence. I recently took the eppp exam february 17 and just recently received my scores and I failed a second time. The first time I took the exam I studied AATBS material for 8 months. I took the practice exams and was scoring in the high fifties. This time around I changed my study material to TSM which I thought was more predictive of the actual exam. I studied with TSM for 6 months and was scoring 67, 68, 70, 73, and 75 on the mock exam which indicated to me that I was ready to take the exam.

I really don't know where I should go from here. I am going to take the exam again next month but I really feel like I have put my all into this test. The test questions on the actual exam are so obscure and has no validity that it will make you a competent psychologist. Like you, I was able to narrow the questions down to two answers, but obviously I chose the wrong one. I really am looking for advice from anybody who can guide me on this very frustrating journey not to mention the money I have put into this.

hopeful4ever

I am new to this post and after reading your story I'm trying to regain my confidence. I recently took the eppp exam february 17 and just recently received my scores and I failed a second time. The first time I took the exam I studied AATBS material for 8 months. I took the practice exams and was scoring in the high fifties. This time around I changed my study material to TSM which I thought was more predictive of the actual exam. I studied with TSM for 6 months and was scoring 67, 68, 70, 73, and 75 on the mock exam which indicated to me that I was ready to take the exam.

I really don't know where I should go from here. I am going to take the exam again next month but I really feel like I have put my all into this test. The test questions on the actual exam are so obscure and has no validity that it will make you a competent psychologist. Like you, I was able to narrow the questions down to two answers, but obviously I chose the wrong one. I really am looking for advice from anybody who can guide me on this very frustrating journey not to mention the money I have put into this.

hopeful4ever

The only thing I can suggest off the top of my head, which I'm guessing you've already thought of, would be to really drill yourself with practice exams (and review the answers), as it seems like it might be the wording of the test itself rather than an absence of knowledge that's tripping you up.

hopeful4ever

What sections are you missing the most questions? Do you have an area that you feel is "weak" either now or during your training program?

What sections are you missing the most questions? Do you have an area that you feel is "weak" either now or during your training program?
I don't think its a section that I'm missing per se, but I'm thinking maybe I'm having difficulty with test taking strategies? I'm not really sure, but if I had to say an area that I am weak in it would be stats. I'm going to study for one month which will consist of taking about 8 mock exams and the peppp. What do you think?

The only thing I can suggest off the top of my head, which I'm guessing you've already thought of, would be to really drill yourself with practice exams (and review the answers), as it seems like it might be the wording of the test itself rather than an absence of knowledge that's tripping you up.
Absolutely!! that's what I plan to do and you are exactly right the wording is very confusing and it is definitely tripping me up!! lol.

I plan to take the exam again next month and within that time take about 8 practice exams in addition to the peppp and see what happens.
Thanks!

I don't think its a section that I'm missing per se, but I'm thinking maybe I'm having difficulty with test taking strategies? I'm not really sure, but if I had to say an area that I am weak in it would be stats. I'm going to study for one month which will consist of taking about 8 mock exams and the peppp. What do you think?

I think they'll either provide you with a break down of your scores automatically, or for a little extra money they can provide this to you. Sounds like it could potentially be useful, as it could help you focus your studying efforts. Just in my own case, I found that with the stats questions, it was more a matter of just solidly remembering a few basic, overarching principles than it was memorizing multiple stats-related specifics. Many of the other topic areas were much more detail-oriented and potentially obscure. Again, just in my experience.

I think they'll either provide you with a break down of your scores automatically, or for a little extra money they can provide this to you. Sounds like it could potentially be useful, as it could help you focus your studying efforts. Just in my own case, I found that with the stats questions, it was more a matter of just solidly remembering a few basic, overarching principles than it was memorizing multiple stats-related specifics. Many of the other topic areas were much more detail-oriented and potentially obscure. Again, just in my experience.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really think it's how the questions are worded on the actual exam. I have the most difficulty with question stems that present a topic in a different context and it's difficult for me to recognize the knowledge needed to obtain the correct answer. I am making sure that as I take the practice exams (I got a 75 on todays practice exam) that I have to take a moment to ask myself what is exactly being asked. I am on a schedule to take 12 practice tests within the next 3 weeks and review my answers intensely and take the eppp exam again mid next month. I Hope that helps! Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really think it's how the questions are worded on the actual exam. I have the most difficulty with question stems that present a topic in a different context and it's difficult for me to recognize the knowledge needed to obtain the correct answer. I am making sure that as I take the practice exams (I got a 75 on todays practice exam) that I have to take a moment to ask myself what is exactly being asked. I am on a schedule to take 12 practice tests within the next 3 weeks and review my answers intensely and take the eppp exam again mid next month. I Hope that helps! Thanks again!

No problem. I'd agree that at this point, reviewing now just your answers (i.e., why they were right or wrong) would be most helpful, but so would reviewing all of the other information include (i.e., why the other answers were right/wrong). Given the length of time you've been studying, I'd be inclined to think your level of content knowledge is fine, and as you've said, it's more a matter of learning how to better approach the test itself. And yes, I'm not a fan of the way most of the questions were worded. At all.

Has anyone experienced difficulties accessing AATBS.com. I was just in the middle of my assessment exam and the whole thing crashed. Currently, I keep receiving the "Webpage is blocked" message. Given the amount of money they charge for their packages this is unacceptable. Does anyone know if I would be able to resume the exam where I left off?

Has anyone experienced difficulties accessing AATBS.com. I was just in the middle of my assessment exam and the whole thing crashed. Currently, I keep receiving the "Webpage is blocked" message. Given the amount of money they charge for their packages this is unacceptable. Does anyone know if I would be able to resume the exam where I left off?

I can pull up their website, but as I've never ordered any online services from them, I can't log in and say whether or not those are accessible.

Hello:

I successfully passed the EPPP in April of 2012. I mostly studied the Academic Review and AATBS materials. I took the Academic Review introduction test and scored a 69%, and then I got a 47% on the first practice exam. I dumped the Academic Review practice exams because I was concerned about reliability and stuck with the AATBS practices exams thereafter. On the AATBS practice exams, my scores ranged from 60-69%. I would ace the 2nd try on the practice exams (practice effects). Following completion of the practice exams, I would buy individual blocks of practice questions and score much higher than I did in the practice exams. Then I took the EPPP and scored a 77%, with a standard score of 577. Then, I went home and took the final practice exam and scored a 76%. As such, I found that my actual score on the EPPP was higher than any scores on the first round of the practice tests. I studied a lot for this exam about (275-300 hours) in the few months before the exam. In review, I would say that the actual exam is a bit easier than most of the practice exams. Actually, a phone rep at AATBS estimated that test takers tend to score about two points higher on the real exam than the practice tests.

Hope this helps!

Darren

I'm hearing a lot about AATBS and Academic Review, but I've been using PsychPrep. Any thoughts on how people did on this material? I've heard that, like with the other companies, peoples score better on the actual EPPP than the practice tests.

Are any of the questions on the EPPP exactly the same as ones on the practice tests?

Hello:

I successfully passed the EPPP in April of 2012. I mostly studied the Academic Review and AATBS materials. I took the Academic Review introduction test and scored a 69%, and then I got a 47% on the first practice exam. I dumped the Academic Review practice exams because I was concerned about reliability and stuck with the AATBS practices exams thereafter. On the AATBS practice exams, my scores ranged from 60-69%. I would ace the 2nd try on the practice exams (practice effects). Following completion of the practice exams, I would buy individual blocks of practice questions and score much higher than I did in the practice exams. Then I took the EPPP and scored a 77%, with a standard score of 577. Then, I went home and took the final practice exam and scored a 76%. As such, I found that my actual score on the EPPP was higher than any scores on the first round of the practice tests. I studied a lot for this exam about (275-300 hours) in the few months before the exam. In review, I would say that the actual exam is a bit easier than most of the practice exams. Actually, a phone rep at AATBS estimated that test takers tend to score about two points higher on the real exam than the practice tests.

Hope this helps!

Darren

Hi Darren. I am glad to hear that several people are saying that the real exam is easier than the practice tests. I've been studying for many months with materials from psychprep. I just took the PEPPP and missed the passing score by 2 questions. I'm a little terrified to take the real one now, mostly because if I fail, it will take a long time to save up the money to register again. Any advice on how to study? I feel like I've done everything - around a dozen practice exams, flashcards, studying with a friend, using mnemonics, etc. but still don't feel confident.

Are any of the questions on the EPPP exactly the same as ones on the practice tests?
Actually, 3 or so questions that were on my EPPP were verbatim repeats from practice tests I did. I have no idea which ones, but that's one reason I think doing a lot of practice tests is helpful.

So I'm studying for the EPPP using a 2013 AATBS package. I find it odd that in the Clinical Psychology section, there is no mention of ACT or anything about other "third-wave" behavioral therapies. I've taken a few practice exams and havent seen any questions either. Anyone else find that odd or am I missing something?

to be honest, i didnt care. study. pass. done.

So I'm studying for the EPPP using a 2013 AATBS package. I find it odd that in the Clinical Psychology section, there is no mention of ACT or anything about other "third-wave" behavioral therapies. I've taken a few practice exams and havent seen any questions either. Anyone else find that odd or am I missing something?

It'll probably show up in about another 10 years. I agree with erg, though--I honestly didn't bother arguing with myself about the fact that so much of the information on the EPPP is based on old/outdated material and concepts. I just pandered to the test, learned what I needed to learn to pass, and then moved on.

Practice tests 70-74% (various)
Retired items 83% (the hand-me-down paper version)
PEPPPO 540 (the online one from the testing service 2 weeks before exam; had three areas without "passing knowledge")
EPPP 678 (just got score today :))

PsychPrep has some good test taking strategies and you can get that free from them on their website.

Hi all!!

I am in the process of purchasing my materials and have decided on the 6-volumes from AATBS, however am unsure if it is worth spending the extra $400 for the "Test Master". I have loads of practice tests that have been handed down to me from classmates and colleagues. Any thoughts?? Are the questions in the review in the 6-volumes of books and dozens of practice tests sufficient so that I don't need to spend this extra money?? Any and all advice would very greatly appreciated!!! To all of you getting ready to take the exam soon and are in the process of studying I wish you well!!!!!!!!

This is my first post and I'd sure appreciate some studying advice. I have just 20 days to go to test date and am very nervous! I've been doing PsychPrep and scored in the barely 70's in Study Mode and the low to mid-80's in retake mode (2nd time) on tests A-D. I thought that was encouraging but they say you need to be in the high 90's for test mode, and when I took test A in test mode today I only scored 84%. Do people really get scores in the high 90's on PsychPrep tests? I don't know how they do it! I did the PsychPrep study skills workshop too. Have read the book, highlighted, made notes, memorize things every day, etc.

I've also been doing Taylor Study Method and on their practice tests I'm in the low 80's. Did two AATB tests and scored 74% and 72%.

Wondering where I should focus efforts over next three weeks. I've been giving this a lot of time - I need to as I'm almost 60 and my doctorate is in school not clinical psych. Never heard of Adler or Ellis before. It has been a steep learning curve. Please help me out with suggestions. More practice tests? Shift from one test prep company more to another?

KByard

Never heard of Adler or Ellis before.

How does this happen?

....especially since Adler worked with children with behavior problems!?

Geez - now I have to defend my program? I'd really appreciate study suggestions instead! Adler was not mentioned in my school psychology PhD program, to my recollection. Nor have my 8 years of working post doc involved working with children with behavioral problems, nor do I intend to work with that population or do therapy after I'm licensed. I hear from others who did a clinical psychology track for their doctorate that much of the material on the EPPP was new to them anyway. Suggestions please?