EPPP practice test scores for those who passed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Darren. I am glad to hear that several people are saying that the real exam is easier than the practice tests. I've been studying for many months with materials from psychprep. I just took the PEPPP and missed the passing score by 2 questions. I'm a little terrified to take the real one now, mostly because if I fail, it will take a long time to save up the money to register again. Any advice on how to study? I feel like I've done everything - around a dozen practice exams, flashcards, studying with a friend, using mnemonics, etc. but still don't feel confident.

Hello::

So sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I just read your question. I seemed to struggle mightily as my scores just didn't seem to go up much with repeated practice tests. However, things seemed to come together for me when I started buying blocks of old practice test questions by subject area. I would take these mini-practice exams in the specific content areas, and noticed that my scores were higher on these than the standard practice tests. Perhaps this helped me focus better because I was taking one content area test at a time. Also, I studied the practice tests right before retaking them, and my scores were almost always over 95% the second time around. That was simple because I had all of the answers right there before taking the 2nd exam. I felt like I had cheated a bit, but watching my scores jump from the 65% to the 95% range was quite aa serious confidence builder. In addition, I spent at least half of the time studying the practice exams, and even more so at the end. Furthermore, I spent more time studying content areas that were heavily weighted on the real exam. But, I got through it with a pretty good score. Very relieved because it was a lot of work. Hang in there because my scores on the first round of AATBS tests were something like 60, 64, 69, 64, 62, 62, and 60. My scores on the Academic Review tests were 69% and 47%, a my very first practice exam (before I began studying) was only 52%. Then, took the damned test and got a 77%. So, hang in there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Apart from the I/O stuff, nothing was really new for me. You should know most of the material through your program. Studying is pretty much a review, and then learning how they test. Make sure you highlight the key words, like when they ask "all of these EXCEPT", "which of these is NOT," etc. Otherwise you get tripped on questions you know the answer to.

This is my first post and I'd sure appreciate some studying advice. I have just 20 days to go to test date and am very nervous! I've been doing PsychPrep and scored in the barely 70's in Study Mode and the low to mid-80's in retake mode (2nd time) on tests A-D. I thought that was encouraging but they say you need to be in the high 90's for test mode, and when I took test A in test mode today I only scored 84%. Do people really get scores in the high 90's on PsychPrep tests? I don't know how they do it! I did the PsychPrep study skills workshop too. Have read the book, highlighted, made notes, memorize things every day, etc.

I've also been doing Taylor Study Method and on their practice tests I'm in the low 80's. Did two AATB tests and scored 74% and 72%.

Wondering where I should focus efforts over next three weeks. I've been giving this a lot of time - I need to as I'm almost 60 and my doctorate is in school not clinical psych. Never heard of Adler or Ellis before. It has been a steep learning curve. Please help me out with suggestions. More practice tests? Shift from one test prep company more to another?

KByard

Just from my own experience--I never ended up taking any of the retired questions tests, but on the test prep company's (AATBS I believe, although it might've been PsychPrep; can't keep them straight in my head anymore) practice exams, the highest I ever got was 69%, and I still managed to pass with a mid-600's score.

My study suggestions are generally just to look at the content areas in which you're consistently still missing the most questions and then focus your efforts there. If it helps you feel any better, I spent <20 days altogether studying (not that I recommend this approach, mind you), so the fact that you still have ~20 to go means there's plenty of time to continue brushing up.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my first post and I'd sure appreciate some studying advice. I have just 20 days to go to test date and am very nervous! I've been doing PsychPrep and scored in the barely 70's in Study Mode and the low to mid-80's in retake mode (2nd time) on tests A-D. I thought that was encouraging but they say you need to be in the high 90's for test mode, and when I took test A in test mode today I only scored 84%. Do people really get scores in the high 90's on PsychPrep tests? I don't know how they do it! I did the PsychPrep study skills workshop too. Have read the book, highlighted, made notes, memorize things every day, etc.

I've also been doing Taylor Study Method and on their practice tests I'm in the low 80's. Did two AATB tests and scored 74% and 72%.

Wondering where I should focus efforts over next three weeks. I've been giving this a lot of time - I need to as I'm almost 60 and my doctorate is in school not clinical psych. Never heard of Adler or Ellis before. It has been a steep learning curve. Please help me out with suggestions. More practice tests? Shift from one test prep company more to another?

KByard

KByard - more power to you for braving this exam so late into your career. That's inspirational! To help answer your question, I am all too familiar with practice tests and the actual EPPP. I wouldn't worry about Adler popping up but a reference to Ellis and or Beck (basically CBT stuff) has a high likelihood of showing up. I would definitely memorize as much from I/O. I doubt any of us on this thread had a formal course in that subject so don't feel like it's all Greek to you when try to commit it to working memory. Know your ethics inside and out. There will be times on the test that you will have no idea where they got a question from, what it is reference to, don't understand what they are asking, etc. Basically, you will be led to think that you didn't learn everything you needed to learn for the test. Try not to get to hung up on this thought process b/c it's highly probable that it's a "pretest question" and does not even count torwards your score. If you suspect this, just "mark" the question and move onto the next questions so you don't end up using up minutes on a question that might not even count. You can go back to it later to make your best educated guess :) [As an aside...why the pretest questions???? They just make everyone feel bonkers when you're already nervous out of the gate!!! Sorry...just venting]

Someone else on this thread said it too...read each question carfully as well as the choices even if you think you know what the answer is. A right answer will be there but a "better" than right answer might also be there too..which by default makes that one the right answer according to the exam. Tricky tricky.

Also, not to poo poo Psych Prep practice tests, I've done all of them and I think the questions on them are all a lot easier and obvious than the majority of questions you get on the real exam. One of my colleagues passed after using AATBS and another just passed using the Taylor Study Method. You will probably walk out of the exam having no idea how you did. That's how the exam leaves you feeling in my experience.

Wishing you luck on your exam and your endeavors!

KByard - more power to you for braving this exam so late into your career. That's inspirational! To help answer your question, I am all too familiar with practice tests and the actual EPPP. I wouldn't worry about Adler popping up but a reference to Ellis and or Beck (basically CBT stuff) has a high likelihood of showing up. I would definitely memorize as much from I/O. I doubt any of us on this thread had a formal course in that subject so don't feel like it's all Greek to you when try to commit it to working memory. Know your ethics inside and out. There will be times on the test that you will have no idea where they got a question from, what it is reference to, don't understand what they are asking, etc. Basically, you will be led to think that you didn't learn everything you needed to learn for the test. Try not to get to hung up on this thought process b/c it's highly probable that it's a "pretest question" and does not even count torwards your score. If you suspect this, just "mark" the question and move onto the next questions so you don't end up using up minutes on a question that might not even count. You can go back to it later to make your best educated guess :) [As an aside...why the pretest questions???? They just make everyone feel bonkers when you're already nervous out of the gate!!! Sorry...just venting]

Someone else on this thread said it too...read each question carfully as well as the choices even if you think you know what the answer is. A right answer will be there but a "better" than right answer might also be there too..which by default makes that one the right answer according to the exam. Tricky tricky.

Also, not to poo poo Psych Prep practice tests, I've done all of them and I think the questions on them are all a lot easier and obvious than the majority of questions you get on the real exam. One of my colleagues passed after using AATBS and another just passed using the Taylor Study Method. You will probably walk out of the exam having no idea how you did. That's how the exam leaves you feeling in my experience.

Wishing you luck on your exam and your endeavors!

Thank you so much PsyDSoccerMom, AcronymAllergy, and WisNeuro for your advice! It is very helpful. I will be extra careful to read the questions very carefully. I have been finding the convoluted language in some of the PsychPrep questions does trip me up. Taylor Study Method and AATBS tests are more clearly worded and seem to be more about whether you know the answer than about critical reading skills. Has anyone found that to be true? Which is the real test more like? I'm also wondering about timing and testing conditions. With the practice tests of 225 items, I've been finishing with at least an hour and a half to spare. Is it true this is not a power test, and that there's plenty of time? I assume they do let you go to the bathroom, and realize that the clock is still ticking then. What about having a snack and a drink of vitamin water to boost energy? It sounds from the description of the test center I read online that you're not allowed to bring any food or leave the floor to get any. All they allow is a drink from a water fountain. Is that what you all found too?

Finally, how predictive are the AATBS tests? Is it encouraging or worrisome that I've gotten 74%, 72% and 65% so far? Last PsychPrep Test B in test mode was at 90%! Hurrah! Working very hard on memorizing things now. Don't like flashcards but have been doing little drawings/charts and replicating them over and over. A visual image seems to help. Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really does help me feel less alone in all this.

I don't think I ever scored above a 69% on any of the AATBS (or maybe it was Academic Review; I honestly can't even remember) tests I took, so it's probably a good thing that you're getting in the 70's. If you're curious about the "feel" of genuine test questions (which I personally found to be easier than those from the test prep companies), see about getting your hands on a set of retired test questions or two.

As for the time, I finished with somewhere around an hour to spare, and that was after I'd spent longer than I should have agonizing over the 40 or so questions I'd marked. You are able to use the bathroom whenever you'd like, but you need to sign in and out each time, and the clock keeps ticking while you're gone. You generally aren't able to bring anything into the testing area with you other than yourself and your clothes, so I believe it'd be a no on the snacks/drinks. You might be able to keep that sort of thing in your locker, although remember that you'd need to sign in and out to get to it.

Thank you so much PsyDSoccerMom, AcronymAllergy, and WisNeuro for your advice! It is very helpful. I will be extra careful to read the questions very carefully. I have been finding the convoluted language in some of the PsychPrep questions does trip me up. Taylor Study Method and AATBS tests are more clearly worded and seem to be more about whether you know the answer than about critical reading skills. Has anyone found that to be true? Which is the real test more like? I'm also wondering about timing and testing conditions. With the practice tests of 225 items, I've been finishing with at least an hour and a half to spare. Is it true this is not a power test, and that there's plenty of time? I assume they do let you go to the bathroom, and realize that the clock is still ticking then. What about having a snack and a drink of vitamin water to boost energy? It sounds from the description of the test center I read online that you're not allowed to bring any food or leave the floor to get any. All they allow is a drink from a water fountain. Is that what you all found too?

Finally, how predictive are the AATBS tests? Is it encouraging or worrisome that I've gotten 74%, 72% and 65% so far? Last PsychPrep Test B in test mode was at 90%! Hurrah! Working very hard on memorizing things now. Don't like flashcards but have been doing little drawings/charts and replicating them over and over. A visual image seems to help. Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really does help me feel less alone in all this.

AcronymAllergy is correct with the rules on taking breaks. I did not take any breaks and prefer to go straight through. However, a friend of mine did take 1-2 mini breaks to have a snack which she found to be helpful. I you find that you are making good time (say having completed over 100 about an hour and a half) you could give yourself a stretch break. I find it amazing if anyone has an hour left on their hands. Everyone's test taking abilities vary. I found myself finishing about 30 minutes before the clock ran out which allowed me to use the remaining time to review my marked questions. Strangely, I work a lot faster when I have done paper/pencil practice exams. Doing them on the computer generates anxiety for me which causes me to have sudden onset ADD.

Again...good luck!

I am all too familiar with the all-consuming nature of preparing for this exam. I took the exam in December 2013 and failed with a 491. I honestly felt like the test was in a foriegn language, and left feeling devastated that I could not have possible passed. I had prepared well, for about two months- 6 hours a day-five days a week. My score was actually higher than I thought it would have been. Just not high enough.

Since then, I have gone to a few "live workshops" and went back to my old ways of studying for exams. I took the "beast" again yesterday. I felt well prepared going in, and surprisingly, felt very confident as I was answering the questions. Most I knew, some I could narrow down to two, and there were very few that really had me stumped. My problem came in at the end. I had guaged my time well during the first half of the exam, but I guess I didn't do such a great job of time management in the second half of the exam. The test time ended and I was only on question 205. I didn't get to twenty of the questions.

Yesterday I was in a full blown panic over not finishing! Today I am trying to put things in persepctive. It is possible that some (or ideally all) of the 20 questions I didn't complete are part of the 50 experimental questions. I felt really strong on most of the questions I answered, and when I looked up some of the ones that I wasn't so sure on, I answered most of those correctly. Last time I was certain I failed, which I did, but I didn't expect my score to be so close to passing (491). This time, if I had finished all of the questions, I would think I did fairly well. I am just devastated that I didn't manage my time well enough to answer all of the test questions.

Here is my question. Has anyone else had the experience of not finishing the exam and still passing? I am telling myself it is very possible that I passed, even without finishing the full exam. I honestly think I answered well on the 205 that I did complete. Am I being overly optimistic because I can't imagine having to put myself, or my family, through all of this again?

If anyone has thoughts or experiences to share, it would be very comforting to hear. I took the exam on the 29th so hopefully I won't have to wait beyond mid May to hear from my state board. Unfortunately my state informs test takers via snail mail, and the turnaround time in December was incredibly slow.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

I am all too familiar with the all-consuming nature of preparing for this exam. I took the exam in December 2013 and failed with a 491. I honestly felt like the test was in a foriegn language, and left feeling devastated that I could not have possible passed. I had prepared well, for about two months- 6 hours a day-five days a week. My score was actually higher than I thought it would have been. Just not high enough.

Since then, I have gone to a few "live workshops" and went back to my old ways of studying for exams. I took the "beast" again yesterday. I felt well prepared going in, and surprisingly, felt very confident as I was answering the questions. Most I knew, some I could narrow down to two, and there were very few that really had me stumped. My problem came in at the end. I had guaged my time well during the first half of the exam, but I guess I didn't do such a great job of time management in the second half of the exam. The test time ended and I was only on question 205. I didn't get to twenty of the questions.

Yesterday I was in a full blown panic over not finishing! Today I am trying to put things in persepctive. It is possible that some (or ideally all) of the 20 questions I didn't complete are part of the 50 experimental questions. I felt really strong on most of the questions I answered, and when I looked up some of the ones that I wasn't so sure on, I answered most of those correctly. Last time I was certain I failed, which I did, but I didn't expect my score to be so close to passing (491). This time, if I had finished all of the questions, I would think I did fairly well. I am just devastated that I didn't manage my time well enough to answer all of the test questions.

Here is my question. Has anyone else had the experience of not finishing the exam and still passing? I am telling myself it is very possible that I passed, even without finishing the full exam. I honestly think I answered well on the 205 that I did complete. Am I being overly optimistic because I can't imagine having to put myself, or my family, through all of this again?

If anyone has thoughts or experiences to share, it would be very comforting to hear. I took the exam on the 29th so hopefully I won't have to wait beyond mid May to hear from my state board. Unfortunately my state informs test takers via snail mail, and the turnaround time in December was incredibly slow.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

How many practice tests did you take? What made your time on question ratio different this time around vs practice tests/other times?

My advice is that you NOT let it be all consuming, that you pinpoint weak areas that form a sizeable portion of the exam and work on them, and that you practice HOW to take MC tests.

Like erg mentioned, I'd do my best not to let the exam or its preparation become all-consuming (although I know this is easier said than done, particularly if it's caused difficulty in the past). MC tests in general tend to reward those with efficient testing methods, but the EPPP in particular is a great example of a test where content knowledge is truly secondary to test taking strategy. And as erg alluded to, in my opinion, the best preparation is really to just drill yourself over and over and over again with practice exams.

And in your case, look at it this way--even if all 20 of those questions were genuine as opposed to experimental (doubtful), that means you still have the potential to earn an 89%, which (as best I can remember) gives you an additional ~20% to play around with. I also want to say I know of at least one or two people who didn't complete the exam and still passed.

Edit: And nope, I have no knowledge as to how the experimental questions are spread throughout the exam.

Last edited:
I took plenty of practice tests, AATBS and was scoring 70-80 range. I also took the ASBPP one last week and scored 560.

As for all consuming, I should qualify that. I work full time, have a part time masters level license practice, and have two kids 9 & 12 who keep me busy with sports and hw most days. Given my schedule, my free time is minimal. Studying consumed whatever free time I had left. As for my weak areas, ie stats, research design and test construction, I am now very strong in those areas.

In time management, I was very careful to carefully read and reread each question due to the lanaguage style that is often confusing. The fact that I remember so many of the questions tells me that I really focuesed on the test questions too long. I wasn't getting stuck on the answers so much, but rather being too thorough. My question is if anyone has had an experience or knowledge of anyone else who passed the exam without finishing. Also if anyone has any idea how or where the experimental questions are fused into the exam?

My question is if anyone has had an experience or knowledge of anyone else who passed the exam without finishing?

I really dont think that matters, as it's exceddingly unlikely they are stacked in chunks like that.

The reason we dont give MC tests in grad school is because we have long known them to be just as much about strategy as actual content knowledge. EPPP is no different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like erg mentioned, I'd do my best not to let the exam or its preparation become all-consuming (although I know this is easier said than done, particularly if it's caused difficulty in the past). MC tests in general tend to reward those with efficient testing methods, but the EPPP in particular is a great example of a test where content knowledge is truly secondary to test taking strategy. And as erg alluded to, in my opinion, the best preparation is really to just drill yourself over and over and over again with practice exams.

And in your case, look at it this way--even if all 20 of those questions were genuine as opposed to experimental (doubtful), that means you still have the potential to earn an 89%, which (as best I can remember) gives you an additional ~20% to play around with. I also want to say I know of at least one or two people who didn't complete the exam and still passed.

Thank you so much. This is what I was looking for in terms of score possibilities.

Study Method: I used 2013 Academic Review Books, CDs, and practice tests. Basically listened to CD's during commute, read through the books, took my own notes, and took practice tests (each twice). Scored in upper 50s on diagnostic test, and upper 60s on AR practice tests when I first started. After studying several months I was scoring in 70s on first takes and 80s on second takes (these are the scores that AR suggest for test-ready students). At first the amount of material was overwhelming, but just putting in the time was what helped me... After a while it all starts seeming familiar, without having to memorize (this was new for me, as I can usually cram/memorize for less comprehensive tests).

Time & Mentality: I studied somewhere in the 350-400 hour range over the course of 6 months (not solid, we all have things happen in life...I moved/switched jobs mid-studying!). Many folks on here say they studied for a week or two...I know I was not ready to take the exam after two weeks of studying! I also did not have the luxury of having two free weeks to cram. Perhaps I could've gotten lucky and passed, but I guess the student in me saw the exam not just as a hellish exercise (which it was, at times) but also as an opportunity to learn. Yes, some of the material was annoying, but much of it was also quite useful. As a professor, I found myself often quoting things I was learning in class and I taught a research methods course at the same time, so basically used the research study guide to teach my class! Approaching the exam in this way made it somewhat more interesting, and helped pull me out of my anxiety a bit.

Doomsday: On the day of the exam I felt well prepared and calm. I was definitely nervous and the Zeigarnik Effect (see! I did study!) definitely held true, as I seem to recall only what I did not know, though I also did this on practice exams (felt like I did poorly, and did not). One thing I would warn against...Take the test in the same way you practice! I skipped items to come back to (which I did NOT do during practice)... Despite having an extra hour or more left over when I took practice tests, during the actual exam I RAN OUT OF TIME! Yes, I am a slow test-taker, and I tend to dwell on items I'm unsure of. When I ran out of time, I had NO idea how many items I was unable to get to (how many I had marked, and didn't have time to get back to)! Mostly because I didn't finish all items, I left feeling very defeated.

Results: I waited exactly 3 weeks for my score (in MN) though I took the exam on the 17th (they supposedly report on the 15th and 1st) and it was over the holidays/new year so that may have extended the time. Passed with a scaled score of 644. Not too shabby for not finishing!

Any idea how many questions approximately you did not answer? I am in similar boat, however I felt really strong on a large majority of the questions I did answer. Test ended at question 205, so I didn't get to approx 20 questions. Your post is providing me with reassurance that it is possible to pass even if you don't complete all questions. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated while I am waiting for results. Thanks!

Does anyone know if its still possible to purchase what I've heard mentioned as "250 retired test questions?" I'm in the final throes of prep (sit this Friday), and thought that might be helpful. I've done psychprep and all 8 AATBS Testmaster tests. The latter averaged at 70.6, ranging from 63 (the last one I took - great confidence booster!) to 76. Do they get harder, or am I losing it? Wondering what I should focus on these last few days besides memorizing some things.

Hello::

So sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I just read your question. I seemed to struggle mightily as my scores just didn't seem to go up much with repeated practice tests. However, things seemed to come together for me when I started buying blocks of old practice test questions by subject area. I would take these mini-practice exams in the specific content areas, and noticed that my scores were higher on these than the standard practice tests. Perhaps this helped me focus better because I was taking one content area test at a time. Also, I studied the practice tests right before retaking them, and my scores were almost always over 95% the second time around. That was simple because I had all of the answers right there before taking the 2nd exam. I felt like I had cheated a bit, but watching my scores jump from the 65% to the 95% range was quite aa serious confidence builder. In addition, I spent at least half of the time studying the practice exams, and even more so at the end. Furthermore, I spent more time studying content areas that were heavily weighted on the real exam. But, I got through it with a pretty good score. Very relieved because it was a lot of work. Hang in there because my scores on the first round of AATBS tests were something like 60, 64, 69, 64, 62, 62, and 60. My scores on the Academic Review tests were 69% and 47%, a my very first practice exam (before I began studying) was only 52%. Then, took the damned test and got a 77%. So, hang in there!

Thanks so much. I took the exam a couple weeks ago and am now awaiting my scores. The thing with the practice tests is that after awhile, I just memorized the questions so I started focusing more on terms and concepts. I'm now trying to find materials for the CPSE. Any chance you know where I could buy some from someone?

Apart from the I/O stuff, nothing was really new for me. You should know most of the material through your program. Studying is pretty much a review, and then learning how they test. Make sure you highlight the key words, like when they ask "all of these EXCEPT", "which of these is NOT," etc. Otherwise you get tripped on questions you know the answer to.

A lot of the material on the exam, and more so in the study material is very esoteric and useless. Being a good psychologist has little to do with knowing the diagnostic criteria for Huntington's Disease or differentiating between whether the 'best' term is "predisposing" or "precipitating". It's such a racket. There could be a much more valid ways to assess a person's suitability to be licensed.

A lot of the material on the exam, and more so in the study material is very esoteric and useless. Being a good psychologist has little to do with knowing the diagnostic criteria for Huntington's Disease or differentiating between whether the 'best' term is "predisposing" or "precipitating". It's such a racket. There could be a much more valid ways to assess a person's suitability to be licensed.

I might disagree just with the bolded portion, given that knowledge of diagnostic criteria of both medical and mental health conditions can be quite useful to a psychologist's (and, for HD, particularly a neuropsychologist's) daily practice. But I agree that the EPPP really does a poor job of tapping practical knowledge. Does being able to regurgitate Freud's psychosexual stages and exactly how they coincide with Erikson's psychosocial stages impact daily practice? Or, as WisNeuro alluded, does knowledge of pretty much any of the (apparently often outdated) I/O material relate to much of what we do? Eh, probably not so much.

I agree with AA comment. Knowing about hemoglobin A1c or what cogwheel rigiity is is not psychology either, but we dont work in vaccums. If I wasnt familar with these things, I probably would have much credibility to my PC patients. More and more you will need to work interdiciplinary with people. Part of this requires being familar with their terms and the patients they encounter.

I do agree that the EPPP is a bit of a joke and does have irrelevant material though. Such as what Smith (1977) found in his study about the eating prefernces bisexual eskimo's with OCDs living in Tusguska. Nevertheless, I think it does speak to something if you cant pass the thing. Lets face it you can miss ALOT on that thing and still pass.

Last edited:
Hi there. I wanted to document my EPPP experience as I used this forum extensively as support while I prepped.
I had to take the EPPP twice. The first time I only used the Academic Review books and didn't do any practise tests. This was my brutal mistake. I got 473. I left knowing that I likely failed. It was brutally hard.

The practise tests are ESSENTIAL to your success. The second go around I reviewed my weaker areas more intensively (I/O, stats, therapies) and did mass amounts of practise questions. I ended up doing around 3000 practise questions. I liked taking the tests in "study mode" so that I could read the rationales right after I answered the question, rather than go back and try to rethink the question out after I finished the exam. I then wrote notes to review the questions that I got wrong. I did Exam Advantage and Exam Centre on Academic Review and then bought AATBS practise tests around 3 weeks before the exam and did those questions as well. It's important to read all rationales whether or not you got the question right. The practise tests begin to teach you how to "think EPPP" and how to work through questions in ways that the EPPP writers do. The second time I got 607 (found out today)!

Like many others on this post, my practise test scores were much lower than my actual EPPP performance. Most practise tests I would get between 68% and 71% (I took 11, 225 question long tests plus many domain specific questions). The second time I took the practise tests I got around 85%. I also did PEPPO and only got 490 which was followed by MAJOR stress and freak out. I thought about cancelling but I just put study into high gear and decided to write. The second time I wrote the EPPP I left very confident and was almost certain that I passed. I also decided to take a brief break (about 60 seconds long enough for a bite of a granola bar and a sip of water) and I found this helpful. I didn't take any breaks the first time. I had about 20 minutes remaining after I finished the entire test. Just enough time to go through my "marked" questions. I completed practise tests much faster than this.

I found that the practise questions were highly similar to the questions I saw on the EPPP. Both in content and writing style.

I didn't do workshops, I didn't have the CD's and I was fine. Just books and practise tests.

Hope this helps as you all helped me!!

The first time I took the EPPP, I only had 6 weeks to prepare while working and used AATBS and did not pass. I took it a month later (studying everyday for 4-6 hours) and received a score of 491. Now I'm panicking and studying full time (still using AATBS) and taking it late June. I was scoring high 50's/low 60's with AATBS testmaster when first started studying and before taking the EPPP for the 2nd time I was scoring in the high 60's on AATBS. I took another testmaster exam a couple days ago and was in the mid 80's (probably because I have the exams memorized by now) but then took the AATBS final exam and scored a 50!!! UHG!!! My residency has expired and if I don't pass in late June then I have to wait a year to take again. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Anyone who didn't think AATBS was helpful and switched to different study method?

Humbly,

CP7

Score on PsychPrep E - 70, although I took it when I was exhausted
Score on TSM practice tests - varied between 73 and 80
Score on AATBS - hovered between 60 and 70
Score on the practice test you can order online from the EPPP people - 74
Actual score - close, but higher than highest TSM score
Time to receive scores - 26 days
Study time - about three months

GLAD IT'S OVER! If you're using TSM, that was the test that had the most predictive value for me and I felt had questions that were closest to what I actually saw on the exam. I think AATBS is a nerve-racking waste of time; I could have taken the test I think months before I actually took it but was freaked out by how poorly I did on those. I say scrap those and go with PsychPrep or TSM. I was lucky enough to get TSM paid for though my job, but I think it's worth it either way because it's well organized and easy to work though, and easy to see where your status is. It's even a bit fun, because of the web interface and the quiz questions. The cost in its own way, if it gets you to pass, is worth it because you'll end up paying that much to retake the exam.
good luck everyone!

Congrats on passing! I took the EPPP on May 17, 2014 and it has been difficult waiting to receive my score! I'm worried that I didn't study enough. Does anyone know the average time it took to receive their scores from the Pennsylvania board?

Congrats on passing! I took the EPPP on May 17, 2014 and it has been difficult waiting to receive my score! I'm worried that I didn't study enough. Does anyone know the average time it took to receive their scores from the Pennsylvania board?
I took the EPPP on May 16, 2014 and I am just about crawling out of my skin to find out the results! I know they get sent to the state boards within 6 business days of the 15th or end of the month. I called ASPPB today and they told me that scores wouldn't be sent out until Monday or Tuesday to the boards, then we would have to wait to be notified by our boards that the scores would be posted. I am in CA and I believe they notify you online, can anyone confirm that? Good luck to everyone, I really don't want to have to take that test again!!!

I've been reading this thread for a while now, and I've been studying since January. I'm using Psych Prep. Was progressing along, had a great boost after the weekend workshop and have been doing pretty well on practice tests since then. Scheduled the exam for two weeks from now, took two cold practice tests and did pretty poorly. Can't imagine prolonging this hell any longer, but prolonging the exam is cheaper than failing it. Confidence lost. Anyone else use Psych Prep? I know lots of people have said they never passed a practice test...just having a hard time wrapping my head around that and don't want to waste the money,. but so over this process....

I've been reading this thread for a while now, and I've been studying since January. I'm using Psych Prep. Was progressing along, had a great boost after the weekend workshop and have been doing pretty well on practice tests since then. Scheduled the exam for two weeks from now, took two cold practice tests and did pretty poorly. Can't imagine prolonging this hell any longer, but prolonging the exam is cheaper than failing it. Confidence lost. Anyone else use Psych Prep? I know lots of people have said they never passed a practice test...just having a hard time wrapping my head around that and don't want to waste the money,. but so over this process....

You've still got two weeks left, that's plenty of time. Maybe aim to take a practice test every day/every other day, review all of the answers for each test (those you missed and those you got right), review the Psych Prep notes for the sections with which you're still having trouble, and call it a day.

You've still got two weeks left, that's plenty of time. Maybe aim to take a practice test every day/every other day, review all of the answers for each test (those you missed and those you got right), review the Psych Prep notes for the sections with which you're still having trouble, and call it a day.

Thanks! They want me to delay, I just want to get it done. I took the TSM Initial test today, but no idea how it predicts passing the EPPP.

Thanks! They want me to delay, I just want to get it done. I took the TSM Initial test today, but no idea how it predicts passing the EPPP.
"They" as in...Psych Prep? Well yeah, it'd make sense that they want you to delay until you're absolutely certain you're going to pass. But quite honestly, I studied for a little under two weeks total and somehow still managed to pass. I don't necessarily recommend that, and I'm certainly not proud of having put it off for as long as I did, but that hopefully at least gives you some hope that two weeks can be plenty of time (depending on your study and testing taking styles) to beef up your test-related knowledge to passing levels.

"They" as in...Psych Prep? Well yeah, it'd make sense that they want you to delay until you're absolutely certain you're going to pass. But quite honestly, I studied for a little under two weeks total and somehow still managed to pass. I don't necessarily recommend that, and I'm certainly not proud of having put it off for as long as I did, but that hopefully at least gives you some hope that two weeks can be plenty of time (depending on your study and testing taking styles) to beef up your test-related knowledge to passing levels.
Yep, psych prep wants me to delay. They say it's strategy and test taking skills, not content knowledge. They said you'll never know all of it and will always see unfamiliar material.

I have the 250 retired questions now, am reviewing some materials, will redo the workshop questions and retake the tests, take the PEPPO maybe next weekend before I'm supposed to test.

Yep, psych prep wants me to delay. They say it's strategy and test taking skills, not content knowledge. They said you'll never know all of it and will always see unfamiliar material.

I have the 250 retired questions now, am reviewing some materials, will redo the workshop questions and retake the tests, take the PEPPO maybe next weekend before I'm supposed to test.

Testing taking skills and strategy certainly play a large part (particularly learning how to read the questions and answers, and discern what it is they're actually asking), as is knowledge of obscure and arcane psychological content. Just knock out maybe a half-dozen practice tests if you have them available and call it a day. That's what I would do, anyway. In general, I'm not a fan of delaying the EPPP, although with that recent price hike, they of course didn't do anything to assuage our anxiety related to not passing.

Testing taking skills and strategy certainly play a large part (particularly learning how to read the questions and answers, and discern what it is they're actually asking), as is knowledge of obscure and arcane psychological content. Just knock out maybe a half-dozen practice tests if you have them available and call it a day. That's what I would do, anyway. In general, I'm not a fan of delaying the EPPP, although with that recent price hike, they of course didn't do anything to assuage our anxiety related to not passing.
I redid the workshop questions last night and before I did, I reviewed the test strategies...and went on to change at least 5 answers, and of course I had the right answer to start. I ended up with the same score as when I took it before, but got several new questions correct.

I'm going to keep plugging away. At most I can delay 2 weeks because my window is 7/4.

If I do the PEPPO and don't pass that, I may delay. What are your thoughts?

The first time I took the EPPP, I only had 6 weeks to prepare while working and used AATBS and did not pass. I took it a month later (studying everyday for 4-6 hours) and received a score of 491. Now I'm panicking and studying full time (still using AATBS) and taking it late June. I was scoring high 50's/low 60's with AATBS testmaster when first started studying and before taking the EPPP for the 2nd time I was scoring in the high 60's on AATBS. I took another testmaster exam a couple days ago and was in the mid 80's (probably because I have the exams memorized by now) but then took the AATBS final exam and scored a 50!!! UHG!!! My residency has expired and if I don't pass in late June then I have to wait a year to take again. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!! Anyone who didn't think AATBS was helpful and switched to different study method?

Humbly,

CP7
I found AATBS to be highly similar to Academic Review - but I did use both methods which I found helpful and helped me feel more prepared. Perhaps consider other practise questions from another company to change things up a bit? I liked the domain specific practise questions on AR too, they helped me target weaker areas.

I haven't been on the boards for quite a while, but recently found great support in reading through the EPPP threads. I am happy to report that I found out today that I passed the EPPP. I took it on May 25th and received my scores online today. I did the cram for 3-4 weeks method and just didn't have the money to buy any significant study materials. I work full time so my time was limited but I put it around 80-100 hours total. I bought a few practice tests on eBay with outlines for $20.00 and had a few old practice tests that were given to me. I also took the PEPPO once before studying and scored a 500 (barely). I was very anxious when taking the tests and made a few stupid errors- but still passed with a good margin. I left feeling like I would be right on the line between failing and passing and felt defeated. I had marked 104 questions because I was not certain on that many..... I am so relieved and glad I was able to do it without the expensive materials- I really wanted them but just couldn't come up with the money. I thought the PEPPO and retired questions (1 test) were the most helpful by far. Practice tests were also helpful. Now onto the Florida Laws and Rules Exam!

I haven't been on the boards for quite a while, but recently found great support in reading through the EPPP threads. I am happy to report that I found out today that I passed the EPPP. I took it on May 25th and received my scores online today. I did the cram for 3-4 weeks method and just didn't have the money to buy any significant study materials. I work full time so my time was limited but I put it around 80-100 hours total. I bought a few practice tests on eBay with outlines for $20.00 and had a few old practice tests that were given to me. I also took the PEPPO once before studying and scored a 500 (barely). I was very anxious when taking the tests and made a few stupid errors- but still passed with a good margin. I left feeling like I would be right on the line between failing and passing and felt defeated. I had marked 104 questions because I was not certain on that many..... I am so relieved and glad I was able to do it without the expensive materials- I really wanted them but just couldn't come up with the money. I thought the PEPPO and retired questions (1 test) were the most helpful by far. Practice tests were also helpful. Now onto the Florida Laws and Rules Exam!
Keep me posted on that Florida exam, I'm heading there! I did see there's a free practice for that online, and the questions seemed pretty easy.

First and foremost, I am appreciative of everyone who has posted on this thread. It has been something I have referred to multiple times during my EPPP process, and it provided plenty of comfort when I doubted my ability to pass. I wanted to share my EPPP experience and hope that it helps out someone who plans to take the test in the future.

I attended a clinical psychology PhD program which adhered to the scientist-practitioner model. I felt that our classwork was fairly comprehensive. However, I honestly do not feel that my classwork background really mattered when it came to preparing for the EPPP (which will make sense shortly when I discuss my scores). The program I went to has a >95% pass rate on the EPPP, so I felt reasonably confident starting the process.

Then I took my first practice exam. Without any prep work before, I wanted to see what my baseline was. I took the Academic Review's free online diagnostic exam and scored a whopping 56%. That's no typo, 56%. That was a real surprise. I thought I knew my stuff, but I clearly did not know what the EPPP was looking for. I took this practice exam almost 3 months to the day before my actual EPPP.

Over the first 1.5 months, I spent between 6-10 hours per week reading over Academic Review books, and nothing else. I then took a PsychPrep practice exam and scored 57%. That was a disappointment... over a month of studying, and I did 1% better. At this point, I was somewhat worried about my lack of improvement.

Over the next month, I studied around 10-15 hours per week. I started listening to the audiotapes, though I found that I was too distracted and did not like them much. However, I know of people who felt that this was very helpful to their studying. During this month, I took an average of 2 practice exams per week (both Academic Review and PsychPrep), as well as reading over the PsychPrep materials. I found it to be helpful to create a "cheat sheet" of information that I found I was seeing frequently, but could not recall quickly. This grew into a 2 page typed document that I would re-read multiple times as I was preparing for the exam. I liked this because it took out the anxiety element from wondering if I was going to remember Piaget's stages, because I kept looking at that.

My scores on the practice tests gradually improved over that month. Though there were dips, I could see a trend of improvement. My scores were primarily in the 65-75% range on practice exams. Not once did I break 80% on any of the practice exams. By the end of that month, I would be seeing 5-10 questions per exam that I had seen before and knew the answers to... and still didn't get 80%.

The week before the EPPP, I probably studied a total of 15 hours. At this point, I was quite tired of prepping. I spent the early part of the week taking the Retired EPPP questions, and score 83%. I felt confident because I have seen multiple times that people have said that this is the best indicator of your performance on the actual exam. I would agree. The question phrasing and difficulty level is the most similar. I felt that many of the other exam company's preparatory materials are unnecessarily specific, or complicated.

The actual exam was not as tough of an experience as I had imagined. Many people I spoke to said that they felt like they had failed leaving the exam. To be honest, I was comfortable during my exam and felt that most of the questions were reasonable. Even ones I did not know the answer to immediately, I could reason my way into an answer I felt was a 50/50 shot. I took the full time, minus about 10 minutes. On my exam, there were 2-3 questions that were very similar (not identical) to practice questions I had taken previously. I scored around the 90th percentile on the actual EPPP.

In terms of suggestions for future EPPP exam takers:
- Do not start too far in advance (e.g., 1 year). I suspect you will get burned out.
- Do be consistent with your preparation.
- Cheat sheets can be helpful in documenting what you are consistently forgetting.
- The test preparation company does not really matter. I found the Academic Review materials to be too dense, but that is my preference.
- You will likely bomb your first practice exam, and not score very well in any of your practice exams. As long as you are scoring in the 65-75% range, I think you are doing well.
- Practice exams are worth more than re-reading the preparation texts. Take as many of them as you can. It helps with your understanding of what questions will look like, and also gets you into the exam mindset.
- Go to your exam site a week in advance. Scope it out. Get comfortable with the site, and its operations. It will make exam day much less stressful, especially if you know where to park.

Thanks to all who have participated in this thread so far.

I took a practice test in August of 2012 and scored 101/200. I took several practice tests more recently and scored in the 70% range on about 3 different tests from different companies--the retired items test, PsychPrep, and academic review. I just got my EPPP score back and I got a scaled score of 574--or just about 70%. In my experience, the practice tests had good predictive validity (though I've heard from many others that they failed all the practices and aced the actual exam.) My goal was to BARELY pass because I didn't want to accidentally waste a lot of time on the exam. I had a fantasy about walking into a testing center cold with no studying at all, but the $500+ risk was enough of an incentive to study that I didn't. Still not sure if I could have passed without studying, but I'm glad I won't have to take it again.

My study strategy was to listen to the recorded lectures from PsychPrep about 1-2 times each, and take several practice exams. I went over the practice exam answers in depth. On the way to the test, I was listening to the lectures and got one answer right on the exam that I wouldn't have otherwise!

I found AATBS to be highly similar to Academic Review - but I did use both methods which I found helpful and helped me feel more prepared. Perhaps consider other practise questions from another company to change things up a bit? I liked the domain specific practise questions on AR too, they helped me target weaker areas.
Thank you...I appreciated your wisdom and will most likely do that. I just got back from the AATBS workshop and hope that will help as well!!!

Hi everyone! I'm wondering if anyone has ever requested the Examination Feedback: Role Feedback Report from the ASPPB... Even though I haven't received my score yet, I need to get licensed asap for my job. So, I'm thinking of requesting the Feedback, just to see what my weakest areas were, so I can start studying again, in case I need to retake the exam. If you've ever requested this Feedback, was it helpful? I know they report T-scores, but I couldn't find any conversion tables for the EPPP anywhere on the net. Thanks a bunch!

Unless, you are going to be fired, i would spare yourself the unecessary torture. :)

I'm sitting for it tomorrow, so I welcome everyone's positive thoughts and vibes!!! I feel ready, though a little nervous, of course! ;)

Hello EPPPers!

I just received my EPPP scores and I passed with a score of 555. I am not enthusiastic at all because I REALLY KNEW I failed the exam. I took the exam earlier this month and left feeling as though I had failed the exam, which I expected. I told my family I failed and not to expect otherwise. I took the exam KNOWING that I would fail, because I assumed that I needed to score into the 70s and high 80s on the first administration of the practice exams to receive a passing score on the EPPP. My first administration scores never passed a 70 and I assumed the reason my scores on the practice tests increased was due to practice effects . So I went into the EPPP viewing it as an expensive $600 PEPPO. I must admit I felt a bit gratified when I reviewed the EPPP questions, because they seemed very familiar, they "felt" like AATBS and AR questions. I found myself saying a couple of times, "this question is EXTREMELY similar to the questions I encountered on the AR practice tests!" I also found myself saying "What the....!" and "EPPP!" and "AHHHH!"

It was this forum that gave me an inkling of hope that I had at least a 1% chance of passing the exam.

After I took the exam, I began studying again knowing I would have to begin this process all over again. I started thinking about what I had done wrong and how I could remedy the problem which caused me to fail. I ordered more EPPP materials, made out more flash cards, and re-read two more sections in my materials. Today I was planning to take another practice exam. When I received the news that I passed, I was numb. I am still numb and in shock. I feel like I am dreaming. I double checked my social security number to be sure that it was correct. I just reviewed my letter again. It's hard for me to accept that I passed.

I would like to know has anyone else experienced this?

My study methods and practice test scores:

I studied on average 10-22 hours a week for about five mos. Two months before the test date I was studying up to 27 hrs a week.
I used AATBS reading materials, the neuropsych section from AR and old AR practice tests. I really liked AATBS. The material was quite comprehensive and concise. I would use these materials again, if I had to. I rarely said to myself, "that topic was not in my reading materials."
I liked the AR practice tests because they helped me to understand the format of the questions that I might see on the actual exam and helped me improve my test taking skills.
I listened to the AATBS content CDs at least 2-3x (maybe more).
I read through the reading materials 2x
I used StudyPsych's EPPP flashcard app and reviewed all of the various 12 content areas at least 2x
I created my own flash cards using Ankidroid app (highly recommend). I love that you can add pics to the flash cards. Furthermore, it interfaces with your computer so that you can add flash cards on your computer and transfer them to your phone. It also spaces the cards so that you are reviewing them at a frequency that allows you to learn and remember the content.
I used eppp material/suggestions posted on EPPP yahoo groups to help me learn the psychopharm, neuropsych, and psych assessment materials.
I reviewed Youtube videos and other online sources to deepen my understanding of a specific topic.
Any test questions that I missed I would add them to my Ankidroid and Studypsych flash card decks for review.
I actively studied the concepts and used various strategies to help me remember the content (i.e., using pics, acronyms, rhymes, etc.)
I used the test taking strategies suggested by AATBS.
I took eight AR practice tests 2-3x a piece.
My scores ranged from 59-64 first administration, 77-79 second administration, and 82-87 third administration. I took one AATBS practice test the week of the exam and received a 70 on this test. I was discouraged by this result, because I live in NY and needed a 75 or higher to pass the exam.
I guess something worked. My attitude throughout my studies was to study as much as possible and enjoy learning about new stuff. I am always a student at heart.

It's really strange not to study. Now what do I do? ;-)

Last edited:
Congratulations on passing Bonsai!!!!! I am taking the exam in three weeks and need to get a 75 for NY as well. Is there anything not covered on AR that was covered extensively on the exam? Or was it more items covered in your study materials that were worded differently?

Congratulations soon-to-be-licensed psychologist!

Hello EPPPers!

I just received my EPPP scores and I passed with a score of 555. I am not enthusiastic at all because I REALLY KNEW I failed the exam. I took the exam earlier this month and left feeling as though I had failed the exam, which I expected. I told my family I failed and not to expect otherwise. I took the exam KNOWING that I would fail, because I assumed that I needed to score into the 70s and high 80s on the first administration of the practice exams to receive a passing score on the EPPP. My first administration scores never passed a 70 and I assumed the reason my scores on the practice tests increased was due to practice effects . So I went into the EPPP viewing it as an expensive $600 PEPPO. I must admit I felt a bit gratified when I reviewed the EPPP questions, because they seemed very familiar, they "felt" like AATBS and AR questions. I found myself saying a couple of times, "this question is EXTREMELY similar to the questions I encountered on the AR practice tests!" I also found myself saying "What the....!" and "EPPP!" and "AHHHH!"

It was this forum that gave me an inkling of hope that I had at least a 1% chance of passing the exam.

After I took the exam, I began studying again knowing I would have to begin this process all over again. I started thinking about what I had done wrong and how I could remedy the problem which caused me to fail. I ordered more EPPP materials, made out more flash cards, and re-read two more sections in my materials. Today I was planning to take another practice exam. When I received the news that I passed, I was numb. I am still numb and in shock. I feel like I am dreaming. I double checked my social security number to be sure that it was correct. I just reviewed my letter again. It's hard for me to accept that I passed.

I would like to know has anyone else experienced this?

My study methods and practice test scores:

I studied on average 10-22 hours a week for about five mos. Two months before the test date I was studying up to 27 hrs a week.
I used AATBS reading materials, the neuropsych section from AR and old AR practice tests. I really liked AATBS. The material was quite comprehensive and concise. I would use these materials again, if I had to. I rarely said to myself, "that topic was not in my reading materials."
I liked the AR practice tests because they helped me to understand the format of the questions that I might see on the actual exam and helped me improve my test taking skills.
I listened to the AATBS content CDs at least 2-3x (maybe more).
I read through the reading materials 2x
I used StudyPsych's EPPP flashcard app and reviewed all of the various 12 content areas at least 2x
I created my own flash cards using Ankidroid app (highly recommend). I love that you can add pics to the flash cards. Furthermore, it interfaces with your computer so that you can add flash cards on your computer and transfer them to your phone. It also spaces the cards so that you are reviewing them at a frequency that allows you to learn and remember the content.
I used eppp material/suggestions posted on EPPP yahoo groups to help me learn the psychopharm, neuropsych, and psych assessment materials.
I reviewed Youtube videos and other online sources to deepen my understanding of a specific topic.
Any test questions that I missed I would add them to my Ankidroid and Studypsych flash card decks for review.
I actively studied the concepts and used various strategies to help me remember the content (i.e., using pics, acronyms, rhymes, etc.)
I used the test taking strategies suggested by AATBS.
I took eight AR practice tests 2-3x a piece.
My scores ranged from 59-64 first administration, 77-79 second administration, and 82-87 third administration. I took one AATBS practice test the week of the exam and received a 70 on this test. I was discouraged by this result, because I live in NY and needed a 75 or higher to pass the exam.
I guess something worked. My attitude throughout my studies was to study as much as possible and enjoy learning about new stuff. I am always a student at heart.

It's really strange not to study. Now what do I do? ;-)

Congratulations on passing Bonsai!!!!! I am taking the exam in three weeks and need to get a 75 for NY as well. Is there anything not covered on AR that was covered extensively on the exam? Or was it more items covered in your study materials that were worded differently?

Congratulations soon-to-be-licensed psychologist!

Thanks AC1234 for the encouragement! :)

I just used one section from older AR reading materials (i.e.neuropsych) and used older AR practice exams. To be honest, my mind has blanked on many of the questions from the exam. I do not know why they require you to sign a nondisclosure agreement, because you forget 99% of the exam questions anyways. I can definitely tell you that when I took the exam there were a couple of questions that were VERY similar ;-) to the AR test questions that I saw in my test packet. I do not know which version of the exam you will have, but it was a bit comforting knowing that I would at least get a couple of questions right. Before I took the exam I assumed that the test was going to be in pig Latin, because many people said how confusing and how dissimilar the questions were from the questions in their study materials. Let me say that the majority of the time during the exam I felt the way I did when I took an AR practice test for the first time; I felt as though I was wandering into uncharted territory. However, the test questions were not in pig Latin, they were familiar. The test and I could engage in a dialogue and I knew what was expected of me when I was answering a question. During the exam my inner dialogue was, "Ok this is an ethics question. I have never seen you before but I know you are probably describing this issue" or "this is an ethics question that is describing a very easy concept in a convoluted manner JUST like on my AR tests and I have no idea how to answer the question" :-( I would then curse and shake my fist in the air (not really LOL).

I do not want to scare you, but the night before the exam I became very paranoid and began studying some of the minute details of certain topics (e.g., stats) because I was afraid that it might appear on the exam. I remember saying to myself, "that won't appear on the exam, its not one of the major concepts." The exact thing that I studied was on the exam! Whew, I could not believe that. From this experience I learned that the test materials adequately prepare you for the exam and it is important that you take nothing for granted. These were items that were not extensively covered in my AR practice tests, but were covered in my AR and AATBS study materials. Understandably AR practice tests tends to drill you on the most commonly seen topics on the EPPP rather than on minutiae.

I would definitely be prepared to leave the test feeling as though you do not know where you stand and dare I say, you have failed. Rest assured that you are in the majority in this regard and there is an 80% pass rate. :)

I hope I answered your question. Please let me know if something does not make sense or you have any additional questions. I am always willing to offer support to my fellow EPPPers.

That was a huge help! Thanks so much =]

I am definitely suffering from severe anxiety about this test, but hopefully I will wind up in your position in a few weeks. The "75" for NY is definitely one of the things scaring me. Agh, NY! Were they fairly prompt in sending out your letter?

Thanks AC1234 for the encouragement! :)

I just used one section from older AR reading materials (i.e.neuropsych) and used older AR practice exams. To be honest, my mind has blanked on many of the questions from the exam. I do not know why they require you to sign a nondisclosure agreement, because you forget 99% of the exam questions anyways. I can definitely tell you that when I took the exam there were a couple of questions that were VERY similar ;-) to the AR test questions that I saw in my test packet. I do not know which version of the exam you will have, but it was a bit comforting knowing that I would at least get a couple of questions right. Before I took the exam I assumed that the test was going to be in pig Latin, because many people said how confusing and how dissimilar the questions were from the questions in their study materials. Let me say that the majority of the time during the exam I felt the way I did when I took an AR practice test for the first time; I felt as though I was wandering into uncharted territory. However, the test questions were not in pig Latin, they were familiar. The test and I could engage in a dialogue and I knew what was expected of me when I was answering a question. During the exam my inner dialogue was, "Ok this is an ethics question. I have never seen you before but I know you are probably describing this issue" or "this is an ethics question that is describing a very easy concept in a convoluted manner JUST like on my AR tests and I have no idea how to answer the question" :-( I would then curse and shake my fist in the air (not really LOL).

I do not want to scare you, but the night before the exam I became very paranoid and began studying some of the minute details of certain topics (e.g., stats) because I was afraid that it might appear on the exam. I remember saying to myself, "that won't appear on the exam, its not one of the major concepts." The exact thing that I studied was on the exam! Whew, I could not believe that. From this experience I learned that the test materials adequately prepare you for the exam and it is important that you take nothing for granted. These were items that were not extensively covered in my AR practice tests, but were covered in my AR and AATBS study materials. Understandably AR practice tests tends to drill you on the most commonly seen topics on the EPPP rather than on minutiae.

I would definitely be prepared to leave the test feeling as though you do not know where you stand and dare I say, you have failed. Rest assured that you are in the majority in this regard and there is an 80% pass rate. :)

I hope I answered your question. Please let me know if something does not make sense or you have any additional questions. I am always willing to offer support to my fellow EPPPers.

That was a huge help! Thanks so much =]

I am definitely suffering from severe anxiety about this test, but hopefully I will wind up in your position in a few weeks. The "75" for NY is definitely one of the things scaring me. Agh, NY! Were they fairly prompt in sending out your letter?

I know what you mean about NY. NY has to be "special," they can't do it like everyone else. ;-)
Well at least you made it this far: GREs, grad school and obtaining your degree. I would say that the worst is behind you and you have achieved quite a lot. To answer your question I took my exam on the 6/6 which meant that my scores would be sent out to NYS Lic Board around 6/15. I received my scores in the mail on 6/20, so not too bad. Thank goodness I received the scores so quickly because it was difficult waiting even though I KNEW I had failed. ;-)

In case anyone is interested, I did request the Examination Feedback: Role Feedback Report and just received it. It reports t scores for each of the 8 content areas; the t scores are "in comparison with that of first-time doctoral test takers." My mean t score was 60.12 and the weighted mean was 60.44. Still waiting to hear about my actual score and will be curious how the t scores correspond to it.